Charles Finney?

Feb 27, 2014
Texas
✟8,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on this man? Was wondering if his works were worth a read. I've seen a lot of criticism of him online but it seems to be completely from Calvinists who don't like him for not being a Calvinist. I've heard he denied original sin and was open theist but I can't confirm this. Charles Finney, thoughts?

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on this man? Was wondering if his works were worth a read. I've seen a lot of criticism of him online but it seems to be completely from Calvinists who don't like him for not being a Calvinist. I've heard he denied original sin and was open theist but I can't confirm this. Charles Finney, thoughts?

his works are certainly worth reading. highly recommended .it would be a loss to not read them

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I was looking up his denomination this morning, and was surprised to see he started out Presbyterian.

Timing means so much when a person has a message to deliver. Every reformation was based on a need to reform, and each one represents a different type of pendulum swing.

He spoke in different locations too, so God might have given him different messages for different congregations and cities. Not that the gospel should differ, or a person should bend principles, but that what was recorded might not have defined his complete personal beliefs.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was looking up his denomination this morning, and was surprised to see he started out Presbyterian.

Timing means so much when a person has a message to deliver. Every reformation was based on a need to reform, and each one represents a different type of pendulum swing.

He spoke in different locations too, so God might have given him different messages for different congregations and cities. Not that the gospel should differ, or a person should bend principles, but that what was recorded might not have defined his complete personal beliefs.

one time he visited a factory ... such was the annointing upon him merely looking at a lady working on the factory floor who had been frivolous(mocking) toward him ,caused her to come under the conviction of the holy Spirit and she began to weep ..this spread so they had to close the factory for the afternoon as so many began to weep and cry to the lord for forgiveness ....

yes i often find such servants of the lord worth Reading :)

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Not that you asked but may I suggest Andrew Murray.... :)
I heartily second this, I find that before may visitation six years ago, I enjoyed Finney's writings far more than I do today. He pointed out the flaws of a sin filled, self centered life, the evil of it, but seemed to leave me to myself to try to figure out how to walk in an obedient manner, other than of course to try harder.

But even so, it did drive me to seek deeper for real deliverance outside of my efforts, and brought me further along my path of brokeneness, which is a basic need of the heart in order to see the truth, that we can be kept from falling. How? By our putting off the old nature by faith and putting on the new one in the same way.

The new nature does not need guilt to drive us to obedience. But a mabn walking in the old flesh does need guilt to be driven to hate that flesh. The new man is sensitive to the wooings of the Spirit, and responsive when the Lord asks us to confess when we slip and believe again that we are new, and that sin really does not have dominion over us. Not so with the old nature.

Murray on the other hand simply had a love relationship with God, and it oozed through his writings, which are many, and all profitable. I especially liked Absolute Surrender. I remember one instance where he talks of a king whose armies were victorious over a rebel kingdom. He had the defeated man brought before him and said this:

"Your lands are mine, your wives are mine, your gold is mine, your children are mine. All that you have, all that you are, even your time, they are all now mine." And the defeated king looked up and said "Even as thou sayest."

That is absolute surrender, and is what the Lord is looking for in our hearts. Does He do this to lord it over us, or to bless us beyond measure? We fear God's will for us for the most part, and because of our lack of trust and unbelief, we do not see His will for us as "that good, and perfect and acceptable will of God." We think God will take us to places we do not want to be, forced to do things we do not want to do, and we forget that our God will first make us WANT to do it. And what is bizarre is that as we walk along the path opf our own will, we are neither happy, nor joyous, nor victorious, and yet how we have been convinced that we dare not give it up to God.

One other author who is a true blessing to me has been Watchman Nee.

Blessings many,

Gideon

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you are the type of reader that can pick through what is being said without being offended when the writer says something you think is off, then by all means read Finney. What I like about Finney is his intensity and hunger to follow God.

Upvote 0
W

wayne blair

There is an excellent book on Finney's emphasis entitled "Don't Blame It All On Adam" (Bethany Publishers, Minneapolis). A Finney biography makes an excellent read. The Systematic Theology is weighty and tends toward his goal of entire sanctification (an objective that will never be reached by flesh this side of Glory - although holiness adherents do well to pay heed to 2 Corinthians 7: 1). Here was a man instrumental in over 500,000 conversions in an age without mass media. His very reverent presence created a sense of "present obligation felt". His crusades with controversial methods were often preceded by a visit and season of prayer from the intercessor "Father Nash". Finney accepted President's post at Oberlin College upon the express condition that it would be race integrated (in days before the Civil War).

Read about a troubled New York State lawyer who left his office and dusty books for a determined vigil in the bush where God broke through, and released another Paul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums