Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I want to enrich my prayer life and keeping adding to it, but not sure on the best way to proceed.

I have heard of Lectio Divina before. Yesterday I was reading further on Centering Prayer, Contemplative Prayer, etc. I've heard some Reformed in Podcasts not crazy about these ideas, but others find it enriching. The text makes sense, but I couldn't get into the videos. Was curious on others thoughts.

Do any of you do this or something similar?
Would you try it? Do you find it harmful, or uplifting?

A website speaking about the different versions.

Reactions: sunshine100

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yikes! Be very careful with what you're getting into there. I checked out that link you provided, but honestly it sounds quite new age-y. She says in her video that "to question is to deny transfiguration" (I'm paraphrasing). That is dangerous! God wants us to question things so we can learn if our heart is in the right place. I'd say stick to God's Word because you cannot go wrong with the Holy Spirit. :D

Take care because there is new age coming into the church and already is. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are different kinds of prayer, yes. I especially like a quote I read once that "true prayer is to be silent in the Presence of God".

BUT. Even in proper Christian context, it's not something people should do without competent guidance. When you deepen your spiritual life - things tend to happen. And the enemy directs very skilled deception and delusions at people who are making such progress.

I'm not saying "don't do it". But I am saying we shouldn't rely on a book or a website or an unskilled person or ourselves alone to simply try things out. God often protects people in such potentially dangerous situations - but not always.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I want to enrich my prayer life and keeping adding to it, but not sure on the best way to proceed.

I have heard of Lectio Divina before. Yesterday I was reading further on Centering Prayer, Contemplative Prayer, etc. I've heard some Reformed in Podcasts not crazy about these ideas, but others find it enriching. The text makes sense, but I couldn't get into the videos. Was curious on others thoughts.

Do any of you do this or something similar?
Would you try it? Do you find it harmful, or uplifting?

A website speaking about the different versions.

I don't know that I can support the ideas of that website or not. But anyways.

Contemplative prayer has been part of Christianity since the beginning, and reaches into Judaism of the past. The hesychasts of Christianity are known as "quietests" who remain "still" in contemplative prayer, see Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God,”. The goal of their form of contemplative prayer is to commune with God. But it sometimes leads them to have visions, see Acts 2:17, "...your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams". The one drawback to it is it can lead a person to insanity, so it is best not practiced without a Spiritual Father.

Now there is nothing wrong with a layman practicing prayer, but as someone said above, the enemy is always there. If you should begin to experience anything unusual you should speak with a priest.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yikes! Be very careful with what you're getting into there. I checked out that link you provided, but honestly it sounds quite new age-y. She says in her video that "to question is to deny transfiguration" (I'm paraphrasing). That is dangerous! God wants us to question things so we can learn if our heart is in the right place. I'd say stick to God's Word because you cannot go wrong with the Holy Spirit. :D

Thank you for the thoughts. I didn't like the second video either, so did not finish it. It seemed a bit too out there and off to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I'm a bit more cautious than most in certain areas due some of my history. I appreciate the advice.

As a former practitioner of buddhism I am skittish about things like this and tend to stay away.

• Agree
Reactions: Deborah D
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have decided to steer clear based on the support here and some more self-reflection. I think I was considering this more widespread, normal and practiced than it apparently is. I was under the impression this was just something I wasn't doing, but that many were doing in their prayer life, and that growing in prayer life in these ways would only be healthier and keep bringing me closer to God. I'm now seeing that even after this many years of being a Christian and considering one of my few strengths to be my enjoyment and focus on prayer, that I can still get misconceptions and misled about prayer life.

I appreciate you all more than know.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,307.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's relatively widespread and normal within particular traditions. I certainly wouldn't view it as New Age or anything like that, and it's something I have done, and have taught, and which would be quite acceptable in my own context.

But that doesn't mean it's for everybody, or that there aren't times when it would be helpful and times when it wouldn't. You're best placed to discern that for yourself.

The encouraging thing, I think, if you're looking to try different ways of prayer is that if this doesn't feel right, right now, there are other things to explore. It's not this or nothing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
C.S. Lewis addressed the dangers of emptying the mind in The Screwtape Letters. Speaking from personal experience, I would not encourage the practice if you were not knowledgeable of Buddhist and Hindu teachings to discern if the practices you're undertaking find their root in their beliefs. Some do.

As someone mentioned, the challenge with Lectio Divina is the necessity of discerning what you hear. I kept notebooks and wrote everything I heard. There are moments when it wasn't the Holy Spirit talking. Discernment takes time and practice.

Mystical experiences don't go unnoticed in the spirit realm.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Silence is what Eastern Mystics do.
Biblical prayer involves words where we confess our sins, cast all our cares on Him, intercede for others, giving thanks...in short speaking our heart.

Example 1Kings 8:22-61 is all one prayer with no silence.

Reactions: Bramblewild
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,307.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is an ancient custom of Christian silence in prayer. Think of the monastics who observe long periods of silence each day. Or many Christians who will go on silent retreats where there is no speaking for days.

Seriously, just because something isn't your way of prayer, there's no need to denigrate the very fruitful prayer practices others have.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have personally experienced the monastic practices of silence at a Trappistine monastery. I don't believe anyone can say with certainty that all forms of Christian silent prayer are devoid of outside influences.

Thomas Merton looked to Eastern teachings and some resources reference New Age practices. I'm not speaking suggestively but as a former practitioner of Kundalini Yoga, Tantra Buddhism, and multiple paths associated with New Age beliefs.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,307.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe anyone can say with certainty that all forms of Christian silent prayer are devoid of outside influences.

Nothing is. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't, with appropriate care and discernment, do what is helpful for each.

It's the blanket rubbishing of entire disciplines I'm objecting to.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nothing is. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't, with appropriate care and discernment, do what is helpful for each. It's the blanket rubbishing of entire disciplines I'm objecting to.

I understand your perspective. I don't believe blanket statements are helpful. That's why I referenced Lewis in my original comment because he addresses this subject and explains the differences.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to discern this without traveling other paths. The believer attends a class or receives a resource from a reputable source he trusts. But one cannot predict the measure of vetting they undertook beforehand. It's murky water.

There is also the issue of previous behavior. We aren't privy to anyone's history. You know Paul's remarks about what's lawful and expedient. There are some avenues that will be less harmful to one and detrimental to another.

So I'll amend my comment to add...

If you're interested in this read The Screwtape Letters first and pay attention to the bibliography of any resource you use.

However, if you have previous experience with the occult I'd advise against it. That's a longer discussion on legal rights but suffice to say, you may regret it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are indeed legitimate Christian practices of silence (hesychasm), contemplative prayer, and the like. There is a very long and intensely rich practice of these within Orthodoxy, and literally many, many volumes covering tens of thousands of pages within the most respected works on the subject. Still ... it is NEVER simply taught and a person sent on their way to practice it. Monks who spend 20 hours a day in prayer and have done so for years are not immune to demonic attempts to deceive them - in fact they are probably the most frequent targets precisely because of their continual involvement in deeper forms of prayer. It is the continual oversight of wiser elders who recognize the symptoms that accompany deception that prevents (hopefully) any attempts by the enemy of actually succeeding (though in some cases it does succeed - usually because of secretiveness of the monk in keeping some things private and allowing pride to grow as a result).

It is a VERY legitimate Christian practice. But not one without danger. To the contrary, if it bears fruit it is one of the more dangerous practices. Anyone who begins to progress is always a more intense target. And nothing is completely free from any possibility of demons attempting to tempt or deceive people - that is pretty much what our lives in this fallen world consist of, to whatever degree and in whatever ways we personally are targeted by them.

Upvote 0