Census 2021 reveals less than half of those in England and Wales identify as Christian, down from almost 60% ten years ago.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe we ought to institute a religious education requirement for publicly funded schools like they have in England.

I suspect the best way to turn people off religion is to teach them about it.

Note that I'm talking about teaching religion in the general sense - not proselytising any particular religion.

OB

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, what you're saying is that since he is the big Christian honcho in Britain, then the decline in British Christianity must be his fault without having any idea what he has done or failed to do? Got it.

No, some of them are clearly in it for the money.

What has he done? Has he advocated an actual vision for guiding his Church during this time? Has he implemnted any programs that show a potential long term return on success in revitalizing English Christianity? I mean if I'm wrong, demonstrate I'm wrong and I'll recant but until then I'm rather confident in judging him according to Conquest's third law.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What has he done? Has he advocated an actual vision for guiding his Church during this time? Has he implemnted any programs that show a potential long term return on success in revitalizing English Christianity? I mean if I'm wrong, demonstrate I'm wrong and I'll recant but until then I'm rather confident in judging him according to Conquest's third law.

I. DON'T. KNOW. And you've given no evidence that you do either.

You just want to blame someone for the decline of Christianity (and religion) in advanced democracies. I suspect that the leadership of the CofE isn't the "problem".

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I suspect the best way to turn people off religion is to teach them about it.

Note that I'm talking about teaching religion in the general sense - not proselytising any particular religion.

OB

It worked for me.

Learning about early Christianity, the making of the bible, and the historical context of the biblical stories was enough for me to find the religious claims unbelievable.

I can endorse this plan.

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I. DON'T. KNOW. And you've given no evidence that you do either.

You just want to blame someone for the decline of Christianity (and religion) in advanced democracies. I suspect that the leadership of the CofE isn't the "problem".

I don't blame Welby alone, but he has done nothing to actually combat the decline. He hasn't laid out a plan or a proposal or interacted with people who are actually thinking about this issue to my knowledge. It's not just about blaming one person, but leadership matters and if your leadership shows little to no result then the leadership has failed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't blame Welby alone, but he has done nothing to actually combat the decline. He hasn't laid out a plan or a proposal or interacted with people who are actually thinking about this issue to my knowledge. It's just about blaming one person, but leadership matters and if your leadership shows little to no result then you have failed.
In John Chapter 6 most people rejected Jesus because of his teaching. Being faithful to the truth is more important. Numerical growth is not an automatic sign of God's favour, nor is the truth changed by who believes it or not. Even if every person in the world believes something that is not true, that thing is still not true. Having said that I think the Anglican church is being both fast and loose with the truth and experiencing numerical decline. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope their census workers were more competent than the American census was in 2020. I have a feeling they were a bit more accurate than ours was.
Ours was mainly on-line. I have not heard of any suggestions that it was not competently done here.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For the first time fewer than half of people in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian, the Census 2021 has revealed.
The proportion of people who said they were Christian was 46.2%, down from 59.3% in the last census in 2011.
In contrast the number who said they had no religion increased to 37.2% of the population, up from a quarter.
Those identifying as Muslim rose from 4.9% in 2011 to 6.5% last year.
This secularisation has been going on for quite a while. I was a bit surprised that the figure for Christian is so high. For many years if people did not declare a religion they were simply put down on forms as C of E - Church of England. I think people would tend to put that onto censs forms as a sort of default.

Religion, particularly among Christian cults, has been declining among indigenous British for generations. It has nothing to do with the current Archbishop of Canterbury. The decline was happening long before he took office and has been widely reported over the years.

• Agree
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't blame Welby alone, but he has done nothing to actually combat the decline. He hasn't laid out a plan or a proposal or interacted with people who are actually thinking about this issue to my knowledge. It's not just about blaming one person, but leadership matters and if your leadership shows little to no result then the leadership has failed.
I'm not the most knowledgeable but have followed a little and from what I do know, I think Welby has done a decent job with a global denomination that is very divided right now. He is balancing the concerns of the bishops in Africa and elsewhere with the concerns of those in Western countries where there is a push towards gay marriage and so forth. He seems to be truly trying to listen to everyone and prayerfully examine what they're saying. Sure, that's made a lot of people on both sides unhappy.

• Agree
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ours was mainly on-line. I have not heard of any suggestions that it was not competently done here.

I am curious if you have noticed this decline in people who identify as Christians in your daily life. I would assume society has begun to reflect this decline in numbers of Christians. Then again, I know atheists who seem nicer to their neighbors than some Christians.

I am very faithful in God but doubtful about organized religion in America. I need to keep searching for a comfortable place in which to worship God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am curious if you have noticed this decline in people who identify as Christians in your daily life. I would assume society has begun to reflect this decline in numbers of Christians. Then again, I know atheists who seem nicer to their neighbors than some Christians.

I am very faithful in God but doubtful about organized religion in America. I need to keep searching for a comfortable place in which to worship God.
I'm sure it depends on where you live, but almost nobody I know outside of church is a practicing Christian.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Any particular religion you were thinking of..?
No, your Australian curriculum is much like the English and it seems to do well in educating students about many varieties of religion. As an American, I learned about the Reformation for about a day in High School, Judaism from a girlfriend in College, and Islam the day or so my children spent on it in their High School, most recently Buddhism from my brother and his Vietnamese wife.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Most certainly. There are a few church-goers among my friends but we don't speak of it much. I am not sure how to gauge any changes in society attributable to a decline in church membership or observance. I certainly cannot distinguish my church-going friends from the rest by their conduct.
All my friends are nice!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds good. Ours is generally run like any government undertaking. I think it was in the 2010 Census that the US Census Bureau invested heavily in handheld data collectors for house-to-house census (maybe 2000 - the years start to lump together). This was for the device and software, including development. Except these devices already existed, and were used by meter readers. All that was necessary would be to customize an off-the-shelf device, which many of these companies did for utilities, anyway.

Back in the day, it was done by mail. After all, everyone had a mailing address then. You got a census, filled it out, sent it back. I think it was concerns over undercounting that led to census takers visiting homes, hanging a census form on the front door if nobody was there. Except here people tend to use the back door, not the front, and might or might not notice it. Can't remember if we could fill out the 2010 Census online. Probably so. We could the 2020.

Umm...We're off topic, aren't we.

• Friendly
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not all the news was positive.
Some people talk of a 'spiritual vacum'. If Christianity, practising and nominal fall away then some will turn to something else, to fill the void. The bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that God has set eternity in the heart of man.

it seems Islam is rising in England. If you had issues with Christianity wait until we see the Caliphate of England! England has a greater % of Muslims now than Spain did when they became a Muslim country.

Kind Regards :)

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Some people talk of a 'spiritual vacum'. If Christianity, practising and nominal fall away then some will turn to something else, to fill the void. The bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that God has set eternity in the heart of man.

it seems Islam is rising in England. If you had issues with Christianity wait until we see the Caliphate of England! England has a greater % of Muslims now than Spain did when they became a Muslim country.

Kind Regards :)

Spain was literally invaded by an Islamic army. There is no such army at the gates of Britain.

On a related note, I saw some information about Muslim demographics in the US based on a detailed survey: In only 10 US counties were the number of Muslims 6% or more of the population. For more that 2500 counties (the majority) the number was so low as to be undetectable in the survey.

Upvote 0