Changing of Kiev's Jurisdiction in 1680s

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always understood, until a few months ago, that Constantinople permnanetly transferred Kiev to Moscow's jursidiction. Recently, it is claimed by some that this transfer was always understood to be temporary, at least in Constantinople.

My question is, what is our evidence for each side? DO we know what the documents in the 1680s said? DO we know how they have been intepretted by both sides afterwards?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the strongest evidence is in how the Church has acted. you cannot recognize Met Onufry has being the territorial head of Ukraine, and then pull that plug from him when he did nothing to be deposed or removed or whatever.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the strongest evidence is in how the Church has acted. you cannot recognize Met Onufry has being the territorial head of Ukraine, and then pull that plug from him when he did nothing to be deposed or removed or whatever.
Has the plug been pulled from him?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has the plug been pulled from him?

according to what Constantinople has said, yes. you can't enter another bishop's territory without their blessing.

so you can't say Met Onufry is the head of Ukraine, and then turn around and say he is not, especially when he was never under you to begin with and hasn't done anything to warrant such action.

fortunately, no one else has agreed with Constantinople.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
according to what Constantinople has said, yes. you can't enter another bishop's territory without their blessing.

so you can't say Met Onufry is the head of Ukraine, and then turn around and say he is not, especially when he was never under you to begin with and hasn't done anything to warrant such action.

fortunately, no one else has agreed with Constantinople.
How did ROCOR's mission to the Soviet Union work, then?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
not sure, but that's irrelevant. you don't justify current bad behavior by looking to previous bad behavior.
Not justifying, just asking, because if part of the issue is that unrepentant schismatics can't be received, and ROCOR was unrepentant for intruding on ROC territory (at least I never read that they as a jurisdiction repented), then the ROC received unrepentant schismatics 12 years ago. Not 100% certain, but if this is the case then it needs to be part of the discussion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not justifying, just asking, because if part of the issue is that unrepentant schismatics can't be received, and ROCOR was unrepentant for intruding on ROC territory (at least I never read that they as a jurisdiction repented), then the ROC received unrepentant schismatics 12 years ago. Not 100% certain, but if this is the case then it needs to be part of the discussion.

except that both ROCOR and the MP mutually forgave and sought forgiveness.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is explained in the document, it seems.

I have read the document. however, unless I missed something, why wasn't this brought up when Met Onufry was enthroned, and Constantinople was present?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have read the document. however, unless I missed something, why wasn't this brought up when Met Onufry was enthroned, and Constantinople was present?
Oh, sorry. Good question. I suppose they were still getting their documents in order?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
exactly, so why hasn't Constantinople EVER pointed this out until now?
Don't know. I am curious if we have documents subsequent to the 1686 document that allow for the Russian church to exercise jurisdiction in Ukraine and not to commemorate the EP first (a condition in the 1686 letter).

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't know. I am curious if we have documents subsequent to the 1686 document that allow for the Russian church to exercise jurisdiction in Ukraine and not to commemorate the EP first (a condition in the 1686 letter).
Yeah, I'd like to read a similar document from the MP.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, sorry. Good question. I suppose they were still getting their documents in order?

at the time they expressed full support of Met Onufry, and had no say in his being made the head of Kiev.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I certainly hope something clear comes out. they do claim to have a ton of documentation, so we'll see.

Upvote 0