Not open for further replies.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Scarcely a month had elapsed before Urban was summoned to the tribunal of Almachius. The pontiff had been discovered with two priests and three deacons in a grotto where he had been concealed; for it had been impossible for him to remain long in Cecilia's palace. The prefect's officers, disconcerted at not finding in the palace the treasures they had expected, and ignorant of Cecilia's donations to the poor, accused Urban of having received immense sums to secure them from confiscation. Cupidity rendered the search more active, and the Pontiff was finally discovered and arrested.

"Is this," said Almachius," that Urban, that seducer, who has already been twice condemned, and whom the Christians have made their Pope?" {Nonne iste est Urbanus seductor, qui iam semel et iterum [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]atus est, quem Christiani Papam fecerunt?- from the Acts of St. Urban}

"Yes," replied Urban, " it is I who have seduced men from the paths of iniquity, and have led them into the way of truth."

"Is that the way of truth," retorted Almachius, "in which the gods are not honored, nor the princes obeyed?"

"No," said Urban, "I do not honor your gods any more than I fear your princes. Do what you have to do."

The venerable old man was cast into prison with his companions, and during the night some Christians, who had bribed with gold the jailer, Anolinus, came to visit him, and to give him proofs of their filial veneration.

St. Urban, accompanied by his priests and deacons, appeared a second time before the prefect. Almachius at first manifested a little moderation, the result of the uneasiness which he experienced at having so violently persecuted the Christians. "Cease your obstinancy," he said, "and sacrifice to the gods. Already five thousand men have perished in consequence of your seductions. You are responsible for them."

"They have not perished as you imagine, wretched man," replied Urban, "but have ascended gloriously to the kingdom of heaven."

"Yes," said the prefect, "it was this vain hope which so woefully seduced Cecilia, her husband, and her brother-in-law; it was this hope which made them count as nothing that brilliant existence that awaited them on earth. At their death, they left immense treasures- you must restore them."

By these words, the judge betrayed his cupidity. Urban, disdaining to answer the accusation, conteneted himself with saying, "Foolish man! rather render homage to your creator; for those of whom you speak gave up their lives, after distributing their fortunes to the poor."

"Cease this audacity if you wish to live; otherwise you will perish."

"None can perish," said Urban, "but those who by their faith or works, displease the Creator."

"The prefect them addressed the two priests: "And are you of the same opinion?"

"All the counsels of our Father are wise," they replied; "but wisdom will not enter a perverted soul."

"I see," replied Almachius,"you are worse than your master, decrepit and foolish as he is. Are you not ashamed, miserable wretches, to persevere in your insolence, after so many condemnations?"

He then commanded them to be scourged with loaded whips. The order was executed in his presence, and the two confessors, during the blows, repeated, "Lord! we thank Thee."

Almachius, enraged at their constancy, cried out in a voice trembling with passion:

"They must be protected by some enchantment, or they could not still resist our orders."

"It is you," said Urban, "who have become like your gods; for you have ears and hear not; eyes and see not."

"What! do you dare to insult the gods!" cried the prefect; "your head shall be the forffeit of your audacity; I swear it by the gods and goddesses."

"If you wish to judge for yourself how much respect the gods merit, read their history. As to our God, He has created all things, and he strengthens us by these words: 'Fear not those who kill the body, for they cannot kill the soul."

"I understand," said Almachius, "You are old, and for this reason you look upon death as a rest; you are jealous of these young men; you persuade them to sacrifice their lives, because your own is nearly at an end."

One of the priests, indignant at this outrage, interrupted the prefect:"You words are evident falsehoods," he said. "Our Father, from his youth, has always regarded Jesus Christ as his life, and death as a gain. More than once he has confessed Christ, and exposed his life for the flock entrusted to his care."

Almachius ordered the old man and his companions to be reconducted to prison. Here they were again visted by the Christians, and the jailer, Anolinus, was so impressed by the veneration and homage paid to the venerable old man, that he was converted to the faith, baptized by St. Urban, and soon after paid with his life for the honor of being enrolled among the soldiers of Christ.

A short time after, the martyrs were once again summoned before Almachius, who ordered that they should be conducted to the Pagus Triopius, where he hoped they would consent to offer incense to the idol of Jupiter. A critic of our day has remarked, with some reason, that the prefect's motive in choosing a Pagus of the Appian Way for the holy Pontiff's trial was to give greater publicity to his apostasy, if he abjured Christianity so near the place where he had exercised his ministry; or more solemnity to his execution, should he refuse to sacrifice to the gods in a region so frequented by Christians.

The confessors rejected with horror the proposal that they should offer incense to the idols, and were in consequience so cruelly beaten that Lucian, one of the deacons, expired under the blows of the executioner. Finally, on the eighth of the calends of June, three days later, Almachius sent the confessors to a temple of Diana, ordering the soldiers to behead them if they refused to offer sacrifice. On the way, Urban thus exhorted his companions: "It is the Lord who calls us; He who has said, ‘Come to me, all ye that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you.’ Until now, we have known the Lord only as in a glass, and as an enigma; behold the moment when we go to see Him face to face.

When they entered the temple, the martyrs said to the executioners:"Finish your work. It is useless to propose to us an action which you know we scorn." They insisted, however; and upon the martyrs’ refusal, led them out of the temple and beheaded them. Fabian, Callistus, and Ammonius, three Christian tribunes, who had visited the Pontiff in prison, caused the bodies to be carried to the cemetery of Pretextatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.