Cessationism vs. Continuationism vs. Restorationism - which one is supported by history?

Cessationism vs. Continuationism vs. Restorationism - which one is true?

• Cessationism

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Continuationism

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Restorationism

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Restorationism - Wikipedia:

Restorationism (or Restitutionism or Christian primitivism) is the belief that Christianity has been or should be restored along the lines of what is known about the apostolic early church, which restorationists see as the search for a purer and more ancient form of the religion.[1][2][3] Fundamentally, "this vision seeks to correct faults or deficiencies (in the church) by appealing to the primitive church as a normative model."[1]: 635 
From Cessationism versus continuationism - Wikipedia:

Cessationism versus continuationism involves a Christian theological dispute as to whether spiritual gifts remain available to the church, or whether their operation ceased with the Apostolic Age of the church (or soon thereafter). The cessationist doctrine arose in the Reformed theology, initially in response to claims of Roman Catholic miracles. Modern discussions focus more on the use of spiritual gifts in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, though this emphasis has been taught in traditions that arose earlier, such as Methodism.[1]
Question

Which position is best supported by the historical evidence?
  • Did the charismatic gifts cease towards the end of the 4th century (cessationist view)?
  • Did the charismatic gifts cease towards the end of the 4th century, but have been restored in recent centuries (restorationist view)?
  • Did the charismatic gifts never cease (continuationist view)?
Please, cite historical sources to back up your answers.

Reactions: Saint Steven

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a good starting point, and has written testimony from respected Church leaders into the 5th century about how gifts continued even until then.
What Are the Arguments from Church History That the Sign Gifts Have Not Ceased? by Don Stewart

Here is another interesting read. This one is about John and Charles Wesley and how they experienced the presence and gifts of the Holy Spirit in the 1700's.
John Wesley and the Power of the Spirit

I could also post about the Azusa Street Revival, but some would not consider that worthy testimony. Here is the wikipedia about the event: Azusa Street Revival - Wikipedia

I think it's pretty clear that what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 1:7, "Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed." was meant to be taken literal and that all the gifts of the Spirit (even these controversial ones like tongues) would continue until Jesus returns. Jesus hasn't returned yet, so the gifts continue.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
After Bill Johnson's wife passing away of cancer, is he still preaching fervently that God's will is always to heal you?

Good question. Another, along the same lines is, if Oral Roberts was able to heal people divinely, why did he leave a large chunk of his vast fortune to establish a medical school? Why did he die? Why did he even get old and sick?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Another, along the same lines is, if Oral Roberts was able to heal people divinely, why did he leave a large chunk of his vast fortune to establish a medical school? Why did he die? Why did he even get old and sick?
Because people still get old... Jesus is not a cure to aging. Where's your scriptural and historical proof that the gifts have ceased?
After Bill Johnson's wife passing away of cancer, is he still preaching fervently that God's will is always to heal you?
I don't follow Bill Johnson but why should he stop preaching that? I believe Jesus gives people freedom from sin yet Christians still sin. Where's your scriptural and historical proof that the gifts have ceased?

• Useful
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow Bill Johnson but why should he stop preaching that? I believe Jesus gives people freedom from sin yet Christians still sin. Where's your scriptural and historical proof that the gifts have ceased?

He will then have to admit that his wife "lack faith" to receive the healing, or various other reasons, which won't make much sense to him?

You are aware of his doctrine regarding divine healing?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He will then have to admit that his wife "lack faith" to receive the healing, or various other reasons, which won't make much sense to him?

You are aware of his doctrine regarding divine healing?
That’s not what I asked, nor what the OP asked. You can have your own personal beliefs and opinions on the topic, but what was asked was what do you believe based off of scripture and historical context. See my first reply to get an idea of the kind of response that is looked for. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll take the biblical point of view.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away
Sign gifts not all the gifts passed away with the completion of the New Testament.

Well finally someone actually quotes some scripture for this. I'm curious how you arrive at your conclusion that "the perfect" is referring to scripture. Seriously, not trying to bait or gload. I was taught that when I was younger, but I don't remember ever hearing an explanation why.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Well finally someone actually quotes some scripture for this. I'm curious how you arrive at your conclusion that "the perfect" is referring to scripture. Seriously, not trying to bait or gload. I was taught that when I was younger, but I don't remember ever hearing an explanation why.
For me it was a matter of seeing what the scripture is saying in it's context. Perfect is not directly referring to without flaw as the word may imply in English. It is referring to complete. The partial was the OT and with the completion of the NT we have the complete revelation of God for man.
A lot of things are perfect in scripture including Christ. Christ had already been here and departed when the Holy Spirit penned these words.
With a complete bible we have what God has chosen to minister to the lost and bring them to His Son. Faith comes by hearing the word of God not by signs and wonders.

• Informative
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me it was a matter of seeing what the scripture is saying in it's context. Perfect is not directly referring to without flaw as the word may imply in English. It is referring to complete. The partial was the OT and with the completion of the NT we have the complete revelation of God for man.
A lot of things are perfect in scripture including Christ. Christ had already been here and departed when the Holy Spirit penned these words.
With a complete bible we have what God has chosen to minister to the lost and bring them to His Son. Faith comes by hearing the word of God not by signs and wonders.

I see, interesting. I don't want this thread to dive into debate and such, so I'll just accept your explanation on how you see it. I appreciate your response :)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll take the biblical point of view.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away
Sign gifts not all the gifts passed away with the completion of the New Testament.

If by "the perfect" Paul meant New Testament scripture, his audience--whom he had taught personally in addition to sending them letters-- totally missed it. For another two and a half centuries, the Church missed that "biblical point of view."

If the Corinthians (or any other of the congregations Paul established) had understood that there was a "New Testament" that was supposed to be completed, they would have begun work on it.

Instead, we see by 140 AD (the Marcionite Heresy) the congregations were still using various documents, including the "memoirs of the Apostles."

Even after Marcion brought to light the need to establish a consistent canon, the Church spent another 150 years getting around to it.

• Winner
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From Restorationism - Wikipedia:

Restorationism (or Restitutionism or Christian primitivism) is the belief that Christianity has been or should be restored along the lines of what is known about the apostolic early church, which restorationists see as the search for a purer and more ancient form of the religion.[1][2][3] Fundamentally, "this vision seeks to correct faults or deficiencies (in the church) by appealing to the primitive church as a normative model."[1]: 635 
From Cessationism versus continuationism - Wikipedia:

Cessationism versus continuationism involves a Christian theological dispute as to whether spiritual gifts remain available to the church, or whether their operation ceased with the Apostolic Age of the church (or soon thereafter). The cessationist doctrine arose in the Reformed theology, initially in response to claims of Roman Catholic miracles. Modern discussions focus more on the use of spiritual gifts in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, though this emphasis has been taught in traditions that arose earlier, such as Methodism.[1]
Question

Which position is best supported by the historical evidence?
  • Did the charismatic gifts cease towards the end of the 4th century (cessationist view)?
  • Did the charismatic gifts cease towards the end of the 4th century, but have been restored in recent centuries (restorationist view)?
  • Did the charismatic gifts never cease (continuationist view)?
Please, cite historical sources to back up your answers.

The Catholic Church has an unbroken history of charismatic events continuing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Catholic Church has an unbroken history of charismatic events continuing.

If you mean pieces of wood and stone emitting red liquid or water (i.e. statues that bleed or cry) or water becoming a red substance said to be blood, or a piece of bread which is said to be actual physical human flesh or wine becoming actual physical human blood, then you are spot on. These charismatic events happen continuously and all one needs to do is attend a mass to see one.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you mean pieces of wood and stone emitting red liquid or water (i.e. statues that bleed or cry) or water becoming a red substance said to be blood, or a piece of bread which is said to be actual physical human flesh or wine becoming actual physical human blood, then you are spot on. These charismatic events happen continuously and all one needs to do is attend a mass to see one.

The point is that for 1500 years the entire Church believed miracles continued, and for all of Church history a substantial portion of it continues to believe it. Cessationism has always been a minority viewpoint in the Church.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The point is that for 1500 years the entire Church believed miracles continued, and for all of Church history a substantial portion of it continues to believe it. Cessationism has always been a minority viewpoint in the Church.

Absolutely. My point is that the Catholic Church is not necessarily a good model to examine because it embraces miracles on a continuous basis. At the very moment I am typing this the great miracle of transubstantiation is happening.

Upvote 0