Visit site
✟16,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Last week I was pumping gas and a weird guy with a Washington plate pulled up beside me and begged for cash. He held out his hand with a ring and insisted I take it, that he needs money to tank up. His wife looked embarrassed so I decided to listen, because I could tell something was wrong. He told me he lost his wallet, said he was rich, that I could have his ring and then he took another off his finger and begged me for money. I immediately thought, well, if he's rich, why doesn't he call his bank? Write a check. Anything, why is he asking this nobody in a minimum wage earning uniform for cash. I gave him a 20 and his rings back, because I know from travel that thieves like to hawk their stuff at gas stations. The gold rings felt phony in my hand, I quickly guessed by their weight (I couldn't just bite them, for several reasons). Was I charitable with this guy? He might have been telling the truth, but I got the impression he was embarrassed and lying to me. When I gave him the money and his rings back he said "bless you, God bless you, God bless you" but I don't know if what I did was blessworthy. I certainly didn't think so. I felt like I was getting rid of an annoyance the only way I knew how. Is helping a a man who can lie so easily to save face a blessing on me?

Reactions: dayhiker

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like he was very pushy. Desperation can make people pushy tho. But as you say, if he's so rich, he should be able to go to his bank and get fixed up there.

I've heard of people trying that type of thing with costume jewelry and stuff where the victim thinks he got a nice ring or something and later discovers he essentially paid $30 for a Crackerjack prize.

The world is a dangerous place, esp these days. If someone approaches me at a gas pump, I find a way to make them leave. I can be persuasive.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
...I felt like I was getting rid of an annoyance the only way I knew how. Is helping a a man who can lie so easily to save face a blessing on me?
Helping those who ask is always a blessing. If they are lying but you still help them, it's twice the blessing... the annoyance spoils it though... the proper disposition is to feel thankful for the opportunity to help.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last week I was pumping gas and a weird guy with a Washington plate pulled up beside me and begged for cash. He held out his hand with a ring and insisted I take it, that he needs money to tank up. His wife looked embarrassed so I decided to listen, because I could tell something was wrong. He told me he lost his wallet, said he was rich, that I could have his ring and then he took another off his finger and begged me for money. I immediately thought, well, if he's rich, why doesn't he call his bank? Write a check. Anything, why is he asking this nobody in a minimum wage earning uniform for cash. I gave him a 20 and his rings back, because I know from travel that thieves like to hawk their stuff at gas stations. The gold rings felt phony in my hand, I quickly guessed by their weight (I couldn't just bite them, for several reasons). Was I charitable with this guy? He might have been telling the truth, but I got the impression he was embarrassed and lying to me. When I gave him the money and his rings back he said "bless you, God bless you, God bless you" but I don't know if what I did was blessworthy. I certainly didn't think so. I felt like I was getting rid of an annoyance the only way I knew how. Is helping a a man who can lie so easily to save face a blessing on me?

His lying is not your problem. we are not accounatable to God for others' sins.

you did a nice thing.

My only concern is if you are earning minimum wage, are you in a position to give?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If one can't give with a happy heart ... better not to give at all ... is the way I am and the way I raised my son ... works for us ;o)

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If one can't give with a happy heart ... better not to give at all ... is the way I am and the way I raised my son ... works for us ;o)

i dont tithe and i rarely give since covid....i lost income so need to kep what i have to pay bills

Upvote 0

Lycurgus89

Mel Gibson's biggest fan
Jul 14, 2020
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What really bugged me was telling me he was rich. I don't want to know that. I was ready to give him an ear full, just because a rich guy from a rich state is going to have a bank. Everybody needs help sometime, no need to bring one's class into the matter.

Upvote 0