Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I figure this forum will probably consist of the most cessationist, but please put this somewhere else if I am wrong.

My question is to understand from cessationists how God guides them to make decisions - where they will live, how to live out their vocation, etc.

Say you feel you would like to plant a church. How do you know you should? How do you know where you should? That sort of stuff.

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
My question is to understand from cessationists how God guides them to make decisions - where they will live, how to live out their vocation, etc.

While I am not a cessationist in the respect that I believe the gifts have stopped, I do believe that there are such things as tongues and healing, but that not every Christian is able to speak/pray in tongues or heal.

With that said, I do not ask God for help on decisions such as where to live or how to live out my vocation as an EMT. I believe these decisions are left up to us to decide on our own. That God doesn't want to tell us every little decision we should make and allows us to make our own decisions on the everyday living type of things.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I am not a cessationist in the respect that I believe the gifts have stopped, I do believe that there are such things as tongues and healing, but that not every Christian is able to speak/pray in tongues or heal.

With that said, I do not ask God for help on decisions such as where to live or how to live out my vocation as an EMT. I believe these decisions are left up to us to decide on our own. That God doesn't want to tell us every little decision we should make and allows us to make our own decisions on the everyday living type of things.

I think scripture says He has prepared works for us to walk in.

I think we can miss this if we call the shots and ignore the need to go to Him for advice.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I think scripture says He has prepared works for us to walk in.

I think we can miss this if we call the shots and ignore the need to go to Him for advice.

Maybe for spiritual things, but for our jobs? Not so much. Also, where we want to live? Again not so much.

All that becomes is micromanaging and I don't believe God created us to be micromanaged. He gave us intelligence for a reason. We should make our own decisions as to our job, as long as it isn't sinful as well as where to live.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello HatGuy. Perhaps the Lord leads believing 'cessationists' and believing 'Charismatics' in the same ways, only cessationists don't have so much of a floor show.

For example, a Cessationist could be aware of someone who is going through a hard time and is fearful and share a passage of scripture with them that ministers to them, for example:
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10)

The Charismatic on the other hand could share the scripture, but also might go along the lines of hauling the person out in front of the whole church and 'Thus sayeth the Lord', 'slaying the person in the Spirit', driving out a demon of fear, identifying trans-generational curses to peel the layers of healing, coughing out the window or getting them to open up to 'new manifestations of the Spirit', making animal calls or rolling about on the floor for example. The latter things being to a certain extent for ego and show. But the Lord would speak to both through the scripture.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe for spiritual things, but for our jobs? Not so much. Also, where we want to live? Again not so much.

All that becomes is micromanaging and I don't believe God created us to be micromanaged. He gave us intelligence for a reason. We should make our own decisions as to our job, as long as it isn't sinful as well as where to live.

Well, we have had 5 children and never owned a house.

However, we pray a lot about being guided the right way and again and again He puts us in beautiful houses quite miraculously.

Presently we are in a farmhouse with a ten year lease. That is unheard of in our country. I was even able to pray over the foundations and dedicate it to Jesus before the house was placed on the land.

This is in a private remote valley with amazing surroundings.

Honestly we can miss out on the better best if we don't ask.

He said 'You have not because you ask not...'

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, we have had 5 children and never owned a house.

However, we pray a lot about being guided the right way and again and again He puts us in beautiful houses quite miraculously.

Presently we are in a farmhouse with a ten year lease. That is unheard of in our country. I was even able to pray over the foundations and dedicate it to Jesus before the house was placed on the land.

This is in a private remote valley with amazing surroundings.

Honestly we can miss out on the better best if we don't ask.

He said 'You have not because you ask not...'

Good for you.

I don't see God as a genie who is there to grant me wishes.

I can see that we have a difference of theology or denomination and that's okay. I am never going to see it your way and you won't ever see it my way.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see God as a genie who is there to grant me wishes.

Nor do I...

I just ask to be led to whatever He has prepared for us...

By the way we are in a similar denomination, we attend an Anglican Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you mean it is not in scripture?

I didn't say that. I just disagree with how you are applying it.

As I said in an earlier post. neither of us will is going to see it the other person's way. I will never go to God for every little thing that I do. Too many people go to Him for even what they should wear that day or what they should eat for dinner that night. God is not a micro manager.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Isn't the answer going to be, "it's in the Bible?"

That's divine revelation given so that we may know God's will and purposes, etc., so why would anyone look elsewhere in preference to Scripture?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

That's divine revelation given so that we may know God's will and purposes, etc., so why would anyone look elsewhere in preference to Scripture?

Thank you! You said better than I was able to or I guess even alluded to!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I figure this forum will probably consist of the most cessationist, but please put this somewhere else if I am wrong.

I think our fellow members missed the fact your question was denomination specific and directed to the Reformed group, hence why you posted in the semper reformanda forum. No problem though.

As far as spiritual gifts are concerned, I think some have been made obsolete due to the fact they were only intended for the establishment of the church, like tongues and interpretation of tongues. Just my opinion.

Say you feel you would like to plant a church. How do you know you should? How do you know where you should? That sort of stuff.

Now a good specific example, and i will do my best to answer it.

The traditional Protestant position is Sola Scriptura in regard to leadership, we are not ruled over by a pope or so called spiritual superiors, like Roman Catholics and Eastern orthodox, respectively. Scripture is the final authority. So if a person claims to be called by God to plant a church that did not fit the criteria laid done by the Apostle Paul, that would mean someone is deceived or even worse telling lies. The spirit of God moved Paul to write those scriptures, so we know the source for his justification. So, how to check those who claim they are called, for example, a woman or a homosexual claims they are called to be a pastor. Once we have investigated the claim, tested it against the scripture we know there is a fallout, so this would mean the ''calling'' spirit is in contradiction with the divinely inspired scripture. So we then have to decide if scripture can be abrogated by denominational authority, and for all intents and purposes distrusting the scripture. Or we can accept the scripture as authoritative and reject any contradictory personal testimonies and follow the word of God, because it is the Reformed understanding that the word and spirit work together to produce good results. Regeneration is done by the word and spirit, Sanctification is done by word and spirit, so a person conflicting the two would be a false teacher and their calling a hoax, in my opinion and I think is pretty much in line with Reformed Protestant Position.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will never go to God for every little thing that I do. Too many people go to Him for even what they should wear that day or what they should eat for dinner that night. God is not a micro manager.

I agree but the bigger decisions should be put before Him.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does the bible tell you whether to start a business or where to live?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree but the bigger decisions should be put before Him.

I still disagree. I am more than capable of making those decisions on my own. I can use the Bible as a guide.

Does the bible tell you whether to start a business or where to live?

It doesn't need to. Those are your own decisions to make. God doesn't need to make them for you. He gave us intelligence so we can make our own decisions. The Bible does however guide us and it should be used for that purpose.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still disagree. I am more than capable of making those decisions on my own. I can use the Bible as a guide.

It doesn't need to. Those are your own decisions to make. God doesn't need to make them for you. He gave us intelligence so we can make our own decisions. The Bible does however guide us and it should be used for that purpose.

Jas 4:
13Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” 14Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. 15Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”

Upvote 0