Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The disciples had spiritual life while following Jesus (i.e. Christ gave them life by living in them spiritually). While the Holy Spirit worked with the disciples, they did not have the Holy Spirit living inside them yet until after Jesus had risen and He breathed the Spirit upon them (See John 20).

I was talking about our experience, when we believe the spirit of God, the Holy spirit, and Jesus come to us, but not neccesarily we are filled with the Holy spirit, if all were filled with the Holy spirit the bible wouldn't make distinctions when saying: 'and this person filled with the Holy spirit did this and that'

And they were filled again and again several times, you just don't get all there is of the Holy spirit when converting.

18 Bible verses about Being Filled With The Spirit

Paul says do not drink wine but be filled with the Holy spirit
If you get all there is when converting why this?

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would the Holy Spirit come upon them if they already had the Holy Spirit?

And why would the spirit fill again the apostles and already believers? like in here:
They are different things about the Holy spirit.

"For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about our experience, when we believe the spirit of God, the Holy spirit, and Jesus come to us, but not neccesarily we are filled with the Holy spirit, if all were filled with the Holy spirit the bible wouldn't make distinctions when saying: 'and this person filled with the Holy spirit did this and that'

And they were filled again and again several times, you just don't get all there is of the Holy spirit when converting.

18 Bible verses about Being Filled With The Spirit

Paul says do not drink wine but be filled with the Holy spirit
If you get all there is when converting why this?

Because a person who is drunk is not abiding in the Spirit because drunkenness is a sin. For sin separates a person from GOD (regardless if they are a believer or not). People need to repent (confess) of their sin to the Lord to abide back in GOD. Note: Confessing sin is with the intention that one will forsake that sin and not do it again (or with the expectation that they will do it again).

As for the other references, I believe some verses are talking about the fulness of the Spirit, and others are merely emphasizing that God was with them (i.e. living inside them).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And why would the spirit fill again the apostles and already believers? like in here:
They are different things about the Holy spirit.

"For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

I believe this is being filled with the fulness of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because a person who is drunk is not abiding in the Spirit because drunkenness is a sin. For sin separates a person from GOD (regardless if they are a believer or not). People need to repent (confess) of their sin to the Lord to abide back in GOD. Note: Confessing sin is with the intention that one will forsake that sin and not do it again (or with the expectation that they will do it again).

As for the other references, I believe some verses are talking about the fulness of the Spirit, and others are merely emphasizing that God was with them (i.e. living inside them).

You believe what happened at pentecost was "emphasizing God was with them" or actually something happened to them this ""being filled with the Holy spirit"" that changed the apostles. And they were filled again later.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And what is the fullness? the bible talks about being filled or baptized.

Fulness means exactly that. If I fill a glass with water, it can be either half full or filled to almost the top of the glass. The Word made flesh is said to have the fulness of the Godhead (Trinity) within His body (Colossians 2:9).

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter said to the multitude,
"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose" (Acts of the Apostles 2:15).

Peter referred to others there and not himself.

Peter himself was filled with the Holy spirit , as Jesus promised he told them to wait there until that happened. That time was special since it was the first time, but later other believers and the apostles themselves were filled with the Holy spirit the bible says.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fulness means exactly that. If I fill a glass with water, it can be either half full or filled to almost the top of the glass. The Word made flesh is said to have the fulness of the Godhead (Trinity) within His body (Colossians 2:9).

And Jesus having the fullness of the Godhead, what it has to do with believers being filled with the Holy spirit. It happened at pentecost, it happened to other believers who did not know about it, it happened to the apostles again, it happened to Paul when he was already a believer when some guy put hands on him.

What you make that this person put hands on Paul and he received the Holy spirit? in that instant was he converted? no, he there just received the baptism or filling.
They were not asking for him to believe, but to be filled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JAL

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People need to understand that there is power in the Word of God to change our lives spiritually with the workin of God, and we do not need miraculous workings in order for that to happen.
You're like a broken record. You seem to incessantly repeat assertions already refuted. This is the same argument, 'Today the gifts aren't 'strictly necessary'".

Nothing is necessary, if God is omnipotent. He can build His church without bibles, pastors, Christian movies, and the like. But that's not how He chose to do it. Scripture lays down a model of how He chose to transform lives - in part by miraculous authentication of the gospel. Paul was a lot more effective than the typical evangelist, because he preached "by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God" (Rom 15:9).

To suggest that the Word need not be miraculously authenticated today is to walk in callous indifference to the unsaved state of Muslims, Hindus, Atheists (etc) potentially convinced of the gospel by present-day miracles. Do you, or do you NOT, care about these people?

People need to understand that there is power in the Word of God to change our lives spiritually
Wrong again. While the written Word/Law has a degree of ordinary persuasive power (just like the Koran), it has no transformative power (regenerating power), as I already pointed out. The written Law sanctified NOTHING because the written Word is NOT the divine Word.

I already challenged you with this fact. If the written Word were the power of God, you should be content if the divine Word up and left the universe, abandoning you to the book as your only recourse and resource.

The written Word is a perfectly accurate history book, with accurate theology as well - accurate because God helped the writers. That's all it is - it's JUST A BOOK.

I also pointed out Paul's complaint, which you again ignored, that the written Word stirred up sinful passions (Rom 7) and, as such, was a ministry of death (2Cor 3).

Fact is, most religious people, including most Christians,continue to believe what they want to believe. They care little for what the facts indicate, or what Paul actually said, unless it happens to be something they really want to believe.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

While Apollos was in the city of Corinth, Paul was visiting some places on his way to Ephesus. In Ephesus he found some other followers of the Lord. 2 He asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

These followers said to him, “We have never even heard of a Holy Spirit!”

What is the point in asking a believer if he received the Holy spirit, if every believer receive it when converting, if it is automatic there is no point in asking that specific question, he should have said: did you believed? and thats it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're like a broken record. You seem to incessantly repeat assertions already refuted. This is the same argument, 'Today the gifts aren't 'strictly necessary'".

Nothing is necessary, if God is omnipotent. He can build His church without bibles, pastors, Christian movies, and the like. But that's not how He chose to do it. Scripture lays down a model of how He chose to transform lives - in part by miraculous authentication of the gospel. Paul was a lot more effective than the typical evangelist, because he preached "by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God" (Rom 15:9).

To suggest that the Word need not be miraculously authenticated today is to walk in callous indifference to the unsaved state of Muslims, Hindus, Atheists (etc) potentially convinced of the gospel by present-day miracles. Do you, or do you NOT, care about these people?

Wrong again. While the written Word/Law has a degree of ordinary persuasive power (just like the Koran), it has no transformative power (regenerating power), as I already pointed out. The written Law sanctified NOTHING because the written Word is NOT the divine Word.

I already challenged you with this fact. If the written Word were the power of God, you should be content if the divine Word up and left the universe, abandoning you to the book as your only recourse and resource.

The written Word is a perfectly accurate history book, with accurate theology as well - accurate because God helped the writers. That's all it is - it's JUST A BOOK.

I also pointed out Paul's complaint, which you again ignored, that the written Word stirred up sinful passions (Rom 7) and, as such, was a ministry of death (2Cor 3).

Fact is, most religious people, including most Christians,continue to believe what they want to believe. They care little for what the facts indicate, or what Paul actually said, unless it happens to be something they really want to believe.

You are a bit off there about the scriptures, it says:
12 God’s word is alive and working. It is sharper than the sharpest sword and cuts all the way into us. It cuts deep to the place where the soul and the spirit are joined. God’s word cuts to the center of our joints and our bones. It judges the thoughts and feelings in our hearts.13 Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. He can clearly see all things. Everything is open before him. And to him we must explain the way we have lived.

I remember a time when i was passing a very hard time, and in a impulse i decided to read the bible with all my strenght and with my voice too, believing everything that passed my mind about what i was reading, after a while i actually felt very clean inside, the bible is not just a book, it contains words of God that are actually alive.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peter himself was filled with the Holy spirit , as Jesus promised he told them to wait there until that happened. That time was special since it was the first time, but later other believers and the apostles themselves were filled with the Holy spirit the bible says.

I looked at Acts of the Apostles 2 again. My mistake. Peter would be included among those who spoke in tongues. After reading it again, it seems like it was merely affirming that they already had the filling of the Spirit and not that they were being filled again.

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." (Acts of the Apostles 2:4).

The statement "they were all filled with the Holy Ghost" can be read as a clarification of facts that already exists for them and not as a present tense verb.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My statement about unbelieving Jews was not meant to be an exhaustive statement. Of course it would also include the Gentile unbeliever, but the unbelieving Jew would recognize that it would mean judgment because of his study of the Scriptures.

So how is tongues a sign to Gentile unbelievers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why would the Holy Spirit come upon them if they already had the Holy Spirit?

There are more than just one filling for different purposes as shown in Acts 2, and then an additional filling in Acts 4. They are releases of the same Holy Spirit. Paul tells the Corinthians to seek the better gifts. Those better gifts are from the same Holy Spirit, and you are seeking the release of those gifts from Him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While Apollos was in the city of Corinth, Paul was visiting some places on his way to Ephesus. In Ephesus he found some other followers of the Lord. 2 He asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

These followers said to him, “We have never even heard of a Holy Spirit!”

What is the point in asking a believer if he received the Holy spirit, if every believer receive its when converting, if it is automatic there is no point in asking that specific question, he should have said: did you believed? and thats it.

There are two exceptions or cases where a person did not receive the Holy Spirit that I can think of off the top of my head (Acts of the Apostles 8, and Acts of the Apostles 19).

In Acts 19:

These believers were followers of John the Baptist. For if they had been baptized into Christ, they would have been familiar with the baptismal Trinitarian formula. For Matthew 28:19 says:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).

They were ignorant of this message and they only knew of John the Baptist's message of a coming Messiah.​

As for Acts 8:

This was an unusual exception as to why the Spirit did not fall upon them all. The reason is because Simon the sorcerer's heart was not right with God when he believed the gospel.

For Peter later rebukes Simon for trying to pay for the Spirit and the gifts (power) thereof because of his wrong heart (See Acts of the Apostles 8:21-22).
I hope this helps, and may God bless you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how is tongues a sign to Gentile unbelievers?

It was not a sign to the Gentile unbeliever. But an unbelieving Gentile could come to Christ by the miracle of a foreign language being spoken along with an interpreter. They could recognize that this person was speaking a real language that they heard before (perhaps someone close to them), and the message could relate to their own personal situation in their own life that they needed to hear so as to accept the Lord. This can only be via the interpreter. For if they just heard tongues speaking only, they would think that they were mad (Just as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are more than just one filling for different purposes as shown in Acts 2, and then an additional filling in Acts 4. They are releases of the same Holy Spirit. Paul tells the Corinthians to seek the better gifts. Those better gifts are from the same Holy Spirit, and you are seeking the release of those gifts from Him.

I believe that there is a fullness type filling, but there is no refillings. Believers do not lose the Spirit of God, and then regain the Spirit of God unless they sin and confess of that sin.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are a bit off there about the scriptures, it says:
12 God’s word is alive and working. It is sharper than the sharpest sword and cuts all the way into us. It cuts deep to the place where the soul and the spirit are joined. God’s word cuts to the center of our joints and our bones. It judges the thoughts and feelings in our hearts.13 Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. He can clearly see all things. Everything is open before him. And to him we must explain the way we have lived.

I remember a time when i was passing a very hard time, and in a impulse i decided to read the bible with all my strenght and with my voice too, believing everything that passed my mind about what i was reading, after a while i actually felt very clean inside, the bible is not just a book, it contains words of God that are actually alive.

Well said. While we may not agree on everything, I agree with you on this.

May God bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.