✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Calvin was thoroughly cessationist:

Institutes 2.15.2 – “This, however, remains certain: the perfect doctrine he has brought has made an end to all prophecies. All those, then, who, not content with the gospel, patch it with something extraneous to it, detract from Christ’s authority.”

Institutes 4.19.6 - “Did this ministry which the apostles then performed, still remain in the Church, it would also behave us to observe the laying on of hands; but since that gift has ceased to be conferred, to what end is the laying on of hands? Assuredly the Holy Spirit is still present with the people of God … But those miraculous powers and manifest operations, which were distributed by the laying on of hands, have ceased. They were only for a time.”

Institutes 4.19.18 - “To designate the Holy Spirit and his gifts by oil is trite and common, (Psa 45: 8). But the gift of healing disappeared with the other miraculous powers which the Lord was pleased to give for a time, that it might render the new preaching of the gospel for ever wonderful.”

Institutes 4.19.19 - “The Lord, doubtless, is present with his people in all ages, and cures their sicknesses as often as there is need, not less than formerly; and yet he does not exert those manifest powers, nor dispense miracles by the hands of apostles, because that gift was temporary, and owing, in some measure, to the ingratitude of men, immediately ceased.”

Institutes 3:4 - “Those who preside over the government of the Church, according to the institution of Christ, are named by Paul, first, Apostles; secondly, Prophets; thirdly, Evangelists; fourthly, Pastors; and, lastly, Teachers (Eph. 4:11). Of these, only the two last have an ordinary office in the Church.

Commentary on Act 10:44 - The gift of tongues and other such like things are ceased long ago in the church. But the Spirit of understanding and of regeneration is a force and shall always be a force.

Commentary on Acts 21:9 - By this means the Lord meant to beautify the first beginnings of the gospel, when he raised up men and women to foretell things to come. Prophecies had now almost ceased many years among the Jews, to the end they might be more attentive and desirous to hear the new voice of the gospel. Therefore, seeing that prophesying, which was in a manner quite ceased, doth now after long time return again, it was a token of a more perfect state. Notwithstanding, it seemeth that the same was the reason why it ceased shortly after; for God did support the old people with diverse foretellings, until Christ should make an end of all prophecies. Therefore, it was meet that the new kingdom of Christ should be thus furnished and beautified with this furniture, that all men might know that that promised visitation of the Lord was present; and it was also expedient that it should last but for a short time, lest the faithful should always wait for some farther thing, or lest that curious wits might have occasion given to seek or invent some new thing ever now and then. For we know that when that ability and skill was taken away, there were, notwithstanding, many brain-sick fellows, who did boast that they were prophets; and also it may be that the frowardness of men did deprive the Church of this gift. But that one cause ought to be sufficient, in that God, by taking away prophecies, did testify that the end and perfection was present in Christ;

Commentary on Hebrews 1:1-2 - “When God speaks at the last times He intimates that there is no longer any reason to expect any new revelation. For it was not a Word in part that Christ brought but the final conclusion.”

As was Luther:

Sermons on the Gospels - “Thanks be to God that we have no longer any need of miracles; the Gospel doctrine has been established by signs and wonders sufficient, so that no one has any cause to doubt them.”

Commentary on Galatians 4 - "Paul explained the purpose of these miraculous gifts of the Spirit in I Corinthians 14:22 “Tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not.” Once the Church had been established and properly advertised by these miracles, the visible appearance of the Holy Ghost ceased."
Both Calven, and Luther came out of Catholicism, therefore both were taught that the Gifts ceased, they both were taught the belief of the need for Infant Baptism, that doesn't mean because they believed what they did, it means either of those two things are both the truth.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Isn't all that God wills, His Perfect Will?
Does God have anything less than His Perfect Will?

Are you of the belief, God moves us (Believers) around like a bunch of manikins, are you always in the exact spot where God wants you to be in, when He wants you to be there?

My belief is, it's not some Gift of the Holy Spirit which we are endowed with during the occasion of our Salvation for "Our Ministry" The Holy Spirit will manifest Himself through us as needed, in whatever circumstances we might find ourselves, be it Healing, a Word of Knowledge, Prophesy, Interpretation, Etc.

With the filling of the Individual believer with the Holy Spirit, comes the Gift of Tongues, this Gift is for the Edification of the individual believer, and for the Edification of the Church he might find himself.

To make things understood, I do not believe in Destiny, Destiny to me means, I do not have a choice in the matter, which means I am a puppet.

Therefore with that in mind, I could be driving down some road and come upon an accident where I am then able to help in some physical way, that is exactly the same for being in the right place at the right time to Minister Spiritually to someone in need, in neither case am I placed into that position, God has given unto all Believers the Holy Spirit, and thereby we are capable of Ministering to whoever, whenever, are we dragged there to do the Ministering, NO.

It all comes down to your viewpoint of God, the Holy Spirit, and the Believer, where and how do we fit into the equation.
I don’t think it was God’s perfect will that Lucifer rebelled or the other angels.

God is in control and His will will come to pass. But I don’t think fallen created beings are part of His perfect will. I think He gives us room to make mistakes.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Many will boast of their gifts of prophecy and such but they will be rejected by the Lord. Satan will use signs and wonders to deceive people as well. Love abides forever though. Im focussed on love not miracles.
Miracles work out of Love, by focusing on Love and not in congunction with Miricals what then do you do with someone needing a Miracal, just tell them "I feel your pain good luck"

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was asking you what you base that theology on. I base all my theology on God’s Word. I had hoped you would also.
I do but you misread my post and assumed I said something I never said.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Miracles work out of Love, by focusing on Love and not in congunction with Miricals what then do you do with someone needing a Miracal, just tell them "I feel your pain good luck"
I pray like everyone else does. What do you tell those who suffer with things and are not healed?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I pray like everyone else does. What do you tell those who suffer with things and are not healed?
God didn’t heal Paul of the thorn in his flesh. Whatever that was. God doesn’t heal a lot of people.

That’s not all being negative. It’s just God’s choice and where He wants us.

I personally have an illness that He chose not to heal at least not yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
JIMINZ said that Miracles work out of Love.
So how does that relate to when God does not heal is my question.

Because God doesn’t always heal. He has mercy on those He has mercy. I’m not bitter just saying.

Paul loved God.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is your purpose of Praying, when you don't believe in Miracles, and the the Gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your purpose of Praying, when you don't believe in Miracles, and the the Gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased.
Because God can heal if He chooses. That being said i would ask where are all the gifts in the church today? We have tongues without interpreters which are useless, we have children's hospitals caring for sick children but no faith healer heals them. You have children born without arms and legs, and born with all sorts of deformities but no healing.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus prayed everyday and He was God.

Why do you think Jesus needed to pray? Is that the only reason He could perform miracles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because God can heal if He chooses. That being said i would ask where are all the gifts in the church today? We have tongues without interpreters which are useless, we have children's hospitals caring for sick children but no faith healer heals them. You have children born without arms and legs, and born with all sorts of deformities but no healing.
If those things bother you soooooo much why don't you find out the answer, seek God until He moves, it seems as though God has laid it on your heart to find the answers to all of those questions, instead of just complaining,
"where are all the gifts in the church today?"
"We have tongues without interpreters, we have children in hospitals but no one heals them, there are children born with all sorts of deformities but no healing."

If all you do is point fingers and complain, then your not seeking an answer.

Seeking an answer means more than just asking the questions.

Upvote 0