• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Centering prayer

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Tallguy88, May 14, 2013.

1. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,665
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Anyone here have experience with centering prayer? I've read that it's based loosely on the meditative practices of the desert fathers and is somewhat similar to hesychasm.

I haven't tried it myself, but am interested and curious if y'all have any insight.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,986
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I've not heard of this. You care to offer a brief explanation of what it's about?

3. 27B6

27B6 Veteran

+93
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. Tallguy88

+7,665
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Centering prayer:
    Source: http://www.centeringprayer.com/centering_prayer.html

As to it's history:
    And how to actually practice centering prayer:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centering_prayer

5. 27B6

27B6 Veteran

+93
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  6. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Interesting...

7. jckstraw72

jckstraw72 Doin' that whole Orthodox thing

+1,055
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    This type of prayer is an attempt to get to a state of being – but the Jesus Prayer is about dialoguing with a Person. “Jesus” = “YHWH saves” – we don’t pick any random word, we use His name because it means we are asking for salvation. Centering prayer is about relaxation, just like Hindu or Buddhist meditation, but the Jesus Prayer is the most active activity there is. Elder Sophrony says 7 hours of physical labor is equal to 3 hours of mental activity which is equal to one hour of prayer, in terms of effort exerted. We do not relax in prayer because our bodies are an integral part of our personhood which need salvation. Also, the Jesus Prayer is not about getting rid of thoughts, but about having only one thought - Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

8. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,986
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This.

And I personally would prefer to continue in the Jesus prayer because I know it leads to Truth. I don't know what this "centering" prayer leads to.

9. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,580
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would also be wary about focusing on a single attribute of God, rather than on Himself as He is. the idea of hesychasm, as jck pointed out, is dialogue with the Creator, not repetition of something I like about Him.

it also seems, that the self is central to this kinda mediation. it's YOUR word that YOU choose, and it does not seem, at least from what is posted, that there is any spiritual father direction with it.

10. Tallguy88

+7,665
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I can't comment from experience, but from what I've read, the word isn't repeated like a mantra. It's just a starting point and an anchor to return to if your mind starts to wander.

As to the actual point of the practice, it seems to be to empty your mind of all thoughts so it can commune with God on a subconscious level.

11. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,633
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
  12. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    Thank you for this explanation. It made things clearer to me! However, does this mean that centering prayer, or that general form of meditative type of prayer into a state of being, have a part in the life of an Orthodox Christian? And if so, is there a distinction between it being meditation, or specifically prayer?

Really? Explain? Somehow I've not known this, but it's neat!

13. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,580
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    there is nothing wrong with internal stillness, and the state of mind that comes from it. I think the difference is that in hesychasm, the Jesus prayer is what has been handed down, and it is never done without spiritual direction, so as to avoid demonic delusion which can happen. we don't just pick a word that makes us feel good or we think points us to God, we were given what points us to God, if that makes sense.

Jesus is the Greek version of the name Joshua, which translates into YHWH saves, savior, the Lord saves, and prolly some others I don't remember. it's one of the reasons Christ was given that name, because it's Who He is.