Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The CBS Evening News just reported that the suicide rate in the U.S. has hit a 50 year high. I knew that the suicide rate had been climbing in recent years, but I did not know how much. I have felt for a long time that one of the main reasons for this disturbing increase is that people do not fear God much anymore and the possibility of punishment after death. By the way, the last statement comes from someone who is not overly big on the subject of God's wrath and judgment, but it seems to me that the pendulum has swung too far in ignoring the possibility of God's punishment, especially among Christians.

• Prayers
Reactions: danbuter

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm!
or that there is something demeaning and toxic about our western civilization society . Or we’re poisoning ourselves with some of the chemicals we put on our food and in our local environments . I doubt if religion is the only cause and imho it might not be a major one

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The CBS Evening News just reported that the suicide rate in the U.S. has hit a 50 year high. I knew that the suicide rate had been climbing in recent years, but I did not know how much. I have felt for a long time that one of the main reasons for this disturbing increase is that people do not fear God much anymore and the possibility of punishment after death. By the way, the last statement comes from someone who is not overly big on the subject of God's wrath and judgment, but it seems to me that the pendulum has swung too far in ignoring the possibility of God's punishment, especially among Christians.

Hello Basil,

I think telling a suicidal person about divine punishment would more than likely make them worse.

Modern society is loosing some qualities, empathy, compassion, community. Like the good samaritan we must be prepared to step in and help someone who can do nothing for us in return. And someone we would not, culturally speaking, wish to help. This is culturally counter-intuitive, but must be done in light of Luke 14:14.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm!
or that there is something demeaning and toxic about our western civilization society . Or we’re poisoning ourselves with some of the chemicals we put on our food and in our local environments . I doubt if religion is the only cause and imho it might not be a major one
I would not think the poison in the food would lead people to that much of an increase in taking their own lives. Hopelessness.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Nothing to believe in, hopelessness leading to despair. If people would follow Jesus' teachings, they would be able to overcome all that leads to these things.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would not think the poison in the food would lead people to that much of an increase in taking their own lives. Hopelessness.
Severe health problems can lead to suicide as can mental illness. Both can be caused by environmental toxins

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Severe health problems can lead to suicide as can mental illness. Both can be caused by environmental toxins
but that alone is not going to do it. In other words, most of the time poison is not alone going to do it.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but that alone is not going to do it. In other words, most of the time poison is not alone going to do it.
. I don’t believe that a lack of religion is a major cause of suicide either . If you’ve ever spoken to one of the more intelligent atheists, they tend to be mentally healthy. Frankly I think that it’s a shame that fundamentalist American Christianity tends to be anti science and sexist. Both of which drove me away from religion when I was younger because neither was going to be good for my mental health as a teen and as a young woman. I’m also old enough to remember when racism was a mainstay of the fundies as well. Since I’m Black that wasn’t good for me either . I had a gay friend in high school (during the early 70s )and realizing that someone I liked almost got murdered just because he was gay and that was a turn off as well. To be honest I felt his sex life was none of my business as it didn’t involve me. For a very long time I thought that God was pretty toxic if all of these beliefs were acceptable to him. But what I felt eventually was very loving which is why I’m not a atheist now . I still think all of these behaviors are toxic, abusive and mentally damaging . And religion is not an unalloyed blessing. Marx was correct when he described it as an opiate of the people. I don’t think the atheism is a major cause of the rise in suicides

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This problem is not a simple one. The solution is simple though. Jesus is the answer for the world today. Above him there is no other, Jesus is the way. Religion doesn't save people. Jesus does.

But in order to be saved people must recognize they are sinners and need Jesus. And that's the gospel. Jesus always reached those who were in a bad place in life. He also said that the way in narrow and few would find it.

As a societal problem there is much to discuss. People are no longer mentally strong. We are are a society that does everything we can to protect people. We have helecopter parents that save the kids or come to their rescue all the time. We have become a society that pushes victimhood. We are a society that wants rescue from all our ills. Safety nets for everything. We no longer teach independence and self sufficiency. We coddle and rescue. This all makes it very difficult for people when hard times come. Pull yourself up by your bootsraps is no longer a way of thinking. It's all now, poor me or poor you.

Life is hard. Jesus said in this world you will have tribulation. He said be if good cheer I have overcome the world. Depression is a real thing, a chemical imbalance in the brain. A mental illness that needs medicine. But there are a lot of peopl that are depressed, not because of an illness but because of tribulation or perceived tribulation and can't handle it. It's in the church as well. Jesus told us to be of good cheer, he has overcome. I know, I've been through it myself. I have been very depressed. I know how difficult it can be. But I have learned to be of good cheer. I came from a generation of pulling myself up by my bootstraps. So I've done it. It wasn't easy and it still isn't. I don't have it mastered, but I know it works.

That's my soapbox. I'm getting down now.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have experienced suicide in my immediate family and disagree with some of the comments on this thread. Suicide is not the "ultimate" sin. A person suicidal is in deep depression, confused, seeking relief from either physical pain or emotional and mental pain. As well, I do not believe a suicidal person does not fear God and punishment. Mental illness IMHO is one of the major causes of suicide.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have experienced suicide in my immediate family and disagree with some of the comments on this thread. Suicide is not the "ultimate" sin. A person suicidal is in deep depression, confused, seeking relief from either physical pain or emotional and mental pain. As well, I do not believe a suicidal person does not fear God and punishment. Mental illness IMHO is one of the major causes of suicide.

Hello Friend. Agree. I have a relative, a Christian, who struggles with mental illness. Sadly he says that many other Christians do not understand mental illness and often make him worse. It's not as simple as flipping a switch or saying something bombastic to make them better. Mental illness can be just as debilitating as physical illness.

We don't tell someone with a broken leg just to shake the break off. A broken mind also needs to heal.

Love, care, prayer and patience are all needed. We need to stand with brothers and sisters who are suffering from mental illness. God Bless :)

• Winner
Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
CBS News: Suicide Rate at a 50 Year High
Hmm!
It is also interesting that the rate of drug overdoses is at record highs. Could there be a correlation between them?
How many of the deaths can be attributed to being accidental, suicide, foul play etc.........

Drug Overdose Deaths In The U.S. Hit Record High [Infographic]

America's drug crisis is getting worse.
According to newly published figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 70,237 deaths from drug overdoses across the United States last year, a record high.
Between 2016 and 2017, the overall rate of overdose deaths increased 9.6% while the death rate from synthetic opioids such as fentanyl grew by a shocking 45%.
In 1999, the age-adjusted rate of drug overdose deaths in the U.S. was 6.1 per 100,000 people and that soared to 21.7 in 2017.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Friend. Agree. I have a relative, a Christian, who struggles with mental illness. Sadly he says that many other Christians do not understand mental illness and often make him worse. It's not as simple as flipping a switch or saying something bombastic to make them better. Mental illness can be just as debilitating as physical illness.

We don't tell someone with a broken leg just to shake the break off. A broken mind also needs to heal.

Love, care, prayer and patience are all needed. We need to stand with brothers and sisters who are suffering from mental illness. God Bless :)

Mental illness in America needs to be addressed more fervently in my book. In a way, it can be worse than a physical illness.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
CBS News: Suicide Rate at a 50 Year High

It is also interesting that the rate of drug overdoses is at record highs. Could there be a correlation between them?
How many of the deaths can be attributed to being accidental, suicide, foul play etc.........

America's drug crisis is getting worse.
According to newly published figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 70,237 deaths from drug overdoses across the United States last year, a record high.
Between 2016 and 2017, the overall rate of overdose deaths increased 9.6% while the death rate from synthetic opioids such as fentanyl grew by a shocking 45%.
In 1999, the age-adjusted rate of drug overdose deaths in the U.S. was 6.1 per 100,000 people and that soared to 21.7 in 2017.

My step daughter was not on drugs. She was bipolar. There were other aggravating factors but mental illness was the root cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums