Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I found this video useful when it comes to the gist of why we split with the EO and Catholics. It's got some nice tidbits in the last 10 minutes or so like talking about the Church doesn't traditionally use some EO terms like Theosis but rather more traditional ones like Sanctification and Grace rather than "energies".

I would recommend it for some folks especially @Thatgirloncfforums

It is interesting that we have used EO books etc. for the English speaking side of the Church, because sometimes those have been more articulate and seem more sophisticated being written by native speakers, compared to Arabic translations of Pope Shenhouda or our other bishops. But the speaker wants us to not loose our own unique tradition and heritage as an ancient voice of Christianity (that sort of thing has happened in the past with Latinization, Byzantinization etc.)

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
1) I appreciate the idea that the councils vote on what has always been believed (as opposed to decide)
2) I didn't know that there were different forms of Greek
3) Miracles=God, Eating=Man; sounds like a book I read by James White lol
4) Cyril.in prison sneaking letters through an old man! That's fabulous.
5) Rival councils. Fun, fun, fun
6) Cyril and John make up. Yay!
7) St Cyril hated in Antioch. Woah. That kills any simplistic claim to apostolic succession.
8) A lot of personalities involved in discerning truth. Not helpful

Continuing later at 17:45

I found this video useful when it comes to the gist of why we split with the EO and Catholics. It's got some nice tidbits in the last 10 minutes or so like talking about the Church doesn't traditionally use some EO terms like Theosis but rather more traditional ones like Sanctification and Grace rather than "energies".

It is interesting that we have used EO books etc. for the English speaking side of the Church, because sometimes those have been more articulate and seem more sophisticated being written by native speakers, compared to Arabic translations of Pope Shenhouda or our other bishops. But the speaker wants us to not loose our own unique tradition and heritage as an ancient voice of Christianity (that sort of thing has happened in the past with Latinization, Byzantinization etc.)

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the vid. I wasn't able to finish it here and comment, I had to finish it on Youtube. But I sent it to a friend.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the vid. I wasn't able to finish it here and comment, I had to finish it on Youtube. But I sent it to a friend.

Yeah I got a lot out of it. I watched it a second time.

I once had this Syriac Orthodox online friend who live in Los Angeles. He was a convert, from some kind of agnostic background. Unlike me, he was very good with languages so he learned Syriac and Aramaic. But he did this kind of a testimony why he went OO and I really wish I had saved it, because that website eventually went down after a few years. But he was very good talking about the specifics of the language misunderstandings and all the sociopoliticial stuff going on etc.

I wish would have had more appreciation for the fickleness of the internet in the 2000s as far as archiving cool stuff you find with printouts in a binder. Because there has been a number of things I wish I would have saved on various Christian topics over the years that has eventually disappeared with no web sites appearing to fill the content void.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wish would have had more appreciation for the fickleness of the internet in the 2000s as far as archiving cool stuff you find with printouts in a binder. Because there has been a number of things I wish I would have saved on various Christian topics over the years that has eventually disappeared with no web sites appearing to fill the content void.

I feel the same way about Fr. Peter Farrington's podcast series on the Orthodox Christology of HH Mor Severus (seemingly either developed out of or into an article on the EO website Orthodoxwiki, of all places), formerly hosted on Podbean and last I checked (a while ago, I'll admit) hosted nowhere. Not sure what happened there, since as far as I know Podbean itself still exists.

(This wasn't even that long ago, either, since I've only been attending OO churches for the last ten years, and I definitely didn't develop an interest in HH on my own! Oof.)

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,449.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't suppose you can recall the url to search on the wayback machine? Probably the only benefit in websites that don't fix dead links. You could get lucky and find a dead link on an old website after doing a search on Fr Peter.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't suppose you can recall the url to search on the wayback machine? Probably the only benefit in websites that don't fix dead links. You could get lucky and find a dead link on an old website after doing a search on Fr Peter.

Yeah a friend of mine has talked about the way back machine before. I seem to recall if he found a sites he really liked he would actually copying them to his hard drive to prevent such problems and keeping those files as a kind of digital archive.

Upvote 0