Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The will of God is not to spread a false Gospel or follow a false prophet. I don't think you even understand the context of the quotes above.
This is the true gospel:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This is the true gospel:

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Jesus and His disciples said:

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
JS has his own he has added.

Joh_10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Mar_16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mat_10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Mat_24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Luk_8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
Act_2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Act_4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Act_15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Act_16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Act_16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Rom_5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
Rom_10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom_10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Eph_2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
Tit_3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh_14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

The bottom line after the cross is that we obey God's commandments out of love--not duty.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and His disciples said:

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
JS has his own he has added.

Joh_10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Mar_16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mat_10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Mat_24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Luk_8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
Act_2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Act_4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Act_15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Act_16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Act_16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Rom_5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
Rom_10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom_10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Eph_2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
Tit_3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh_14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

The bottom line after the cross is that we obey God's commandments out of love--not duty.
God's commandments are love. Those who do not keep the commandments don't know God because they don't know love:
(New Testament | 1 John 2:4)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

God is love.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the true gospel:

Why is this your go to verse for the gospel? Is it called the gospel according to Ecclesiastes?? Gospel literally means "good news" and is only found in the New Testament because it refers to Jesus Christ and his proclamation that the kingdom of Heaven has come through his life, death, and resurrection. Paul summarized it in 1 Cor 15: 1-11.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why is this your go to verse for the gospel? Is it called the gospel according to Ecclesiastes?? Gospel literally means "good news" and is only found in the New Testament because it refers to Jesus Christ and his proclamation that the kingdom of Heaven has come through his life, death, and resurrection. Paul summarized it in 1 Cor 15: 1-11.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is pretty simple. Believe in him, love him, keep his commandment, IOW be like him, endure to the end, and by his grace he shall wash your sins away through his atoning sacrifice, raise you up from the dead in a new and perfect resurrected body and allow you into his kingdom to live with him for all eternities. Men make this gospel message more complicated than it needs to be.

Men have also seen fit to dismantle the simple gospel of Jesus Christ. Since it is sometimes a trial to endure to the end and keep his commandments, men have replaced this gospel with all kinds of other gospels. Be careful which gospel you choose to follow. If someone tells you, all you have to do is believe and you will be saved, then you need to ask, if this is all one has to do, then why do we have such a thick bible to teach us what we must do? Why are there so many pages of the bible that preach to us to keep the commandments? Why so many verses that stress doing the will of the Savior? Why so many verses that stress that we should be engaged in good works? Why so many verses that tell us to overcome the evils of this world?

The entire gospel is rather simple, but you must know the entirety of it in order to be saved. You can not start a race, and not finish it, and then try to declare you are the winner. Believing is just the start of the race, there are other things you must be engaged in in order to finish the race. If you are not aware of the things you must do to finish or if you decide you are not going to do the things required to finish the race, you will be in a nice place for eternity, but not in the presence of God and His Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I put a lot of emphasis on keeping the commandments because that is the main theme of the Bible. It was also the greatest promise made in the Bible:
(New Testament | John 14:23)

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Once a person knows the way of righteousness (living the commandments) he should not turn from it:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:21 - 22)

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Those who do not keep the commandments can not know God.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Knowing God is life eternal.

(New Testament | John 17:3)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Without the atonement there would be no redemption, but life eternal depends on keeping the commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:15 - 16)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Also talking about Paul and 1 Corinthians chapter 15, Paul also said:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:34)

34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put a lot of emphasis on keeping the commandments because that is the main theme of the Bible. It was also the greatest promise made in the Bible:
(New Testament | John 14:23)

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Once a person knows the way of righteousness (living the commandments) he should not turn from it:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:21 - 22)

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Those who do not keep the commandments can not know God.

Knowing God is life eternal.

(New Testament | John 17:3)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Without the atonement there would be no redemption, but life eternal depends on keeping the commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:15 - 16)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Also talking about Paul and 1 Corinthians chapter 15, Paul also said:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:34)

34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
Have you kept every commandment, perfectly, as God intended?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No one has except Jesus Christ that is why the atonement was needed. That does not mean that we don't need to strive to keep the commandments and learn to love one another and God as He intended us to do. All of the commandments are based on love. God loves those who love Him and love their neighbor as themselves. That is the kind of love we strive for. Do you agree or do you have an ulterior motive? Perhaps you are looking for a way to criticize my posts.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As usual, the idea seems to be that Mormons are the only ones to emphasize the commandments while the rest of us...I don't know...have hippie free-love fests and preach whatever it is we feel like and give God the finger, all because we don't buy the LDS 'restoration' narrative...which is, after all, only one of many, so why is Joseph Smith's any more inherently believable than Muhammad's or Felix Manalo's or Michael Travesser's? Because Mormons themselves believe in it? Because it gives them a nice feeling and they think their feelings are the Holy Spirit? It doesn't make sense.

They can't even really show how they 'keep the commandments' or even what they mean by saying that in any kind of unique way that wouldn't apply even more to Christians, outside of pointing to the made-up 'ordinances' that are part of their phony Mormon restoration which of course we do not have because nobody else recognizes any of that as having actually happened in the first place.

It's pretty silly, when you think about it. They take a thing that can only apply to them to begin with because they're the ones that made it up and then form an entire 15-million person international cheerleading squad they call a religion to reinforce how it makes them the only ones who are really following God, or even know what it means to do so. Pfft. Literally anyone can do that, you know. I could do that tomorrow, if I wanted to tempt God (which I don't), and then -- bam -- I and only I could hold "the keys" and "authority" (other things that Mormons obsess over) to XYZ, and the rest of you would be up a creek.

Now where are all the free women, money, and songs about how great I am? Come on! Chop chop! You want to show 'God' how good you are at following 'his commandments' by telling me how great I am, right?

See how easy it is to be a false prophet/form a false religion? Add into that the pressure to bear a 'testimony' about how "I know this Church is true because blahblahblahblah" (a bunch of self-serving nonsense, disconnected from any sense of reality), and then you're basically done. It's a completely closed system.

I can kinda see how people in Joseph's time and place fell for it (there are entire books about that, like Early Mormonism and the Magic World View by D. Michael Quinn), but for people to continue to do so and furthermore to spend so much time and energy convincing others is just bizarre. No doubt a great deal of this must be attributed to the effectiveness of the Mormon missionary program (laudable in scope and zeal, if nothing else) and its high pressure sales techniques and other predatory behaviors, but still...it's a bit depressing to think of all the people who think they've found the ancient 'restored' Church but are being bamboozled by a tiny group selling them a baseless alternate history narrative that if it had been written today would be on the shelf next to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code as a piece of imaginative Bible fiction, rather than mixed in with the foundational texts of religions not made up by yarn-spinning farm boys in 19th century upstate NY, like the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an, the Vedas, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As usual, the idea seems to be that Mormons are the only ones to emphasize the commandments while the rest of us...I don't know...have hippie free-love fests and preach whatever it is we feel like and give God the finger, all because we don't buy the LDS 'restoration' narrative...which is, after all, only one of many, so why is Joseph Smith's any more inherently believable than Muhammad's or Felix Manalo's or Michael Travesser's? Because Mormons themselves believe in it? Because it gives them a nice feeling and they think their feelings are the Holy Spirit? It doesn't make sense.

They can't even really show how they 'keep the commandments' or even what they mean by saying that in any kind of unique way that wouldn't apply even more to Christians, outside of pointing to the made-up 'ordinances' that are part of their phony Mormon restoration which of course we do not have because nobody else recognizes any of that as having actually happened in the first place.

It's pretty silly, when you think about it. They take a thing that can only apply to them to begin with because they're the ones that made it up and then form an entire 15-million person international cheerleading squad they call a religion to reinforce how it makes them the only ones who are really following God, or even know what it means to do so. Pfft. Literally anyone can do that, you know. I could do that tomorrow, if I wanted to tempt God (which I don't), and then -- bam -- I and only I could hold "the keys" and "authority" (other things that Mormons obsess over) to XYZ, and the rest of you would be up a creek.

Now where are all the free women, money, and songs about how great I am? Come on! Chop chop! You want to show 'God' how good you are at following 'his commandments' by telling me how great I am, right?

See how easy it is to be a false prophet/form a false religion? Add into that the pressure to bear a 'testimony' about how "I know this Church is true because blahblahblahblah" (a bunch of self-serving nonsense, disconnected from any sense of reality), and then you're basically done. It's a completely closed system.

I can kinda see how people in Joseph's time and place fell for it (there are entire books about that, like Early Mormonism and the Magic World View by D. Michael Quinn), but for people to continue to do so and furthermore to spend so much time and energy convincing others is just bizarre. No doubt a great deal of this must be attributed to the effectiveness of the Mormon missionary program (laudable in scope and zeal, if nothing else) and its high pressure sales techniques and other predatory behaviors, but still...it's a bit depressing to think of all the people who think they've found the ancient 'restored' Church but are being bamboozled by a tiny group selling them a baseless alternate history narrative that if it had been written today would be on the shelf next to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code as a piece of imaginative Bible fiction, rather than mixed in with the foundational texts of religions not made up by yarn-spinning farm boys in 19th century upstate NY, like the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an, the Vedas, etc.
Say all you want, but the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just keeps growing. The idea of current prophets and apostles of God and more information about God and His Son Jesus Christ, and scriptures that explain the bible and make it clearer. Marriage that is for time and eternity, instead of until death you do part, meaning your families can be together forever. The idea that you can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through your gift of the Holy Spirit. That you do all that you can for the building up of the kingdom of God and then by the grace of Jesus Christ, your sins are all forgiven and you can then be allowed to enter into the kingdom of God and His Christ. It is all very important concepts to the Christian and non-Christian people of today, eventually to be a world-wide phenomena.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's a question you might ask a Jew at the time of Christ. Not now, being under the New Testament, and the atonement of Jesus Chrsit having been successfully completed. Right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is the true gospel:

Really? Your leaders lied! They added JosephSmithism to the commandments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No one has except Jesus Christ that is why the atonement was needed. That does not mean that we don't need to strive to keep the commandments and learn to love one another and God as He intended us to do. All of the commandments are based on love. God loves those who love Him and love their neighbor as themselves...

Selective isn't he?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Mormon Requirements for Exaltation(Eternal Life)
The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the [Mormon]gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us all the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted(saved), we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

1. We must be baptized.

2.We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

4. We must receive the temple endowment.

5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

Love God and our neighbors.

Keep the commandments.

Repent of our wrongdoings.

Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

Have family and individual prayers every day.

Teach the gospel to others by word and example.

Study the scriptures.

Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

Gospel Principles, c. 1978, 1979, and 1981, Chapter 47, Exaltation, p. 291-292

I think they forgot to say that if the bishop calls you to serve in some capacity you are to regard that calling as coming directly from God. You should accept the calling.

“For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for the blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted before the foundations of the world. (D&C 132:5.)”
Elray L. Christiansen, General Conference, Oct. 1972

I hope that answers some questions.

Also:

Chapter 47: Exaltation

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Selective isn't he?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Mormon Requirements for Exaltation(Eternal Life)
The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the [Mormon]gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us all the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted(saved), we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

1. We must be baptized.

2.We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

4. We must receive the temple endowment.

5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

Love God and our neighbors.

Keep the commandments.

Repent of our wrongdoings.

Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

Have family and individual prayers every day.

Teach the gospel to others by word and example.

Study the scriptures.

Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

Gospel Principles, c. 1978, 1979, and 1981, Chapter 47, Exaltation, p. 291-292

I think they forgot to say that if the bishop calls you to serve in some capacity you are to regard that calling as coming directly from God. You should accept the calling.

“For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for the blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted before the foundations of the world. (D&C 132:5.)”
Elray L. Christiansen, General Conference, Oct. 1972

I hope that answers some questions.

Also:

Chapter 47: Exaltation
If someone was smart, they would make a copy of this and pin it to their mirror and read it every day, and they will be happy when the time comes to be saved in the Kingdom of God and His Christ.

Thank you Phoebe Ann.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If someone was smart, they would make a copy of this and pin it to their mirror and read it every day, and they will be happy when the time comes to be saved in the Kingdom of God and His Christ.

Thank you Phoebe Ann.

Christians already know that verse by heart. We don't need it on our mirrors; and the Kingdom of God is within us.

We don't and won't follow false prophets or be deceived by your missionaries or literature.

The Son is not the Father's Savior if that is what you think.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Christians already know that verse by heart. We don't need it on our mirrors; and the Kingdom of God is within us.

We don't and won't follow false prophets or be deceived by your missionaries or literature.

The Son is not the Father's Savior if that is what you think.
The Son is the Savior that the Father sent, so to call Jesus the Father's Christ, is fully appropriate.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
As usual, the idea seems to be that Mormons are the only ones to emphasize the commandments while the rest of us...I don't know...have hippie free-love fests and preach whatever it is we feel like and give God the finger,

I know that you're trying to be funny here, but...

...You apparently haven't met the kinds of people we've met.

Long story short, the louder one is about describing themselves as a "Good Christian" the greater the odds are that they are not living in a Christ-like fashion.

The kinds of people who have the [insert adjective here] to become a part of the Christian Counter-Cult are quite likely to declare themselves "Good Christians".

Do the math, and you'll see why we're collectively so cynical.

I can kinda see how people in Joseph's time and place fell for it (there are entire books about that, like Early Mormonism and the Magic World View by D. Michael Quinn), but for people to continue to do so and furthermore to spend so much time and energy convincing others is just bizarre.

Consider the people above who I've referred to.

If they were the people trying to "save" you out of your present belief system, would you follow them?

I'm being literal when I say that there have been people who *joined* us because the example set by some minister somewhere was so terrible they didn't want to be a part of that faith tradition.

This is one of those "mote vs. beam" situations where mainline Christianity needs to be putting its own house in order first.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Really? Your leaders lied! They added JosephSmithism to the commandments.
Actually I was quoting the Bible and these scriptures are true. However sometimes God's expectations are higher:
(New Testament | Matthew 19:18 - 22)

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The gospel of Jesus Christ is pretty simple. Believe in him, love him, keep his commandment, IOW be like him, endure to the end, and by his grace he shall wash your sins away through his atoning sacrifice, raise you up from the dead in a new and perfect resurrected body and allow you into his kingdom to live with him for all eternities. Men make this gospel message more complicated than it needs to be.

Men have also seen fit to dismantle the simple gospel of Jesus Christ.

"No man can accept Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world, no man can accept this as His church, the Church of Jesus Christ, unless he can accept Joseph Smith as God's mouthpiece and the restorer of His work in these latter days."[6]
[6] Clyde J. Williams, ed., The Teachings of Harold B. Lee, [1996], p. 371 as quoted in Ensign (Dec. 2003).

Joseph Smith made a mockery of the true God and true Gospel and you are misrepresenting Mormonism.

“Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow—three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization anyhow. All are to be crammed into one God, according to sectarianism. It would make the biggest God in all the world. He would be a wonderfully big God—he would be a giant or a monster.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372; History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476)

[LDS] Ordinances are basic to the gospel. Now, what is the gospel of which we speak? It is the power of God unto salvation; it is the code of [LDS] laws and commandments which help us to become perfect, and the ordinances which constitute the entrance requirements.
(Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, edited by Edward L. Kimball, Bookcraft, 1982, p. 502)

My faith tells me:
Because God will preserve us, we will in fact endure in faith.

John 10:27-30 ESV
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 ESV
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Philippians 1:6 ESV
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ

Upvote 0