Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Like mormonism in general, you contradict yourself and use circular reasoning. May you quit chasing your tail and know the real meaning of God's grace.
We are saved by grace after all that we can do which is not enough to save us:
(New Testament | Luke 17:10)

10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
(New Testament | Romans 3:12)

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

We must do the will of God:

(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy is the Mormon preaching that there are multiple Gods!
How many Gods are there when I say, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

And during the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3:16-17) these 3 Gods were in 3 different places at exactly the same time.
1) God the Son, coming out of the Jordan river
2) God the Father, in the cloud, declaring how much he loved His Son.
3) God the Holy Spirit was half way between the God the Father and God the Son, eventually falling upon God the Son.

3 God, in 3 different places at exactly the same time.

If the bible declares it, I would not call it blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I can't even state how horrible that statement is. Talk about grieving away the Holy Spirit---no wonder the truth can not get to you! As long as this is how you really feel---you have no concept of who God is and never will. Again, if you do not know God, He will not know you. You go right ahead and be grateful to Satan for the evil that is in this world---I personally will be looking forward to his demise. JS will be right next to him for bringing his form of devil worshop into this world. How very. very sad.
Adam and Eve were given this world as their dominion. They gave away that dominion to Sastan at the fsall. That is why Satan could go before the gsathering of the heavenly host as representative of this world. At the cross--that dominion was taken from him through the sinless Christ.
satan is a defeated foe because the Son of God became human and never sinned. We await the judgement---0it will not go well for your god, he lost the war 2000 years ago---by the 2nd Adam, who knew no evil.:doh::swoon::sad::unbelievable:
How do you come up with me, a satan worshiper? All I said is that satan told Eve something, and the Lord said that the man and the woman have become as one of us.

I am certainly not a satan worshiper, so stop it. Just because we think that satan had something to do with the fall of Adam and Eve, does not make us satan worshipers, so stop it.
The bible backs us up that satan had something to do with the fall, or do you not believe your own bible.

So stop with the satan worship stuff.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You said "The end result of that knowledge was ....." Actually this was the end result.

(Old Testament | Genesis 3:22)

22 ¶ And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

You said: "it is not that man can become God!!" Do you have anything to back that up?

Seriously??---You totally bypass the fact that Jesus, God the Son, became a man--He left the splendor of His heavenly home to save us and all you can say is---have you got something to back up the fact that we don't become God??? That's what I mean. JS has brainwashed you poeople into all you can see is what you can get from God instead of what God has done for us!!!! Have you got anything to back up what you believe that God the Father was human before becoming God??---Nothing, just the word of a young man with delusions of grandeur.
Psa 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

So you think the end result is that Adam and Eve became as God---and without the sacrifice of Jesus---what would be the end result of this godhood??

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Second heaven is not mentioned in the Bible nor is the first heaven. The Bible not give a description of the third heaven either, you are making an assumption based on your beliefs.

The bible does not describe 3 levels of heaven at all---you are making an assumption based on the believes of JS.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What? You had originally asked me how I knew that Christ is God by nature whereas we are not, so I responded with verses about that. Now you're saying that the verses I quoted didn't talk about something else which you didn't originally ask me about...oops? :doh:

Yeah, I addressed this already in that reply.

Yeah, and if you're silly enough to take the prophecy of the Spirit literally, then you'll be having dinner with Jesus, too, together with the entire Church of the Laodiceans, excepting those whom Jesus Christ (again, literally, as you'd have it) vomits out of his mouth...so, y'know...bring some napkins in either case!

"And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."

+++

Yes. What's wrong with this? He's saying "Hey, fellow Jews, your scriptures say that you are called gods and you have no problem with that, so if you have no problem with that being said of yourselves to whom the scriptures came, why do you have a problem with me saying that I am the Son of God for having been sent from God the Father likewise?" He's comparing their defense of the scriptures which contain a similar idea with their bristling at him saying about himself the He is likewise sent from God, as they already believed of their holy writings which ought to have already clued them into the concept of being 'sons of God', since again, they can't have a problem with that without having a problem with their own scriptures.

Oh they do not. Mormonism has just made you unable to read beyond the most simple-minded and unconvincing proof-texting imaginable. Quoting even just a little bit beyond the two verses you've focused on shows how it can't possibly mean that, and in fact says the exact opposite.

Here, I'll show you. Here's what you quoted:

(New Testament | Philippians 2:5 - 6)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God

And here it is in context, from the beginning of the chapter up through verse 11 (this is where there is a paragraph break in my Bible, so I figured it'd be a natural place to end):

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

+++

Did'ya happen to notice the part directly after where you stopped quoting? I put it in big text so that hopefully this time you won't overlook it. Do you notice how it says that He "made Himself of no reputation", and "came in the likeness of a man", and "became obedient to the point of death", etc.? Wouldn't those phrasings be just a little bit strange if in fact the point of the passage was that He was a man who became God, and not the other way around? If you're already a man, you don't have to make yourself a man. You already are one. You don't need to make yourself what you already are. That's what being something is. (Ow. My brain. This is so stupidly obvious it is hurting my brain.) And "becoming obedient to the point death" makes no sense, either, as men don't die as a matter of obedience, but because men are not naturally immortal. But you know Who is immortal by nature, right? I'll give you one guess... :D

For Christians, this part of the Bible is yet another testament to the reality of the incarnation of Christ our God, whereby God became man. This is why you find it alluded to rather heavily (in some of the same wording: "...did not consider equality with God a thing to be held on to, but released it and emptied yourself, and took the form of a servant...") in the Coptic Orthodox Christmas liturgy, for instance:

What you are preaching instead (the opposite of what actually happened) is some kind of weird adoptionism, which is one of the oldest heresies encountered and conquered by the Church. It is arguably countered in the scriptures themselves (and I only write "arguably" because it didn't emerge as its own heresy until the 2nd century, so it is obviously not mentioned by name in the scriptures, though the ideas behind it are countered in, e.g., John 1:18, John 3:16, Romans 8:32, etc.), but even if you were to argue that isn't, then we still have witnesses in the late 2nd/early 3rd century (i.e., contemporaneous or nearly so with the full-blown birth of the heresy itself) who call it as a heresy in their own time, such as St. Hippolytus of Rome.

Mormonism is nothing but a repackaging of ancient heresies under new names. If it was wrong in the first, second, and third centuries (and it was), what on earth makes you think it would be right in the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries? It wasn't then, and it still isn't, and it won't be next time, either.
I notice you did not bold or change the font size of verse 9:
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. And yes Jesus is referring to their scripture where He called them Gods in the Old Testament. So why did He call them Gods?:
(Old Testament | Psalms 82:6)

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

And what about these verses:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:13 - 15)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
How do you come up with me, a satan worshiper? All I said is that satan told Eve something, and the Lord said that the man and the woman have become as one of us.

I am certainly not a satan worshiper, so stop it. Just because we think that satan had something to do with the fall of Adam and Eve, does not make us satan worshipers, so stop it.
The bible backs us up that satan had something to do with the fall, or do you not believe your own bible.

So stop with the satan worship stuff.

Don't sit there telling me that if it hadn't been for the fall we would never have been born and that Adam was finally on the right path to godhood because of the fall and then tell me that you don't worship Satan! You praise him for children and for the fall---it is the fall that caused the death of God the Son. and you are thankful for it!!! You are grateful to Satan and you can say whatever you want---that is exactly what you are saying. At the very core of this is nothing but self aggrandizement. It magnifies sin, diminishes the horrible price Jesus had to pay to save us from this horrible thing you are so thankful for! You religion is a self centered one. God calls us to be God centered. It is all about what God did for us, not what we can do for ourselves. This concept alone is enough to make me turn completely away from Mormonism. The more I find out about this so called religion, the more I know that it is not of God. I mourn for such lack of the Holy Spirit. Whatever spirit you think you have---it is not the Holy Spirit from God the Father, and Son.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Now that is interesting. "We become the God we serve"? Would you care to elaborate on that statement?

We take on the character of what we worship. You praise the fall---it is the fall that gives you godhood and children. We praise God and His love for us that saves us from that fall. You value the godhood you think you will have---we value the love of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In this scripture God put the stars, which you call the second heaven in the firmament which you call the first heaven, so why would it be the first and second heaven?

The first heaven is this earthly atmosphere--that includes the lights He made for us---the 2nd is outside those lights--the other galaxies out there---outer space---the 3rd is where God dwells.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It's not rocket science---the first heaven is the atmosphere around the earth--what is called the firmament in the bible. The second heaven is where all the stars, planets and galaxies are--where God placed all the lights ---what we call "outer space". The 3rd heavens is where He dwells.
In Genesis 1, the only reference to heaven is that in day 2 God called the firmament heaven. But beyond this, there is no reference in the bible that says "the first heaven is the atmosphere around us, and the second heaven is where the stars etc. are, and the 3rd heaven is where God dwells. If there is biblical scriptures that tell us about this set up, please quote them. Otherwise I will think that you made this up too. Please chapter and verse.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The bible does not describe 3 levels of heaven at all---you are making an assumption based on the believes of JS.
Yes, we do hear JS, but we back it up with the bible too. This is one way to confirm truth. We also pray about this information to see what the Holy Spirit says too.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are right, but only in 1 aspects of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
They are ONE in purpose.

How could they be ONE and be in 3 different places at exactly the same time at the baptism of Jesus?

Where was God the Mother?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In Genesis 1, the only reference to heaven is that in day 2 God called the firmament heaven. But beyond this, there is no reference in the bible that says "the first heaven is the atmosphere around us, and the second heaven is where the stars etc. are, and the 3rd heaven is where God dwells. If there is biblical scriptures that tell us about this set up, please quote them. Otherwise I will think that you made this up too. Please chapter and verse.

LOL! What have you got for this 3 levels of heaven??? You've been given the verses from me and others---you reject them for what JS has to say. I haven't made up the minds of other Christians on the subject.
It is what Christians believe. There certainly is no 3 levels of heaven --The 3rd heaven is God's dwelling place---
2Co_12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
There is a 3rd heaven, there obviously is a first, for that is what God says---the second would be in-between the first and 3rd---
Now---chapter and verse for your 3 levels of heaven---and I don't mean the writings of JS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I notice you did not bold or change the font size of verse 9:
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Amen! Why would this not be so? Is Christ's Lordship somehow not to the glory of God the Father from Whom He is begotten? That would be absolute nonsense. The Father is the eternal source of all divinity which is shared equally between the Persons of the Holy Trinity, so of course it is to the glory of God the Father! Everything is!

And I think you are reading the Mormon idea of "exaltation" into verse 9, but that is a completely foreign concept to Christianity, so I'm not sure what to say...that's simply not what that means, as that Mormon idea is absent from the early Church. It is something you are reading into the text due to your non-Christian theology.

And yes Jesus is referring to their scripture where He called them Gods in the Old Testament. So why did He call them Gods?:
(Old Testament | Psalms 82:6)

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High
What do you mean? You've shown it yourself here: it was a reference to the Psalms, as both they and He would've well known. And the meaning is as we've already discussed in the other reply. What more are you looking for? (Sorry; I feel like I'm not understanding what you're meaning to get at, beyond perhaps saying "This is why Mormonism says this doctrine is Biblical", which I already know.)

And what about these verses:

(New Testament | Philippians 3:13 - 15)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Do you want a traditional Christian exegesis of them? I personally like St. Clement of Alexandria's teaching from his work Paedagogus ('The Instructor'; early 3rd century, as the saint died in 215 AD), wherein he writes: And yet he reckons himself perfect, because he has been emancipated from his former life, and strives after the better life, not as perfect in knowledge, but as aspiring after perfection. Wherefore also he adds, "As many of us as are perfect, are thus minded,"

Other less-controversial early Christian witnesses (St. Clement is rejected by some due to some errors in his theology carried over from the cosmology and anthropology of his pre-Christian life as a pagan) concur, such as Archelaus of Carrhae (c. 278 AD) in his dispute with the Manichaeans: "in other words, when one reaches forth unto those things which are before, he will forget those which are behind." And St. Cyprian of Carthage (d. 258), in his 62nd epistle, writes concerning the fifteenth verse: "And because already His second coming draws near to us, His benign and liberal condescension is more and more illuminating our hearts with the light of truth."

(NB: All sources are to be found here in the E-Catena, which is a compendium that links to the Ante-Nicene and Nicene Fathers' collections at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library website, which can otherwise be quite unwieldy or daunting due to its layout and complexity, despite being also a truly invaluable resource of early Christian writings, both from saints and non-saints.)

So it is clearly about our perfection by His teaching and our adhering to it, forgetting that which came before in striving for what is now before us, which is better. It is not evidence of any Mormon "exaltation" or "progression". Again, you simply don't find those kinds of things in the early Church witnesses, except perhaps in those philosophies carried over from paganism (by e.g., St. Justin Martyr or St. Clement of Alexandria or others who were converts from paganism) which were themselves in contradiction of the scriptures, and hence rejected by the Church from the early days.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are saved by grace after all that we can do which is not enough to save us:
(New Testament | Luke 17:10)

10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
(New Testament | Romans 3:12)

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

We must do the will of God:

(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
The will of God is not to spread a false Gospel or follow a false prophet. I don't think you even understand the context of the quotes above.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
How many Gods are there when I say, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

And during the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3:16-17) these 3 Gods were in 3 different places at exactly the same time.
1) God the Son, coming out of the Jordan river
2) God the Father, in the cloud, declaring how much he loved His Son.
3) God the Holy Spirit was half way between the God the Father and God the Son, eventually falling upon God the Son.

3 God, in 3 different places at exactly the same time.

If the bible declares it, I would not call it blasphemy.

There is only one omnipresent God.

Upvote 0