Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I heard a preacher say that if you do not “know “ that you are saved you indeed are “not” saved.that is because you are basing your salvation on a lie,namely your ability to stay saved by your behavior.behavier can change.the Blood of Christ never changes. That is the as surance of our salvation. Now if you will excuse me ,I have a busy day of sinning to attend to David sure got away with his murderand adultery didn’t he? Think I’ll go out and do the same. On a related note.....how’s the “sins of omission “ going? Nobody seems to want to discuss that . Ever.

No, they don't. And we know from Scripture that if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. Knowing we are sinners and that God cleanses us from all unrighteousness when we turn to Him in faith, trusting in what Christ Jesus did to justify the "ungodly", is our hope. For we are all indeed sinful and unclean, in absolute need of a Saviour. Our only hope is Christ.

No one has lived a perfect, sinless life, except Jesus Christ. That is why salvation is in Him alone. We are utterly unable to save ourselves.

The problem is that many simply do not take sin seriously enough. They don't take the Law, God's righteous and Holy standard of absolute perfection, seriously enough.

And those who are looking to their own lifestyle either become prideful or overcome with despair, often a combination of both. (I know this personally). We have not one single reason or any basis whatsoever to "boast" in ourselves or anyone other than Christ. Such an unfathomable and priceless sacrifice was made for us by Christ, how arrogant for us to think it not enough.

The Law makes us guilty, it is a "school master" that "stops our mouths" before God. Our only hope is the only One who has perfectly fulfilled it, Jesus Christ.

God bless.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Putting your faith and trust in Jesus is a condition placed on salvation. We also believe that avoiding specific sins mentioned in the NT (or sincerely repenting and asking for forgiveness when one does them) is a second condition.

Anything that is not from faith is sin...which is ONE condition...anything else is unbelief...Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

What is the reward? The mystery revealed...at first dimly...the image in the mirror...to KNOW as we have always been known.

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, they don't. And we know from Scripture that if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. Knowing we are sinners and that God cleanses us from all unrighteousness when we turn to Him in faith, trusting in what Christ Jesus did to justify the "ungodly", is our hope. For we are all indeed sinful and unclean, in absolute need of a Saviour. Our only hope is Christ.

No one has lived a perfect, sinless life, except Jesus Christ. That is why salvation is in Him alone. We are utterly unable to save ourselves.

The problem is that many simply do not take sin seriously enough. They don't take the Law, God's righteous and Holy standard of absolute perfection, seriously enough.

And those who are looking to their own lifestyle either become prideful or overcome with despair, often a combination of both. (I know this personally). We have not one single reason or any basis whatsoever to "boast" in ourselves or anyone other than Christ. Such an unfathomable and priceless sacrifice was made for us by Christ, how arrogant for us to think it not enough.

The Law makes us guilty, it is a "school master" that "stops our mouths" before God. Our only hope is the only One who has perfectly fulfilled it, Jesus Christ.

God bless.

Do you have any idea how grateful I am for you and Doug. May God continue to bless you both!

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do you have any idea how grateful I am for you and Doug. May God continue to bless you both!

May God continue to bless you also. And thank you for starting this thread and sharing that video. It is indeed a blessing to encourage one another in the faith!

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Who said anything about them "not applying"?

As I've said before, we've been over this. We don't see "trust" the same way.

I didn't say not to ask God for forgiveness, now did I? Nor did I say we shouldn't try our best to refrain from sinning. Such is our "good and reasonable service." The point is, we know from Scripture, that our "righteous deeds are as filthy rags" and cannot and will not save us. We are saved by the obedience of One, Jesus Christ.

If we are looking to ourselves even a tiny bit to be saved, then we are indeed "prideful", in that we have made salvation a matter of our own obedience and good works, and not Christ and His finished work, the one time and all sufficient sacrifice He made for the sins of the world. As it is written, "let him who boasts, boast only in the Lord."

Apparently it's not easy, as many cannot simply "rest" in Christ, our Sabbath, but instead "go about to establish their own righteousness." It does seem natural to mankind that we must do good to receive salvation, but Scripture is abundantly clear, salvation is a gift, not a reward for the good things we have done.

Anyone whose reaction to the Gospel is some form of "thank you Jesus for giving me freedom to go murder, rape and steal all I want", does not understand that Gospel at all. And no one who truly does understand it and receives God's gift of salvation by grace through faith, just wants to go on loving their sin. So, that suggestion is absurd. When we understand the price Jesus Christ paid for us, we will hate the sin He died to save us from. I have yet to hear anyone who is truly resting in Christ's finished work say that they love sin and just want to go around doing as much evil as they possibly can.

Absolutely not. So we had better be sure we don't trample the Son of God underfoot and consider His blood an "unclean thing." (Insufficient to save).

You don't get to say whether or not someone is living a "blatantly sinful" life. How do you know they aren't growing in God's grace and that He isn't working with them in their "flesh"? Can you see a person's heart as God can? We only see outward behaviour. Another thing to remember is that if you have sinned, even once, since being saved, you are no better than they are. Have you been unjustly angry with someone? Have you given into fear and worry? Have you envied anyone? Have you been lazy and under productive? Have you failed to help someone in need? We all fall short of the glory of God, and in our flesh dwells no good thing. The flesh wars against the Spirit.

No true believer ever wants to do such things. They will hate sin, but they will still realize that their flesh "serves the law of sin." (Romans 7)

And remember, Jesus made it clear that hate is murder and lust is adultery. That's how High God's standards for absolute righteousness are. He who offends in one point, offends in all.

No one has lived a perfect, sinless, blameless life, but Christ Jesus.

There is no longer any condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, who have passed from death to life, been born again and sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. Satan's lie is "hath God really said?" Only Satan would want anyone to doubt their salvation, not God.

We can trust that Jesus does not fail and that He is able to save "to the uttermost" all who believe. He is our Great High Priest and Intercessor, we can "rest" in Him.

God bless.
You can’t duck the question by stating “we don’t see trust in the same way”.

Is trusting in Jesus something that a person has to do in order to be saved, or can a person be saved without trusting in Jesus?

You know very well that making a free will choice to trust in Jesus is a condition for one’s salvation. When you trust in Jesus and satisfy that condition you do not consider it boasting “even a little” even though it is a condition for salvation and something that you did so that you could be saved.

When other people assert a different condition (which is also found in the Bible) all of a sudden they are boasting and trying to earn their way into Heaven.

That is hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I struggle with sin everyday....I think I explained that like Paul , idon’T “want to sin” but I “ do sin” because I, just like everybody still have an old nature that fights against my new nature.if we continue to LIVE By FAITH the new man will win.grace covers us as this process takes place
You are the one to claim that you don’t have a problem with sin.."it took you thirty years,but you conquered it—I am willing to give Jesus All the credit for my salvation.the blood alone .fooling oneself that he is living a life of sinless perfection —ThAt is the delusion that will send struggling people to Hell......God’s grace and our faith...still the formula that saves....btw....how’s it going with those sins of omission? You have not addressed that yet. Why not?

I didn't conquer sin. I surrendered to God and told Him I was powerless to conquer it as many times as I had tried and failed. Does that sound like boasting to you??? When I finally repented and wanted Him to scrub me clean, I was asking for the wrong reason. It wasn't for HIM, it was to get free to replace one thing with another. That was when He spoke to me for the first time in my life, and told me what I was doing wrong. I was so shocked, but at the same time thrilled that I repented again for the right reason. I had just fallen in love with God! He accepted my repentance, because this time it was true. He then filled me to overflowing with His Holy Spirit; I felt it from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I felt I was floating. And from that point on all I care about is my relationship with God, who has never since stopped talking to me and leading me. He is my true Husband, and I will never betray Him with sin of any kind. Why? Because He is in me, giving me the power through Him to stay true. That is "walking in the light." Now I can do all things through Christ who STRENGTHENS me. It is not that I conquered sin; Christ conquered sin, and He came into me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I must have missed that post where you answered “no”....sorry thank you for your honesty.....not trying to badger you , but Paul said if you added to his Gospel
,you were perverting it ,he said to those who actually preached this perverted Gospel thAt they were damned...who were these people .?who are these people according to your studies and your conversations with God?

You missed the "condition." IF

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

You speak of context, well the context of those verses is that Paul is writing to already saved believers. He is reminding them that in Christ they are dead to sin. He is not telling them they can lose their salvation.

Really? We can lose a gift, freely given and unearned? If we couldn't do enough good or stop doing enough evil to earn salvation in the first place, how do we do enough good and stop doing enough evil to keep salvation?

What you're really saying is that salvation is a free gift, but after you receive it you had better behave well enough to keep it. (That is works based salvation).

Scripture doesn't agree. Verse after verse confirms that salvation is a gift, entirely unearned or unmerited by us, and that our salvation is by the power of God and through the death of One, Jesus Christ, the only One who has lived a blameless life. (Therefore the only One Who can save.) It is His precious blood that washes away our sin and makes us clean, not our good behaviour or righteous lifestyle.

Also, how can we who are "born again" by the power of God be "unborn"? You cannot even cause yourself to be physically unborn, how much less spiritually? You may also want to consider what Scripture says regarding our being "sealed" by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption, and how even when we are faithless, he abides faithful and cannot deny Himself.

Also, why would we need a Great High Priest and Intercessor if we are never to make another mistake? Scripture is clear that Jesus is that for us, always interceding on our behalf once we are saved and "in" Him.

There are no "conditions" placed on salvation. It is a gift, entirely undeserved, bought with the precious blood of Christ.

To say there are conditions is to tell people they must somehow earn or merit their salvation, which is to add "works" and therefore cancel grace.

If works are added, then grace is no more grace. This is why the cross is an "offense", because it removes all grounds for boasting in ourselves. It's either Christ's sacrifice or nothing. We do not add our righteous works, which are as "filthy rags", to His once for all and all sufficient sacrifice for sin.

False assurance in what? False assurance in who? Christ Jesus?

The real "false assurance" is telling people they had better look to their own behaviour and lifestyle to be saved. We look only to Christ. (Remember when Peter walked on water?)

On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand as the hymn goes, and it's true. We dare not stand on anything or anyone else. He alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life. We can know and trust that He did accomplish what He came to do. He did not fail.

And Scripture assures us that nothing can separate us from the love of God, and He will never leave us or forsake us. Jesus never fails.

God bless.

Read Romans 6 again, but without the false premise that you can do as you like carnally and still be saved. Paul is spelling out the "condition" - don't make sin your master. Also in 1 Cor. 15, Paul is again saying there is a condition; all that he has taught them.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
May God continue to bless you also. And thank you for starting this thread and sharing that video. It is indeed a blessing to encourage one another in the faith!

Will return to debate later. ...the video was the whole point of this thread...it seems to have got lost in the shuffle....has everybody seen it?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read Romans 6 again, but without the false premise that you can do as you like carnally and still be saved. Paul is spelling out the "condition" - don't make sin your master. Also in 1 Cor. 15, Paul is again saying there is a condition; all that he has taught them.

Talk about “carnal”. The guy who was intimate with his stepmother? Was he saved? He was chastised! that is how God handles sin in the life of the Believer.If you fire a rocket to the moon and it gets off course do we just let it crash? No....we guide and correct it until it gets back to where it should be. Our journey in the C hristian walk is kinda like this. Does this make any sense? Comments welcome

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You missed the "condition." IF

Of course there is an “If” in there.do we have to state the obvious? IF we believe Paul’s Gospel we are saved...IF we reject it we are lost.."..Just like you would say “IF we keep the law,etc....

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I'm not "ducking" anything. We've been over this before, as you know.

Is trusting in Jesus something that a person has to do in order to be saved, or can a person be saved without trusting in Jesus?

As I said, I have answered you in regard to this question before. You didn't agree with me then, why would I go through that explanation again?

You should take Scripture for what it says in any case. Jesus is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life", and no one comes to the Father but by Him.

You know very well that making a free will choice to trust in Jesus is a condition for one’s salvation.

I know very well Who saved me, and it isn't me or the result of any of my "righteous works."

When you trust in Jesus and satisfy that condition you do not consider it boasting “even a little” even though it is a condition for salvation and something that you did so that you could be saved.

Nope, I do not wish to boast "even a little" in myself or anything I've done. All glory, praise and honour to God alone.

When other people assert a different condition (which is also found in the Bible) all of a sudden they are boasting and trying to earn their way into Heaven.

That is hypocrisy.

There are no conditions placed on salvation. Scripture is absolutely clear. Salvation is a gift, entirely unearned or unmerited by us sinners, bought and paid for by the precious blood of Jesus Christ. And no one can ever trust in Christ too much. He never fails.

God bless.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Will return to debate later. ...the video was the whole point of this thread...it seems to have got lost in the shuffle....has everybody seen it?

I have, and I listened to it again. Always a blessing to hear the clear Gospel of our salvation.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Paul was writing to believers already saved to remind them that sin is no longer their master, as it is not the master of anyone who has been born again and made a "new creation" in Christ. We have indeed then "died to sin", passed from death to life and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. The wrath of God is no longer upon us, not being appointed to wrath, and there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

Our obedience to the Law and our good behaviour does not and cannot earn us our salvation. If it could, then Christ did not need to die and shed His precious blood. Anyone who believes we must earn our salvation even in part is actually saying they don't believe Christ's sacrifice is sufficient to save.

As for your reference to being "carnal", you should read past Romans 6 and continue to Romans 7 & 8 (and the rest of the Epistle). It is supposed to be a letter read in it's entirety after all, and Romans actually makes it absolutely clear that we do not and cannot behave our way to salvation.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't conquer sin. I surrendered to God and told Him I was powerless to conquer it as many times as I had tried and failed. Does that sound like boasting to you??? When I finally repented and wanted Him to scrub me clean, I was asking for the wrong reason. It wasn't for HIM, it was to get free to replace one thing with another. That was when He spoke to me for the first time in my life, and told me what I was doing wrong. I was so shocked, but at the same time thrilled that I repented again for the right reason. I had just fallen in love with God! He accepted my repentance, because this time it was true. He then filled me to overflowing with His Holy Spirit; I felt it from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I felt I was floating. And from that point on all I care about is my relationship with God, who has never since stopped talking to me and leading me. He is my true Husband, and I will never betray Him with sin of any kind. Why? Because He is in me, giving me the power through Him to stay true. That is "walking in the light." Now I can do all things through Christ who STRENGTHENS me. It is not that I conquered sin; Christ conquered sin, and He came into me.

Hate to rain on anybody’s parade,but how are we doing with the book of James....you know those inconvenient verses about sins of omission....I have yet to hear ONE person address these sins......anybody? How about it? The floor is yours.......is that the sound of crickets I hear?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe ALL of Paul's writings. He said those in Christ are dead to sin, but if we choose to sin, the wages of sin is death. Therefore, even though there are verses that say we are saved, it can be undone by our free choice and be as a dog going back to his own vomit.
Jesus Christ DIED to pay OUR sin debt.
If God says we have to die (that is our spirit) then God would be unjust. He will not demand that sin be paid for twice.
This fleshly body will still die, because it has not been redeemed yet,
The reason why some people recognize the former (trust) as a condition but reject the latter (proper conduct) is because with the first it is easy to profess one’s love and trust of Jesus and maintain a sense of security, while sin speaks for itself and cannot be denied. So these sins such as adultery, murder, rape, theft, etc. which are an obvious rejection of Jesus’s love and lordship over one’s life, cannot have anything to do with one’s salvation, and one can then go on blissfully believing that he can do these things “because I really love the Lord in my heart.”
The reason why some people accept that we need good behavior is because it is satisfying to our flesh to say that we have contributed to our salvation.
Apparently it's not easy, as many cannot simply "rest" in Christ, our Sabbath, but instead "go about to establish their own righteousness." It does seem natural to mankind that we must do good to receive salvation, but Scripture is abundantly clear, salvation is a gift, not a reward for the good things we have done.
Hallelujah!!!!

You know very well that making a free will choice to trust in Jesus is a condition for one’s salvation. When you trust in Jesus and satisfy that condition you do not consider it boasting “even a little” even though it is a condition for salvation and something that you did so that you could be saved.

That is hypocrisy.
If someone is drowning and they call out for help (Romans 10:13) and someone comes to rescue them, that someone will not say, "I am here, now swim for the shore".
No, the person who is doing the rescuing says, "Trust me, I got you, now stop trying to save yourself".

So because you got this great revelation of God's love and living sinless perfection in, this now becomes the bare minimum for anyone else to be saved?
If that is true, then the Apostle Peter was not saved. See Galatians 2:11-14
The Apostle Paul was not saved. In Acts 21, a prophesy was given about Paul and he ignored it.
In Acts 23 Paul reviled the High Priest. You may say he did it out of ignorance, but if that is the case, why was he not walking in the Spirit? Galatians 5:16

• Agree
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If God says we have to die (that is our spirit) then God would be unjust. He will not demand that sin be paid for twice.
This fleshly body will still die, because it has not been redeemed yet,

The reason why some people accept that we need good behavior is because it is satisfying to our flesh to say that we have contributed to our salvation.
Hallelujah!!!!

If someone is drowning and they call out for help (Romans 10:13) and someone comes to rescue them, that someone will not say, "I am here, now swim for the shore".
No, the person who is doing the rescuing says, "Trust me, I got you, now stop trying to save yourself".

So because you got this great revelation of God's love and living sinless perfection in, this now becomes the bare minimum for anyone else to be saved?
If that is true, then the Apostle Peter was not saved. See Galatians 2:11-14
The Apostle Paul was not saved. In Acts 21, a prophesy was given about Paul and he ignored it.
In Acts 23 Paul reviled the High Priest. You may say he did it out of ignorance, but if that is the case, why was he not walking in the Spirit? Galatians 5:16

Don't look at the Apostle Paul; are YOU saved? I can't answer that, but why is it you want to try to bring everyone, including Paul, down to your level?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of this Scriptural verse by Augustus Toplady:

"If thou hast my discharge procured,
And freely in my room endured
The whole of wrath divine;
Payment God cannot twice demand,
First at my bleeding Surety's hand,
And then again at mine."

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't look at the Apostle Paul; are YOU saved? I can't answer that, but why is it you want to try to bring everyone, including Paul, down to your level?
You said many times that we must live sinless lives and if we sin once we have lost our salvation.
So I showed you two people in the Bible that were clearly saved, yet they sinned.
I, that is my flesh, sin every day,.
But, the real me, that is my spirit who is one with God (1 Corinthians 6:17) never sins.
Yes, I am most definitely saved.
The Word of God says that if I believe on Him, I have eternal life (1 John 5:13)

• Winner
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Just a question, what "level" are you referring to here?

Upvote 0