Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Canines’ care follows in St. Francis’ footsteps, showing the blessings of faithful companions.

20210922200932_965b39c38beaa6628308be1844b4dc3b0da0133cdd8366412262f9facc8153ec.jpg

Clockwise from right: School communities like Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep find joy and comfort in the presence of furry friends. Bishop Daniel Jenky, shown with his chihuahuas, and Father William Krizner, shown with his bearded collies, and their parish communities enjoy the companionship of their dogs. (photo: Courtesy of Preston Kendall, Bishop Daniel Jenky and Father William Krizner)

As Father John Paul Echert began experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 recently, his beagle, Charlie, recognized something was wrong and responded.

“Even now, with my COVID, my dog is really sensitive,” said the pastor of Holy Trinity parish, consisting of Holy Trinity and St. Augustine Churches in South St. Paul, Minnesota, who was hospitalized with the illness in early September but has since recovered. “As I was showing signs of sickness, he was always there in the bed with me, right beside me all the time.”

Three-year-old Charlie is one of many pets who, as sensitive companions, bring life and joy to clergy and school and parish communities. As we celebrate the feast day of creation-loving St. Francis of Assisi, this article looks at dogs who not only delight their owners but have their own ministries of support as beloved members of the parishes and schools they frequently visit.

“Anybody who has a dog or other pet knows that these are gifts from God, to be enjoyed, and there’s something about dogs in particular — that they’re just always your friend, no matter what,” said Father Echert, who has had two beagles in his 16 years at his parish.

Continued below.
Celebrating St. Francis of Assisi: Dogs Offer ‘Ministry of Presence’