Cdl. Burke: Pope’s homosexual civil union remarks ‘contrary’ to Scripture, Tradition

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. “Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, Tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, no. 2357; Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Persona humana, “Declaration on Certain Questions Concerning Sexual Ethics, no. VIII[1]), inasmuch as they are contrary to the natural law, closed to the gift of life and void of a true affective and sexual complementarity. Therefore, they cannot be approved.

2. The particular and sometimes deep-seated tendencies of persons, men and women, in the homosexual condition, which are for them a trial, although they may not in themselves constitute a sin, represent nonetheless an objectively disordered inclination (Catechism of the Catholic Church, no. 2358; Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Homosexualitatis problema, “Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons,” no. 3[2]). They are, therefore, to be received with respect, compassion and sensitivity, avoiding any unjust discrimination. The Catholic faith teaches the faithful to hate sin but to love the sinner.

3. The faithful, and, in particular, Catholic politicians are held to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Considerations Regarding Proposals To Give Legal Recognition to Unions between Homosexual Persons, Diverse questioni concernenti l’omosessualità, n. 10[3]). The right to form a family is not a private right to vindicate but must correspond to the plan of the Creator Who has willed the human being in sexual difference, “male and female He created them” (Gen 1, 27), thus calling man, male and female, to the transmission of life. “Because married couples ensure the succession of generations and are therefore eminently within the public interest, civil law grants them institutional recognition. Homosexual unions, on the other hand, do not need specific attention from the legal standpoint since they do not exercise this function for the common good.” (Ibidem, no. 9[4]). To speak of a homosexual union, in the same sense as the conjugal union of the married, is, in fact, profoundly misleading, because there can be no such union between persons of the same sex. In what regards the administration of justice, persons in the homosexual condition, as all citizens, can always make use of the provisions of law to safeguard their private rights.

Continued below.
Cdl. Burke: Pope’s homosexual civil union remarks ‘contrary’ to Scripture, Tradition

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What do you do when your leader goes against the scripture of God, Michie? This is a serious question that I would like to know. I do not mean it disparagingly or flippantly.
Bless you

It might also be a good question for thecolorsblend a very outspoken Catholic.
I won't keep on this in case you don't feel comfortable in answering it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you do when your leader goes against the doctrine of God, Michie? This is a serious question that I would like to know. I do not mean it disparagingly or flippantly.
Bless you

It might also be a good question for thecolorsblend a very outspoken Catholic.
I won't keep on this in case you don't feel comfortable in answering it.
Well his opinion does not effect the teachings of the Church. But it’s really disturbing to see this happen. I’m almost getting to the point that nothing he says surprises me anymore. He does not seem terribly concerned with his witness to the faithful.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So he is not one the Catholics have to follow? I don't know the hierarchy of the Catholic church. When he says something like that do you have to abide by it?
No. What he says does not mean it is an official teaching. And if he goes against what the Church teaches, there is no reason to follow what he says.

The pope could say that he thinks people should cut their toe nails on Saturday. That does mean we are obliged to do so. The only thing we are obliged to follow are the teachings of the Church. It would be nice if we could get guidance and support along the way from our clergy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Edward Pentin.

The worldwide communications media have reported with strong emphasis, as a change of course, the news that Pope Francis has declared that persons in the homosexual condition, as children of God, “have a right to have a family” and that “no one should be thrown out or be made unhappy because of it.” Moreover, they write that he has declared: “What we have to create is a civil union. In this way they will be legally covered. I have defended this.” The declarations were made in an interview with Evgeny Afineevsky, director of a documentary, “Francesco,” premiered on October 21, 2020, on the occasion of the Rome Film Festival (Festa del Film di Roma).

Continued below.
Statement From Cardinal Raymond Burke on Pope Francis’ Civil Unions Remarks

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From Edward Pentin.

The worldwide communications media have reported with strong emphasis, as a change of course, the news that Pope Francis has declared that persons in the homosexual condition, as children of God, “have a right to have a family” and that “no one should be thrown out or be made unhappy because of it.” Moreover, they write that he has declared: “What we have to create is a civil union. In this way they will be legally covered. I have defended this.” The declarations were made in an interview with Evgeny Afineevsky, director of a documentary, “Francesco,” premiered on October 21, 2020, on the occasion of the Rome Film Festival (Festa del Film di Roma).

Continued below.
Statement From Cardinal Raymond Burke on Pope Francis’ Civil Unions Remarks
Is it easy for you to explain how he justifies those statements with Romans and others that speak on those acts. They are sins that are identified as sins so he is saying it is okay for these particular sins to do them?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it easy for you to explain how he justifies those statements with Romans and others that speak on those acts. They are sins that are identified as sins so he is saying it is okay for these particular sins to do them?
It isn’t easy to explain anything this pope says. I don’t even try anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like sanctioning the homosexual life.
It goes against what the Church has always taught. I don’t see how the pope can do that in any official sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To me what comes out of the Catholic diocese sets a precedent even for other beliefs as in the back of our minds we reverence the Pope
I’m not so sure about that. Remember Pope Benedict? A personal opinion can certainly influence others but it still is not a teaching of the Church.

Upvote 0