• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Cellular pathways that extend lifespan by 500 percent identified

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Michael, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,160
    Christian
    Pathways that extend lifespan by 500 percent identified: Discovery of cellular mechanisms could open door to more effective anti-aging therapies

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,185
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,105
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,845
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    What?

5. SkyWriting

+6,105
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    My ancestors are from Germany and Ireland according to my DNA.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. SkyWriting

+6,105
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Every 12 months improvements in medicine add a certain amount to a current living persons lifespan.

If you graph out the data, in about 20 years it reaches more than 12 months longevity added every 12 months. That assumes no big breakthroughs on longevity.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,845
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Evidence please.

8. SLP

SLP Senior Member

+523
    Atheist
    Right, that that loser Moses.

9. Michael

+1,160
    Christian
    People who live by the sword would still tend to die by the sword, so I'm not all that concerned about mass murders and dictator. On the other hand, an Einstein or Newton that lived 500 years might result in technological advances on a scale that we've never seen before. Even in my lifetime science has fundamentally changed the world that I grew up in.

10. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+4,668
    Atheist
    Continuous progressions of that kind are extremely rare - diminishing returns usually cause an asymptotic tail-off; even if there are jumps or stepwise improvements, they tend to become less frequent and/or smaller over time.

The trick, for investors, is to identify where you are on the curve ;)

11. FrumiousBandersnatch

+4,668
    Atheist
  12. SkyWriting

+6,105
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The opposite is happening. The abilities are compounding. Cooperation between abilities, communication, technology, Genetics, and AI are building on each other.

Remember when cars couldn't park themselves?
    Remember when cell phones had shoulder straps?
    Remember when DNA testing was reserved for murders?
    DNA Test For Dogs - Amazon | Free 2-day Shipping w/ Prime‎

13. FrumiousBandersnatch

+4,668
    Atheist
    OK, I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. I was referring explicitly to the idea that longevity could increase in a roughly linear progression for as long as suggested in post #6.

Many technologies have been in the rapid growth phase, but each has its lifetime before it is optimised, or diminishing returns set in, or it hits a limiting factor, or it is replaced.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  14. Michael

+1,160
    Christian
    I agree actually. I would however expect medicine to experience the same kind of impressive breakthroughs that we've seen in electronics and other areas of research over the next century. A lot of money is being invested in the field, and it's bound to pay some impressive dividends over time.

At my age however, I'm unlikely to see the kind of advancement that would be required to see my own lifetime extended significantly as a result of such efforts.

I think I'd be better off dieting and exercising. :)