Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, having stopped at more than one stop light and talking with those asking for alms, I have found that a lot of them are people who, through no fault of their own, have been run over by life and our wonderful government will not help them. I'm thinking in particular of a Navy veteran, Tony, who used to beg in Baltimore where I went often on business. The VA kept running this poor guy around in circles. Sadly, one day a car came hurtling down the hill where he begged at the bottom and killed him instantly.

Then there are the mentally ill. Thanks to the Reagan Administration closing up the mental health facilities, like the mental health hospital on Cameron Street in Harrisburg, those who are in desperate need of help are out on the streets. And then, yes, there are those who could work but are just juking the system.

It's not all that cut and dried.
Lord, have mercy. :( Yes. Our government doesn't have enough real safety nets for people in need, but also for universal healthcare, paid maternity and paternity leave for at least 6 months. What gets me is our government goes on about family values and how important is but does little to support the actual needs of families (those of which I mentioned). It's more like this "Every man for himself" attitude, and that really bothers me.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is something youtube just recommended to me. It's very educational - especially at 3:29. Regarding a panhandler saying 80% of the money given to them is used to buy drugs and people knowing that - "They don't care because the ones that give the money--be honest--gives out of religion. The Bible tells you to give without judgement."

Last edited:
Upvote 0