Chair Philosophy -- Funniest joke I've ever heard!

Matthew-59

Space Invader
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
✟252,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chair Philosophy

An eccentric philosophy professor gave a one question final exam
after a semester dealing with a broad array of topics. The class was
already seated and ready to go when the professor picked up his chair,
plopped it on his desk and wrote on the board: "Using everything we
have learned this semester, prove that this chair does not exist."

Fingers flew, erasers erased, notebooks were filled in furious fashion.
Some students wrote over 30 pages in one hour attempting to refute
the existence of the chair. One member of the class however, was up
and finished in less than a minute.

Weeks later when the grades were posted, the rest of the group
wondered how he could have gotten an "A" when he had barely written
anything at all. His answer consisted of two words: "What chair?"

Matthew-59

Space Invader
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
✟252,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Explanation of why I think this joke is so funny, in case anybody was wondering....

It epitomizes the complete idiocy of some philosophy being taught in a lot of colleges and universities. For example.... Rene Descarte's supposed great philosophical mind came up with, "I think therefore I am". WRONG!! We "are" because God made us. Our thinking ability was just something our creator endowed us with. Just because we can think does not prove why we exist, or that we exist. I did pass my philosophy course in university with a "B", but left with a slight roll of my eyes and a biting of my tongue as I walked out for the last time. LOL!! :)

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Explanation of why I think this joke is so funny, in case anybody was wondering....

It epitomizes the complete idiocy of some philosophy being taught in a lot of colleges and universities. For example.... Rene Descarte's supposed great philosophical mind came up with, "I think therefore I am". WRONG!! We "are" because God made us. Our thinking ability was just something our creator endowed us with. Just because we can think does not prove why we exist, or that we exist. I did pass my philosophy course in university with a "B", but left with a slight roll of my eyes and a biting of my tongue as I walked out for the last time. LOL!! :)

I think you may have missed the point of the cogito. It is not used to answer why exist, but it is used to prove that we do exist. However, it only proves that each individual himself exists. It forms the basis of the rest of Descartes' building up of his foundation of truth, which eventually culminates with God's existence. If you think the cogito does not prove that an individual person exists (in some fashion, not necessarily physically, mind you), then please post your refutation of such in the philosophy forum. I would be interested to see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

ayeess

LOL...I FEEL YOU, I remember in my philosophy class the first thing our T.A. said was that you can't ever answer because God said so. and that's unfortunate because there are certain things God wants us to refrain from doing and certain things he wants us to do. The university system prides itself on being open and teaching student to be "critical" but they really just want you to believe whatever they feed you. They remove things like God or other ways of thinking and do not give you the paradigm or words so that you can argue against their logic. I have certain professors who will openly mock God and I'll hear the whole class laugh and it just saddens me.

Reactions: Matthew-59
Upvote 0

Matthew-59

Space Invader
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
✟252,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LOL...I FEEL YOU, I remember in my philosophy class the first thing our T.A. said was that you can't ever answer because God said so. and that's unfortunate because there are certain things God wants us to refrain from doing and certain things he wants us to do. The university system prides itself on being open and teaching student to be "critical" but they really just want you to believe whatever they feed you. They remove things like God or other ways of thinking and do not give you the paradigm or words so that you can argue against their logic. I have certain professors who will openly mock God and I'll hear the whole class laugh and it just saddens me.
Exactly my point. You got that right. I agree that it is sad what is happening in our schools over the past 45+ years. God isn't even welcomed in our schools and when students come in with guns and start shooting up the place, they wonder why God didn't protect them. The filtration of "their" philosophy and ethics into society is the same effect. The chair philosophy joke, in and of itself is funny, but what's happening in our world is not so funny. But I digress into another topic, so will stop right here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.