Cdl Sarah reflects on his deep friendship with the wise, humble and gentle Pope Benedict XVI

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Each encounter with him was a true spiritual experience that marked my soul.'

VATICAN CITY (LifeSiteNews) — Cardinal Robert Sarah, former Prefect for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, shared his personal recollections of the late Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, with whom he collaborated closely for many years within the Roman Curia.

Noting the intellectual stature of the learned pontiff, and that “his homilies have already become classics like those of the Fathers of the Church,” Sarah said that, personally, “each encounter with him was a true spiritual experience that marked my soul. Together, they draw a spiritual portrait of the one I regard as a saint and whom I hope will soon be canonized and declared a doctor of the Church.”

Recounting his own arrival to the Roman Curia in 2001 as an archbishop, Sarah said he “looked with admiration at the perfect understanding between John Paul II and the then-Cardinal Ratzinger.

“They were so united that it became impossible for them to separate from each other. John Paul II marveled at Joseph Ratzinger’s depth. For his part, the cardinal was fascinated by John Paul II’s immersion in God. Both were looking for God and wanted to give the world a taste for this quest.”

Among Benedict’s many virtues, Sarah highlighted his dedication, sensitivity, and kindness. “I have never seen him show the slightest contempt. On the contrary, while he was overwhelmed with work, he made himself entirely available to listen to his interlocutor. If he felt that he had offended someone, he always sought to explain the reasons for his position. He was incapable of a sharp act. I must also say that he showed great respect for African theologians. He even gladly agreed to render practical services, or to pass on a message to John Paul II. This deep benevolence and respectful delicacy towards everyone are characteristic of Joseph Ratzinger,” Sarah testified.

Continued below.