Status
Not open for further replies.

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
TC you say I have given you 50% of what you need to get started. Im not sure what you mean by that but if you are asking me if I want you to contiune in asking God to show me Miracle by my wife being healed from her TMJ and neck problem go right a head. I know with out a doubt that if you have the same ability as those in the 1st century I know it will be done. I do not doubt those Miracles that occured in the 1st century.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cougan ... After discussions yesterday with a man who I have come to rely on for a certain wisdom in his comments, I am willing to proceed though I cannot claim to be happy or eager about doing so. However, the man's advice was to adhere as closely to the examples you cited as is possible (I was considering changing it to take advantage of the possibilities available through the net.)

So - do you consider it reasonable for me to ask for some token of your earnest regarding this matter.

There will be some lead time required also, (which I will be using to clean up certain areas in my life that I have been dragging my feet on a bit.), to make suitable arrangements for delivery of the item.

Do you perchance live within easy travelling distance of Los Angeles/Disneyland?

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Note: Please use your Private Message or e-mail option for personal dealings which do not include the interest of the rest of the membership. Do keep the conversation on topic and handle anything personal through other means.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by cougan
Snup are you saying that a person that has been baptized cannot sin because they have this supernatureal help?

Rom 6:2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any
longer in it?

Col 2:20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic
principles of the world
, why, as though living in the world,
do you subject yourselves to regulations --

col 3: 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the
earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will
appear with Him in glory.

2Tim 2:11 This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We
shall also live with Him.

As you can see from these verses it is important that we die with Jesus and the bible plainly tells us that it is at the point of baptism through our faith in the working of God that we are dieing with Christ being united together with him and having our sins removed and being raised up a new creature being added to the body of Christ by God.&nbsp;

... &nbsp;Again it very clear that the gentiles could also be baptized into christ for remisson of sin.

Accually I'm saying that a person who is baptized doesn't have to sin because sin has no more power over him since he is dead to sin.&nbsp; That he has the power to overcome anything that exalts itself against the knowledge of Christ within that persons life.&nbsp; Being dead to sin means being dead to the pull, wait, and consiquences of sin, even sickness.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
One last point I would like to make about 1 cor 13 is found in the last verse.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

This verse here tells us that faith, hope and love will continue on after this perfect has come. This again seems to strongly show that this is not talking about heaven, because there will not be faith nor hope in heaven there will just be love. Heb 11:1 Rom 8:24

Snup I think that once you become a christian you struggle with sin becomes greater. Yes you can rest in comfort that as long as you walk in the light your sins continual be cleased. 1john 1:7. If we stop adding to our faith as 2Peter 1:5-10 says then we can drift away from the lord as warned by Heb 2:1-3 and we can fall from grace as stated in Gal 5:4 Heb 12:13 1cor 10:12-13.

MizDoulos although it may seem that this topic of baptism is if off the topic it is not. If you go back and actually read the prior post you will see that I introduced this topic to see how those who are being lead by the HS Directly would answer. This was done to see if someone gave a different anwswer so I could try to determine who is actual being led miracelously.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Snup I think that once you become a christian you struggle with sin becomes greater. Yes you can rest in (the) comfort that as long as you walk in the light your sins continual be cleased. 1john 1:7. If we stop adding to our faith as 2Peter 1:5-10 says then we can drift away from the lord as warned by Heb 2:1-3 and we can fall from grace as stated in Gal 5:4 Heb 12:13 1cor 10:12-13.

So we are agreed then, there is a working of salvation in the soul (restoring&nbsp;to the original&nbsp;state, saving from the workings of sin)&nbsp;after the whole man has recieved the gift of salvation.&nbsp; Good scripture by the way (1John 1:7).&nbsp; But see you have stated what I have already tried to say.&nbsp;

Baptism is the begining of the removal of sin from a mans life, by removing him from under the law, making him dead to sin and the sin nature and the power of sin over his life, and giving him the resurrected life of Christ and the power that gives resurrection.&nbsp;(John 11:25)&nbsp;He now does not have to sin, except by habit or unhealed emotional wound.&nbsp; He has the same power to resist temptation that Christ had, since he has the life of Christ and is seated in heavenly places, as opposed to deathly places.&nbsp;

It is by this life that the scripture can say both that our sicknesses were and are healed.&nbsp; Healing is not abnormal or miraculous for Jesus, it is just part of His makeup.&nbsp; It is His life, life force, Spirit that repels sickness, the same way that our immune system repels disease.&nbsp; It is the same function.&nbsp; How can sickness (death) stand in the same place as the LIFE of Christ.&nbsp; The two are diametrically opposed.&nbsp; If we pertake of the LIFE of Christ at baptism,then that LIFE opposes sickness in our life.&nbsp; That sickness has to leave, unless we give it legal ground to remain.&nbsp; The LIFE that is now in us can be extended to other just as Jesus and Peter extended it, if it is active within you.&nbsp; If it is locked away within your spirit then it will have no effect on the world around you.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

Jan 1, 2002
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

MizDoulos although it may seem that this topic of baptism is if off the topic it is not. If you go back and actually read the prior post you will see that I introduced this topic to see how those who are being lead by the HS Directly would answer. This was done to see if someone gave a different anwswer so I could try to determine who is actual being led miracelously.

Cougan, I never said baptism was off topic. Besides, my note referred to Thunderchild's statement which implies there is a personal request for delivery of an item:

So - do you consider it reasonable for me to ask for some token of your earnest regarding this matter.

There will be some lead time required also, (which I will be using to clean up certain areas in my life that I have been dragging my feet on a bit.), to make suitable arrangements for delivery of the item.

Do you perchance live within easy travelling distance of Los Angeles/Disneyland?

If you re-read my previous post, I hope it will make more sense to you. :) If you have any other statements of opposition, please use your Private Message option to contact me. Do not air them in public. Thanks.

Update: I have been told that this item of delivery pertains to a possible testimony that the gift of healing is still active today. As long as it is not a business transaction, the request is fine on the post.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A business transaction? Ack! Simony is not an option.

&nbsp;

Miz Doulous - Most of the discussion on the matter has been conducted via private messaging. However, others involved in the discussion need to be kept up to date on proceedings, for which cause there will be posts regarding state of play from time to time.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

Jan 1, 2002
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Thunderchild
A business transaction? Ack! Simony is not an option.

&nbsp;

Miz Doulous - Most of the discussion on the matter has been conducted via private messaging. However, others involved in the discussion need to be kept up to date on proceedings, for which cause there will be posts regarding state of play from time to time.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Good deal, then! Carry on :) . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

e4God

Visiting WebHead
Mar 11, 2002
Citizen of The Heavens
Visit site
✟8,085.00
Faith
Christian
Consider:

The thief on the cross was saved, but was not baptized.

The entire Protestant reformation sprant from these words:

By Faith Are Ye Saved, not works.

Catholics had added many works to the obligations of believers. And many false promises were added to the method for entering heaven.

Martin Luther was led by the Spirit to renounce all systems of works.

It is clear that we SHOULD be baptized. But if a work is required then we make a liar of the concept that salvation is freely offered.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Oh E4god I see you want to use the very weak thief on the cross arguement.
THE THIEF ON THE CROSS
Let’s examine the thief on the cross. He was forgiven his sins and Jesus tells him he will be in paradise with him. "He wasn’t baptized therefore baptism isn’t necessary." I have heard this statement before. First of all, the bible doesn’t state weather this thief had been baptized or not before he was crucified. It is possible either way. Second, Christ had not died yet. His covenant did not come into effect until he died. While he was still alive no one could be baptized into his death. When Jesus did die, the curtain that separated man from God was torn from top to bottom. Third, Jesus had the authority to forgive sins on earth. Mark 2:10“But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins” Therefore, whether this thief was baptized or not, Jesus had the authority to forgive him of his sins and tell him that he would be in paradise with him. In fact e4God let me share this article with you on this same topic.

Why do you insist that baptism is essential for salvation? While hanging on the cross, Jesus pardoned the thief who was crucified with him. And that forgiveness was granted without baptism (Lk. 23:43). Surely this is a clear example of salvation by faith, not by baptism.

To argue that the example of the thief on the cross is a pattern of salvation today involves: first, an unwarranted assumption; and second, it is grounded in a faulty view of biblical chronology.

Here are the basic facts of the case.

When the Lord was crucified, he was positioned between two robbers, both of whom, at some point during the six hours of agony, reproached him (Mt. 27:44; Mk. 15:32). The Greek grammar suggests a repeated verbal assault. However, as the ordeal proceeded, a change occurred in one of the thieves. This aspect of the case is recorded by Luke alone (23:39-43).

“And there was also a superscription over him, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. And one of the malefactors that were hanged railed on him, saying, Art not thou the Christ? Save thyself and us. But the other answered, and rebuking him said, Dost thou not even fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said, Jesus, remember me when thou comest in thy kingdom. And he said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise.”
Several important facts come to light by a careful analysis of this paragraph.

By comparing Luke’s record with that of Matthew and Mark, it is obvious that there was a change in the man’s view regarding Jesus. Instead of reviling the Lord, he glorified him and petitioned the Savior; and Jesus graciously responded to him.

The penitent thief had a good deal of information concerning Christ; exactly when he learned these facts is not specified. But there are two possibilities. Either he learned about Christ, and became convinced of his royalty, during that six-hour episode, or, else he knew about the Savior from earlier circumstances.
It is not impossible that he had been exposed significantly to information about Jesus earlier in his life, had been impressed by it, and, later, had regressed into a life of crime. Note some things about the man’s beliefs.

(a) He acknowledged the existence of God.

(b) He believed in a standard of right and wrong, he confessed that he and his companion had transgressed divine law, and he conceded they were being punished “justly.”

(c) He asserted the innocence of Christ. The Teacher had done “nothing amiss.” And remember, the Lord was being crucified for his affirmation of being the “Son of the Blessed One” (Mk. 14:62). The robber’s statement, therefore, is basically an acknowledgement of the truth of Jesus’ claim.

(d) The penitent thief believed that Christ was a “king,” and that this act of murder would not terminate the Savior’s life; rather, the Lord would “come in [his] kingdom.”

(e) He was confident that Jesus would be able to bless him in that regime. At the very least, these expressions indicate that the thief believed it was possible to have association with the Lord after both of them were dead.

While it is not impossible, it does seem improbable, that this man could have accumulated this much theological information, with such clear implications, and under such excruciating conditions, in such a short period of time. It is entirely feasible, then, that this criminal had absorbed some earlier teaching concerning the Master.

Consider this scenario. Is it not possible that this man could have been a disciple of John the Baptist, or of the Lord himself, or of one of Christ disciples as they went forth teaching (Mt. 10:5ff; Lk. 10:1ff) – during the preceding years? If such were the case, the man might well have been immersed for the forgiveness of his sins on some past occasion (Mk. 1:4; Jn. 4:1-2).
I am not suggesting that this proposition can be proved; I am simply saying that no one can make the dogmatic statement: “The thief had never been baptized.” That is an unknown factor. He might well have been an “erring child of God” at this point.

Having said that, let us now focus our attention in another direction. The careful Bible student must acknowledge that there are different periods of sacred history, in the course of which, certain religious requirements may vary. Abraham was never commanded to be baptized or to observe the Lord’s supper. In today’s era of religious history, we are not obligated to observe the Passover, or to offer animal sacrifices. Jehovah has had different requirements in different periods of history.

In view of this principle, consider the following facts.

During his personal ministry, Jesus possessed the authority to forgive men’s sins personally and directly, upon whatever terms he chose. For example, once while in the city of Capernaum, the Lord encountered a man who was paralyzed. The unfortunate gentleman had been conveyed to where Christ was by four of his friends. When Jesus saw “their faith,” he said to the palsied man, “Son, your sins are forgiven” (Mk. 2:5). Then, in order to establish his “authority” in the matter of personally forgiving sins “on earth” (2:10), Christ healed the man of his malady. It is interesting to note that there is no mention made of the fact that the man was required to repent of his sins.
If recorded examples of events occurring during the Lord’s personal ministry function as precedent for the Christian age, shall it be concluded that no repentance is obligatory today?

The fact is, while Jesus was on earth he had the authority to dispense blessings directly based upon the circumstances at hand. At the time of his death, however, his authority was made resident in his testamentary “will” (Heb. 9:15-17). And the terms of that will specify baptism as a condition of pardon (Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21, etc.).
No one has the legal right to eliminate that condition by appealing to something the Lord did while he was implementing his earthly ministry. The heavenly regime takes precedence over the former.

It becomes very apparent, therefore, that those who appeal to the case of the “thief on the cross,” as a specific example for conversion today, are mistaken in several particulars.

The do not comprehend the difference between the Savior’s earthly operations and his current reign from heaven; and,

They have thrust aside the plain demands of the New Covenant economy.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
It is clear that we SHOULD be baptized. But if a work is required then we make a liar of the concept that salvation is freely offered.

umm... so you think we should be baptized? But you dont think it is apart of salvation so why should one be baptized if it doesnt effect their salvation? I think the problem lies in understanding the different kinds of works. The works of the law can not save you but the works of obeidence can. You say its the gift of salvation is freely offerred. You seem to what to hold on to the fact that it is a free gift without any action on our part. If that is so then you would have to say that everyperson is saved because it was given to us freely. But you do not belive this. Correct me if I am wrong but belive that a man must believe , repent and confess Jesus as lord so that he can be saved. When someone does these things are the not works of obeidence? What make baptism different? In col 2:12 it clearly says that our baptism is a work of God not a work of man. If you would like I can post several articles that talk about the different kinds or works.

Upvote 0

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
I have to agree that baptism for salvation would be a work. Baptism is being baptized into the body of Christ, the church. You are symbolicly dead, buried, and resurrected in Christ. But this baptism is a testimony of what has ALREADY happened on the inside of you, regeneration. To say that you must be baptized to enter the gates of heaven is an unsound argument to me.
Do you say that we must also participate in the Lord's supper regularly to be saved? I believe baptism and the Lord's supper are vital to Christian growth and sanctification, but not to salvation. God alone provides salvation, not by any outward work we do, but by the INWARD work of Christ (Eph. 2:1-9).
God's elect will be saved, bottom line. The Bible is clear on this subject. Who are we to put standards on God's regenerative work? God works in us, we believe and confess Christ as Lord and Saviour. Then baptism and church membership follows. A church roll book is not the Lamb's book of life. And baptism cannot gain you entrance to heaven. It is a seal of your calling and election, not the source. God alone is the source. God bless.

Soli Deo gloria!

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
excerpted from post #232
Consider this scenario. Is it not possible that this man could have been a disciple of John the Baptist, or of the Lord himself, or of one of Christ disciples as they went forth teaching (Mt. 10:5ff; Lk. 10:1ff) – during the preceding years? If such were the case, the man might well have been immersed for the forgiveness of his sins on some past occasion (Mk. 1:4; Jn. 4:1-2).
I am not suggesting that this proposition can be proved; I am simply saying that no one can make the dogmatic statement: “The thief had never been baptized.” That is an unknown factor. He might well have been an “erring child of God” at this point.

I excerpted just this small section as an illustration. I did however read your whole post.

I think, that using your reasoning, anyone who has ever gotten in a bathtub, or possibly spilt a glass of water on them has been baptized. Why? because we cannot categorically deny that they haven't been. Maybe an angel said "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" when the water hit their head. The Bible never said that a MAN had to say anything.

Do you set yourself above the Apostle Paul? It is best to use clear, concise, unambiguous verses in these matters when they are available. in this case they are available in plenty and most have already been pointed out in this thread. You use these crystal clear passages to help interpret those tougher portions of scripture. You cannot hide from or duck the fact that it is very clearly stated numerous times in the Scriptures that our salvation is by belief/faith. It is these very clear enumerations which should guide our delvings into the more complicated texts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
I have noticed 1 Peter 3:21 being quoted or alluded to quite often concerning this discussion. I would like to briefly address this verse and its context.

1 Peter 3 (CSB)
20 who in the past were disobedient, when God patiently waited in the days of Noah while an ark was being prepared; in it, a few--that is, eight people--were saved through water.

21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Area in question - the antitype, or as the CSB translates it "baptism, which corresponds to this".

First, lets go back to the flood -----

Gen 6:17
"Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish.

What does the flood do? It destroys all flesh. We know from the context of the story that it destroys all the wicked. There were only eight righteous. They were, of course, saved by obeying God's plan and instructions. I am going to come back to this in a minute.

Gen 7:7
Then Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons' wives with him entered the ark because of the water of the flood.

They entered the ark. Why? Because of the danger. We can talk about our love for God and it is all true, but if we look at ourselves honestly we know we sure don't want to end up in hell. So we obey God's instruction and climb in our ark - Jesus Christ.

Gen 7:17
Then the flood came upon the earth for forty days, and the water increased and lifted up the ark, so that it rose above the earth.

We climb in the ark - our salvation - Jesus Christ. How do we rise above this earth and its petty toils and problems? Through the Holy Spirit, our Comforter. We are lifted up. Praise God.

Gen 6:17
"Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish.

I want to take another look at Gen 6:17 now. We have established that the flood destroyed all the wicked men on earth. The question I would like for someone to answer for me is what is the antitype to this? It cannot be baptism by water, for it will not judge and destroy the earth. What, or rather, who will judge the earth and destroy all the wicked in the end? Is it not Jesus? So, what corresponds, or is the antitype, to the flood? It is Jesus. For by Him are we saved and by Him will judgement and destruction come!! Now we come back to 1 Peter.

1 Peter 3 (CSB)
21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So, what saves us? Jesus. Then what is this baptism spoken of here in 1 Peter? Let's look at a few other verses.

Matt 10 (CSB)
38 But Jesus said to them, "You don't know what you're asking. Are you able to drink the cup I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?"
39 "We are able," they told Him. But Jesus said to them, "You will drink the cup I drink, and you will be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with.

What can we glean from this passage? This is after Jesus water baptism. So what baptism does he have that the disciples don't? I think it logical to assume that they had all been baptized with John's baptism. So, what is left? What did Jesus have that they didn't? it could be two things. Either He is referring to His coming suffering, or the Holy Spirit. The "cup" definitely refers to His suffering. The baptism could be further itteration of that or He could mean their coming baptism in the Spirit on the day of Pentecost. Whichever it may be, it isn't water.

Luke 12 (CSB)
49 "I came to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already set ablaze!
50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how it consumes Me until it is finished!

Here we have a glimpse of the future judgement, antitypical to the flood. This verse is also set after Jesus' water baptism. Does he have to be baptized again? Why is it so awful? Did John try to drown him the first time or something? This baptism then must be a baptism by fire (metaphorically speaking), something painful and agregious. Is this the baptism Peter is referring to in his letter?

Let us view the big picture of the New Testament. What "baptism" gets the most recognition and teaching in the NT, after the death of Christ? That would be the baptism of the Holy Spirit. What "baptism" corresponds with the flood? The baptism in the Holy Spirit, the baptism of Jesus. Why? Because it is through Jesus that we are saved from the coming destruction which will be implemented by this same Jesus. Just as Noah and his family were lifted up on the flood and saved while the same power brought destruction to those that did not believe!!

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hmmmm. Well, some part of the concept is clearly in error. Care to make a guess which part? It has something to do with sins of the past

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.