LinJ

Jun 9, 2013
Texas
✟7,621.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been married for 20 years and about 6 years ago he decided that celebrating Christmas was wrong. So, we threw away all of our decorations including all of the ornaments that I had collected for all children over all of those years. This lead to stopping all celebrations (birthdays, easter, 4th of July), I mean everything. I followed along with this and I can't say really prayed about it. Long story short, my life has been miserable every since.

My question is are there any other Christians out there that don't celebrate Holidays for this reason?:confused:

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
1. He is of the opinion that all holidays are of pagan origins.
2. He thinks Jerimiah Chapter 10 says that Christmas trees are wrong.
3. He says that the bible does not instruct us to celebrate any holidays.

Ok, I went through a period where I didn't celebrate Christmas having read a number of Puritans and adopted the Regulative Principle of Worship. I have since changed my mind, I found John Frame very helpful, especially his book The Doctrine of the Christian Life and the article 'A Fresh Look at the Regulative Principle'.

Jeremiah is not condemning Christmas trees, he is condemning idolatry. The trees in Jeremiah 10 are cut down to carve them into idols that will later be decorated with gold and silver.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We no longer celebrate Christmas. There is no Scripture commanding us to celebrate Christmas or Easter for that matter. They are man-made traditions.

i'm with you there on them being man made

but i do enjoy the opportunity to remember the gift of the lord Jesus to us
but i throw out the pagan parts .
it baffles me why we don't, As Christians, keep some form of festival at the time of the feast of tabernacles ( booths) which apparently is far closer to the time of the lords Birth( around September I think ) - and the Passover - which is a more accurate remembrance of the time of his death and Resurrection .

Upvote 0

daporkchop

Still a Newbie
Jun 18, 2013
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a string of blinking lights causes one person to hear the real Christmas story, don't see any reason to stop. Plus our children can hear it again.

I agree.

The Bible doesn't command us to do a lot of things we do. The Bible never commanded us to breath.

I enjoy being able to celebrate the birth of Christ (even if it's not on the exact day that he was born). God has put in the Bible what is important to our salvation. Jesus being born was important.

So many good things come from Christmas, I too see no reason to stop doing what brings good to people. As long as you are doing it for the Lord and are fully convinced that what you are doing for the Lord is ok, then you are ok. If you have any doubts, then you should pray on it. Then, if you God has shown you why it is not for you, then it's not for you.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been married for 20 years and about 6 years ago he decided that celebrating Christmas was wrong. So, we threw away all of our decorations including all of the ornaments that I had collected for all children over all of those years. This lead to stopping all celebrations (birthdays, easter, 4th of July), I mean everything. I followed along with this and I can't say really prayed about it. Long story short, my life has been miserable every since.

My question is are there any other Christians out there that don't celebrate Holidays for this reason?:confused:

The "Christian" holidays provide a great way to witness the gospel so I don't think they're all bad. As far as celebrating them goes, I don't really think we need the trappings of trees and chocolate bunnies to appreciate them. If it's all about Jesus then make it about Him and not the decorations. You know how people talk about the holiday spirit? The question is, is that the same spirit as the Holy Spirit? I don't think it is, therefore we must be extremely careful in what traditions we embrace.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to celebrate a holiday the bible didn't command us to celebrate. Thanksgiving, for instance..where is the harm in that? It's good for us to be thankful to our Creator. Halloween is a different story, and July 4th doesn't give God any glory. I could also see good reasons to forgo birthdays. In the scripture, birthdays are mentioned 3 times and they are all negative:

Are Birthday Celebrations Christian?

I would ask also why you are miserable? Having Jesus in our lives makes every day better than any holiday, and we can always rejoice in this regardless of the occasion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KNOWLEDGE BOMB

Jun 6, 2013
The suncoast
✟818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christmas was started by the catholic church
Christ and mass - it has Nothing to do with Jesus and you may think your celibrating Christ but He doesn't see it that way... You simply can't re-designate things from pagan to Christ.. Take the star of David - condemed by God as the star of remphan.. Acts 7:43

Christ wasn't born in dec 25th but someone else was??..... The bible tells us that the sheperds were in the fields that night and they are only in the fields at night when the baby lambs are being Born and that's the spring time.... It is wrong to celibrate Christmas

Jesus birth was Never celibrated in the NT. After all when was God born?

It's a pagan holiday made by Satan through his favorite church...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KNOWLEDGE BOMB

Jun 6, 2013
The suncoast
✟818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So many good things come from Christmas, I too see no reason to stop doing what brings good to people. As long as you are doing it for the Lord and are fully convinced that what you are doing for the Lord is ok

KNOWLEDGE BOMB replies:

just cause someone can convince themselfs that they celibrate Christmas for God doesn't make Anything right... Satan introduced Christmas and I think that says enough...

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So many good things come from Christmas, I too see no reason to stop doing what brings good to people. As long as you are doing it for the Lord and are fully convinced that what you are doing for the Lord is ok

KNOWLEDGE BOMB replies:

just cause someone can convince themselfs that they celibrate Christmas for God doesn't make Anything right... Satan introduced Christmas and I think that says enough...
Although my family and I no longer celebrate Christmas There is no Scripture calling celebrating it a sin. It has been made clear in this thread that the choice is yours. You don't need to keep repeating yourself. Frankly your posts sound a little self-righteous.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

KNOWLEDGE BOMB replies:

just cause someone can convince themselves that they celebrate Christmas for God doesn't make Anything right... Satan introduced Christmas and I think that says enough...

that sounds very righteous

do you also watch ZERO television
fast daily?
help the fatherless and the widow in their need ?
pray without ceasing ?
sell all you have and give it to the poor?

what we do or what we do not do has little relevance if we do not walk in obedience to what the Spirit of God is telling each one of us to do .

technically speaking - sure some of those festivals are of pagan origin .
but can you say you know any born again believers who celebrate anything pagan at that time of year ?
personally i do not think we should observe dec 25th ... but those true believers that Do so, .. do so unto the lord , and they give him thanks -
and those that do not do so., do so unto the lord , and they give thanks .

so while it is IMO that we should start a new celebration around the time of the feast of booths ..(September in the southern hemisphere ( i think )- it is not my place to bring condemnation to those that observe dec25 as a day to remember that the word of God became flesh those many years ago

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,673.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I always follow this teaching when it comes to special days.

Romans 14:
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Striker427

May 23, 2013
Arizona
✟7,740.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christmas

We celebrate Christmas at our home and we recognize the birth of Christ in this celebration. What you are describing is a teaching of the law. Can we keep the law? Or do we live in the spirit of the law? Will this separation from a holiday help your walk with the Lord? If we try to keep one letter of the law and we fall then we are guilty of the whole law. You say you are miserable, probably there are offenses given and anger along the way as you try to keep this law. I am sure you miss the love with family members as you share your lives with those you love.

1Co 10:23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
1Co 10:24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.

Love covers a multitude of sins. If you celebrate a holiday do you put the love of Christ in your life first? What does not celebrating the holiday do for you or those around you? Does this teach love or judgement? Just as Paul ate meat sacrificed to idols, was the meat contaminated? No we are free from these things and this way of thinking. There is only one God and we worship him.

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
1Co 8:7 However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1Co 8:8 But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
1Co 8:9 But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1Co 8:10 For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
1Co 8:11 For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
1Co 8:12 And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
1Co 8:13 Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

Did Paul never eat meat again? I'm sure he did, but he was teaching them it is not the meat nor the holiday nor the occasion that brings about our destruction. For we are free. One must look at does this hurt my family, does this bring about the righteousness of God the way I am acting? Am I giving an offense where there should be none? Am I showing love to my neighbor? I am sure that you miss these celebrations with your family and friends. This is a time to share the love of Christ in your life. If love has left your household by living under this law, then pray that the Lord may open a door for other ways to share with friends and family in love.

1Pe 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,673.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Christmas

We celebrate Christmas at our home and we recognize the birth of Christ in this celebration. What you are describing is a teaching of the law. Can we keep the law? Or do we live in the spirit of the law? Will this separation from a holiday help your walk with the Lord? If we try to keep one letter of the law and we fall then we are guilty of the whole law. You say you are miserable, probably there are offenses given and anger along the way as you try to keep this law. I am sure you miss the love with family members as you share your lives with those you love.

1Co 10:23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
1Co 10:24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.

Love covers a multitude of sins. If you celebrate a holiday do you put the love of Christ in your life first? What does not celebrating the holiday do for you or those around you? Does this teach love or judgement? Just as Paul ate meat sacrificed to idols, was the meat contaminated? No we are free from these things and this way of thinking. There is only one God and we worship him.

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
1Co 8:7 However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1Co 8:8 But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
1Co 8:9 But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1Co 8:10 For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
1Co 8:11 For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
1Co 8:12 And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
1Co 8:13 Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

Did Paul never eat meat again? I'm sure he did, but he was teaching them it is not the meat nor the holiday nor the occasion that brings about our destruction. For we are free. One must look at does this hurt my family, does this bring about the righteousness of God the way I am acting? Am I giving an offense where there should be none? Am I showing love to my neighbor? I am sure that you miss these celebrations with your family and friends. This is a time to share the love of Christ in your life. If love has left your household by living under this law, then pray that the Lord may open a door for other ways to share with friends and family in love.

1Pe 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

QFT. This is really the heart of the matter. We have the freedom to love.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

1.He is of the opinion that all holidays are of pagan origins.

he is wrong.

2. He thinks Jerimiah Chapter 10 says that Christmas trees are wrong.

I a guessing that he isn't a scholar on JerEmiah, but someone that bought into the nonsense being preached by someone that also didn't understand Jeremiah.

The passage from Jeremiah has to do with creating idols, not Christmas trees. Christmas trees are only about 500 years old. Jeremiah goes back about 2500 years.

--Christmas trees come from plays about the Book of Genesis - hence, why they are evergreen and originally covered in apples.

3. He says that the bible does not instruct us to celebrate any holidays.

Same book that does not instruct us to post on the internet, watch TV, eat fast food, etc.

Upvote 0