• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Celtic & Nordic Folk Metal

Discussion in 'Music' started by Unofficial Reverand Alex, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+1,848
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Just found these great songs while doing Statistics homework. I really appreciate when metal has a lot of musicality to it; just power without the musicality (such as Rage Against the Machine) is fine for background, but something like this is something great to listen to several times & keep hearing new things, along with amazement of the talent to play the different parts, not to mention whoever thought to write it all:

May we always find God in the beauty of Creation!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Sleep is for the weak

+2,603
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Cool!

Lately, I've been listening to Slavic and Celtic Trap with some "Viking" music.

3. Citanul

Citanul Well, when exactly do you mean?

+2,197
    South Africa
    Methodist
    Single
    This is perhaps making the discussion a little broader than the OP, but while I like the idea of folk metal I've struggled to find too many bands that really work for me, for two main reasons. One is that a lot make use of harsh vocals, and I'm just not a fan of them (except in occasional small doses for effect). The other is that when they get it right, it sounds awesome, but not everyone can get it right consistently, and when they don't the songs can come off sounding very ordinary.

Having said that, here is some folk metal that I do like.

4. Kalevalatar

Kalevalatar Veteran

+736
    Christian
    Private
    Joik metal, takes inspiration from the traditional Sámi music (the Arctic Sámi are the only indigenous people within the European Union). I'm a fan of joik myself.

For example, Intrigue a Northern Sámi band from Norway:

Finnish Shaman/Korpiklaani, with joik & traditional Finnish humppa: