Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The author approached ministry leaders all over Australia and asked them to give a brief answer to the question “what are the major challenges, and/or ministry opportunities, facing Australian churches in 2018?”
Interesting Times: Challenges & Opportunities for Australian Churches in 2018 - Thinking of God

I found the answers encouraging and inclusive.

and for a US view Challenges Facing the Church in 2018

I honestly tried to read this (the Australian article) Zoii but I eventually gave up.

Basically its the same old bucket of theological blancmange that takes up space opining about the sinful state of society, making a virtue out of failure and pretending that Christian persecution, if not actually extant, is on the near horizon.

If there's a theme here it's: "We're doing so badly we must be doing well"

I think Christianity will hang on in Australia, but I suspect it has a few more percentage points of decline before it's reduced to a hard core of Hillsong handwavers and elderly Anglican ladies.
OB

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I honestly tried to read this (the Australian article) Zoii but I eventually gave up.

Basically its the same old bucket of theological blancmange that takes up space opining about the sinful state of society, making a virtue out of failure and pretending that Christian persecution, if not actually extant, is on the near horizon.

I think Christianity will hang on in Australia, but I suspect it has a few more percentage points of decline before it's reduced to a hard core of Hillsong handwavers and elderly Anglican ladies.
OB
Those cohorts you talk of have significant influence in Australian politics

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

OB
upload_2018-2-14_10-57-1.png

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Those cohorts you talk of have significant influence in Australian politics

I agree and it worries me, although I'd dispute 'significant' influence. What influence there is has the advantage of being well placed, particularly within the Lib/National coalition. I am however optimistic about the Australian electorate's disinterest in (and distaste for) mixing religion and politics. The recent SSM vote is a case in point.

Then again if we're still 50% Christian-ish it seems reasonable that, at least some, of our pollies are representative of this group.
OB

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree and it worries me, although I'd dispute 'significant' influence. What influence there is has the advantage of being well placed, particularly within the Lib/National coalition. I am however optimistic about the Australian electorate's disinterest in (and distaste for) mixing religion and politics. The recent SSM vote is a case in point.

Then again if we're still 50% Christian-ish it seems reasonable that, at least some, of our pollies are representative of this group.
OB
In the SSM case, it was the christian lobby which stopped it going to a conscience vote and fostered the lengthy process of a plebiscite. Those same politicians even after the plebiscite, did not vote with their electorate. Christianity does have considerable influence in policy matters that are of a moral nature.

For Christians its a time of head-scratching. The scandal after scandal related to child sexual abuse, followed up to present day where we have a deputy prime-minister doggedly against anything that affects christian morality (eg he was staunchly against the Human Papillo Virus Immunisation in the belief it fostered promiscuity) only to find that he has betrayed his wife for what appears a lengthy period having an affair with a staff member, has left his wife and children and impregnated the staff member. What does this do for Christians when those who represent christian causes, are the ones who fail to uphold the moral standards they espouse.

On the upside the link I attached offered views that were very positive for women, who, in my view, can be at a disadvantage within more orthodox christian religions.

Upvote 0