✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Word ban at CDC includes 'vulnerable,' 'fetus,' 'transgender' - CNN
Trump administration reportedly prohibits CDC from using words like 'transgender,' 'fetus'

The banned words include: vulnerable, entitlement, diversity, transgender, fetus, science-based, evidence-based.

From the Fox News article "The analyst told the paper that they 'could not recall a previous time when words were banned from budget documents" due to ideology.'"

This something directly out of a dystopian novel at this point, and as a doctorate student is completely and utterly incredulous, and nothing short of tyrannical. This administration is now trying to dictate science and knowledge, which is wrong on so many levels. Sure, they were given a list of "alternate words", bu this is still nothing short of them attempting to shut down an ideology and worldview that not only does not fit but challenges theirs, and trying to push only their own on everyone else.

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
wow...

can't wait for the logical fallacies required to defend this...

:scratch:

From reading the Fox News comments, it's mostly "The liberals did that to us" or just focusing on transgender while ignoring the other ones.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Talk about authoritarian.
Fetus is a stage in the development of a human being in the womb. It in no way takes away from the fact that it is a tiny human being.
Is the next step coming from the Dept. of Education that school books cannot use scientific terms because the Trump admin. wants to dominate our vocabulary/speech in order to dominate thought?

EDIT: Even my grandson's life science/biology school book, which is published by a Christian home school, uses the word fetus to describe a developing mammal in the womb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This something directly out of a dystopian novel at this point, and as a doctorate student is completely and utterly incredulous, and nothing short of tyrannical...nothing short of them attempting to shut down an ideology and worldview that does not fit but challenges theirs, and trying to push only their own on everyone else.
I take it you never noticed that this has been going on for decades (although most often from the other side of the political aisle)??

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I take it you never noticed that this has been going on for decades (although most often from the other side of the political aisle)??
And it is disingenuous not matter where it is coming from.

Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

"but they did it first!" isn't an argument, and certainly not a valid defense for banning the use of these words. I'm not talking about the Democratic Party, which has crossed free speech lines as well, however, not nearly to the degree of banning of scientists from using words in order to receive funding.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"but they did it first!" isn't an argument, and certainly not a valid defense for banning the use of these words. I'm not talking about the Democratic Party, which has crossed free speech lines as well, however, not nearly to the degree of banning of scientists from using words in order to receive funding.
I would agree with you--under some circumstances. But not when there's raving as though this is something unthinkable...when, in fact, it's been done for years and years by all sorts of governmental agencies like schools, universities, hospitals, state governments, the feds, and most of the media we consult on a daily basis as well.

AND, when the supposedly turn of events concerns 7 paltry words! Yes, the circumstances do affect the reasonableness of the reaction.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I would agree with you--under some circumstances. But not when there's raving as though this is something unthinkable...when, in fact, it's been done for years and years by all sorts of governmental agencies like schools, universities, hospitals, state governments, the feds, and most of the media we consult on a daily basis as well.

AND, when the supposedly turn of events concerns 7 paltry words! Yes, the circumstances do affect the reasonableness of the reaction.

Could you list instances where the other side did this... specific examples and words please???

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

So, you think it's a reasonable for the administration to tell a scientific organization to stop using words like science-based and evidence-based, but instead as the article says use a phrase like "The CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes? Why exactly, just because you think the other side has done it to you?

I wouldn't call words like science-based or evidence-based paltry in the realm of science. It would be like if someone told you as a Christian "You can't use the words scripture, Bible, God's Word anymore."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, you think it's a reasonable for the administration to tell a scientific organization to stop using words like science-based and evidence-based, but instead as the article says use a phrase like "The CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes? Why exactly, just because you think the other side has done it to you?

Whenever the post begins with "So you think that..." it's a good bet that what follows is wht the poster wants the other person to have said, not what he did think or did say.

In this case, my position was and is that the "over the top" ranting about seven words in the most recent case is farcical, considering that all manner of words have been banned in recent years by other governmental units and agencies, dozens and dozens of them, with, of course, replacement words and terms given, such as elgeebeeteecue, migrant, people of color, zer, undocumented, Native American, and otherly abled.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whenever the post begins with "So you think that..." it's a good bet that what follows is wht the poster wants the other person to have said, not what he did think or did say.

Well, it was a bad bet in this case.

In this case, my position was and is that the "over the top" ranting about seven words in the most recent case is farcical, considering that all manner of words have been banned in recent years by other governmental units and agencies, dozens and dozens of them, with, of course, replacement words and terms given, such as elgeebeeteecue, migrant, people of color, zer, undocumented, Native American, and otherly abled.

Many of the words that been banned or gone out of use in the past and replaced with the words you mention is due to the fact that the words or offensive, inaccurate, or of out-of-date about those it was talking about. That is not the case in this instance for any of those words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely trying to find instances where the "government" banned the phrase "Merry Christmas"

How the ‘War on Christmas’ Controversy Was Created
Obama Bans "Merry Christmas" from VA?

As near as I can tell, the government didn't so much ban Merry Christmas so much as the government simply required that no religion be given preferential treatment and that if you all "Christmas" then you have to allow representations of other religious holidays as well. It seems that many Christians feel that is an "Attack on Christianity"...

No snark, do you have any links for when the government banned "Merry Christmas"???

Having worked in the Government, I don't really remember it as being a ban on Christmas so much as simply a ban on the government sponsoring or favoring any religion.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely trying to find instances where the "government" banned the phrase "Merry Christmas"

As near as I can tell, the government didn't so much ban Merry Christmas so much as the government simply required that no religion be given preferential treatment and that if you all "Christmas" then you have to allow representations of other religious holidays as well. It seems that many Christians feel that is an "Attack on Christianity"...

No snark, do you have any links for when the government banned "Merry Christmas"???

Having worked in the Government, I don't really remember it as being a ban on Christmas so much as simply a ban on the government sponsoring or favoring any religion.
Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Catholics insist requiring priests be single is not forbidding them to marry.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many of the words that been banned or gone out of use in the past and replaced with the words you mention is due to the fact that the words or offensive, inaccurate, or of out-of-date about those it was talking about. That is not the case in this instance for any of those words.
Yes, it was. This nothingburger of a make-believe outrage turns entirely on it being associated with the Trump administration.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I was not trying to be snarky either. That was the only words/phrase that I can recall anyone complaining about to any extent. The fact that the President himself said that “Merry Christmas” will be back in the stores this year reminded me.

So no, I could find no proof that Obama or the government banned “Merry Christmas” other than the current administration saying Obama did.

Thank you, Mr. Trump for bringing 'Merry Christmas' back to the White House

Trump: We're saying 'Merry Christmas' again - CNN Video

Upvote 0