Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "willful sin" is a rejection of the Gospel, a rejection of Christ and His one time and all sufficient sacrifice for sin.

10 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised)

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? - Hebrews 10:1-29

The "willful sin" is to reject Christ and His one time sacrifice, the only sacrifice for sin. To count "the blood of the covenant" (Christ's blood) an "unclean thing". To say it cannot save and cleanse us from sin.

In context, it is clear that these verses do not
say we had better never mess up or sin ever again once we're saved. What is being taught here is that the Law and animal sacrifice was a shadow of Christ, and that if one rejects Christ, there is no more sacrifice for sin. Jesus is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
Yes, willful sin is to reject Truth/the Gospel/Christ...anything not from faith.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I gave you the clues for sources, look them up. You're going to believe what you want anyway. I just don't believe the name is a break-down of the Greek. It certainly wasn't at the time, so it is implausible.
I did look up "Eusebius Nicolas" and I didn't find anything like what you are claiming. This is all I have found.
There were other webpages, but they say the same as this.

NPNF2-01. Eusebius Pamphilius: Church History, Life of Constantine, Oration in Praise of Constantine

842 They boasted that the author of their sect was Nicolaus, one of the deacons who, with Stephen, were appointed by the apostles for the purpose of ministering to the poor.843 Clement of Alexandria, in the third book of his Stromata, relates the following things concerning him.844

2. “They say that he had a beautiful wife, and after the ascension of the Saviour, being accused by the apostles of jealousy, he led her into their midst and gave permission to any one that wished to marry her. For they say that this was in accord with that saying of his, that one ought to abuse the flesh. And those that have followed his heresy, imitating blindly and foolishly that which was done and said, commit fornication without shame.

3. But I understand that Nicolaus had to do with no other woman than her to whom he was married, and that, so far as his children are concerned, his daughters continued in a state of virginity until old age, and his son remained uncorrupt. If this is so, when he brought his wife, whom he jealously loved, into the midst of the apostles, he was evidently renouncing his passion; and when he used the expression, ‘to abuse the flesh,’ he was inculcating self-control in the face of those pleasures that are eagerly pursued. For I suppose that, in accordance with the command of the Saviour, he did not wish to serve two masters, pleasure and the Lord.845

4. But they say that Matthias also taught in the same manner that we ought to fight against and abuse the flesh, and not give way to it for the sake of pleasure, but strengthen the soul by faith and knowledge.”846 So much concerning those who then attempted to pervert the truth, but in less time than it has taken to tell it became entirely extinct.

« Prev
Next »

NPNF2-01. Eusebius Pamphilius: Church History, Life of Constantine, Oration in Praise of Constantine

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Text without context is error.....if you want the true meanings of some of these scary verses from Hebrews....please google this. You tube Renee Roland willful sin. It will ease your mind if true. Only you can decide that
Anything that is not in faith is sin...without faith it is impossible to please God. If one is walking to the fullest of their faith they have been given/possess...they do well and God gives increase. Stepping outside of that brings about some things...like a pit/ditch with serpents that bite.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I would bet my bottom dollar that that is impossible for a Believer....for “ religios “ people I,m sure it happens all the time....it does not affect the true Body of Christ...these “ haters” were never in that Body.....do you have any examples of these types....thanks
One year from now we may all be referring to you as one of those people “who was never really saved in the first place.” In the meantime, I suggest that you strike a blow to your body and make it your slave, so that after you have posted on Christian Forums, you yourself will not be disqualified.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One year from now we may all be referring to you as one of those people “who was never really saved in the first place.” In the meantime, I suggest that you strike a blow to your body and make it your slave, so that after you have posted on Christian Forums, you yourself will not be disqualified.
What was Paul saying he might be disqualified from? 1 Corinthians 9;27

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

My Lord! SuCh vitriol..if you are representative of the people in here to “ be disqualified” would be a blessing! You should think about changing your name .something like “ JudgeB” .

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
My Lord! SuCh vitriol..if you are representative of the people in here to “ be disqualified” would be a blessing! You should think about changing your name .something like “ JudgeB” .
JudgeB. Cute. I like it.

But notice that ever so critical word in my statement: "may".

I wouldn't take it so personally pal. You, me, and anyone else in this forum is capable of falling. I have fallen myself, and it will come as no surprise if I fall again. If and when that happens, let's just hope and pray that my prayer will be "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Do as you wish, but I wouldn't swear on a Christian site if you want to be taken seriously.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do as you wish, but I wouldn't swear on a Christian site if you want to be taken seriously.

Wonder what displease God the most—- my “swearing” or you inferring that Paul was ignorant or maybe even lying when he claimed the Gospel alone had the power to save.you flat-out denied it. One guy in here desired that Paul’s Gospel “burn in Hell”...... are you in that camp? I hope not

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Wonder what displease God the most—- my “swearing” or you inferring that Paul was ignorant or maybe even lying when he claimed the Gospel alone had the power to save.you flat-out denied it.

I believe ALL of Paul's writings. He said those in Christ are dead to sin, but if we choose to sin, the wages of sin is death. Therefore, even though there are verses that say we are saved, it can be undone by our free choice and be as a dog going back to his own vomit.

You need to look for the "conditions" of the verses you are cherry picking.

Check out all the times the word "if" shows up. It just might be before a condition. And even though you, yourself, don't have a problem with sin, you may be leading those who still do have a problem with sin to hell with false assurance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe ALL of Paul's writings. He said those in Christ are dead to sin, but if we choose to sin, the wages of sin is death. Therefore, even though there are verses that say we are saved, it can be undone by our free choice and be as a dog going back to his own vomit.

Check out all the times the word "if" shows up. It just might be before a condition. And even though you, yourself, don't have a problem with sin, you may be leading those who still do have a problem with sin to hell with false assurance.

I struggle with sin everyday....I think I explained that like Paul , idon’T “want to sin” but I “ do sin” because I, just like everybody still have an old nature that fights against my new nature.if we continue to LIVE By FAITH the new man will win.grace covers us as this process takes place
You are the one to claim that you don’t have a problem with sin.."it took you thirty years,but you conquered it—I am willing to give Jesus All the credit for my salvation.the blood alone .fooling oneself that he is living a life of sinless perfection —ThAt is the delusion that will send struggling people to Hell......God’s grace and our faith...still the formula that saves....btw....how’s it going with those sins of omission? You have not addressed that yet. Why not?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JudgeB. Cute. I like it.

But notice that ever so critical word in my statement: "may".

I wouldn't take it so personally pal. You, me, and anyone else in this forum is capable of falling. I have fallen myself, and it will come as no surprise if I fall again. If and when that happens, let's just hope and pray that my prayer will be "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner."

The name JudgeB was not meant to be cute and if you lik e it so much why don’t you change it? I take personal posts personally , “ pal “ . I “fall” everyday...like Paul I don't “hold back the grace of God”......I need it too much .your quote “Lord, have mercy on me a sinner” are perhaps the wisest words a person can utter—-said with sincerity,God, as promised WILL show mercy and that person will be saved.in the old testiment,after all the laws ,after all the sacrifices,,after all the punishments God said all He was really looking for was a “ contrite heart”. He has not changed.those with this type of attitude—this repentant attitude and turn to Jesus for Salvation is enough to save.we may disagree on much,but I can see you have the thing that God is looking for....the contrite heart....the MUST thing that is necessary for Salvation.Pauls Gospel contains this attitude.that and faith in Jesus is all anyone needs. God bless

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe ALL of Paul's writings. He said those in Christ are dead to sin, but if we choose to sin, the wages of sin is death.

20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

You speak of context, well the context of those verses is that Paul is writing to already saved believers. He is reminding them that in Christ they are dead to sin. He is not telling them they can lose their salvation.

Therefore, even though there are verses that say we are saved, it can be undone by our free choice and be as a dog going back to his own vomit.

Really? We can lose a gift, freely given and unearned? If we couldn't do enough good or stop doing enough evil to earn salvation in the first place, how do we do enough good and stop doing enough evil to keep salvation?

What you're really saying is that salvation is a free gift, but after you receive it you had better behave well enough to keep it. (That is works based salvation).

Scripture doesn't agree. Verse after verse confirms that salvation is a gift, entirely unearned or unmerited by us, and that our salvation is by the power of God and through the death of One, Jesus Christ, the only One who has lived a blameless life. (Therefore the only One Who can save.) It is His precious blood that washes away our sin and makes us clean, not our good behaviour or righteous lifestyle.

Also, how can we who are "born again" by the power of God be "unborn"? You cannot even cause yourself to be physically unborn, how much less spiritually? You may also want to consider what Scripture says regarding our being "sealed" by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption, and how even when we are faithless, he abides faithful and cannot deny Himself.

Also, why would we need a Great High Priest and Intercessor if we are never to make another mistake? Scripture is clear that Jesus is that for us, always interceding on our behalf once we are saved and "in" Him.

There are no "conditions" placed on salvation. It is a gift, entirely undeserved, bought with the precious blood of Christ.

To say there are conditions is to tell people they must somehow earn or merit their salvation, which is to add "works" and therefore cancel grace.

If works are added, then grace is no more grace. This is why the cross is an "offense", because it removes all grounds for boasting in ourselves. It's either Christ's sacrifice or nothing. We do not add our righteous works, which are as "filthy rags", to His once for all and all sufficient sacrifice for sin.

False assurance in what? False assurance in who? Christ Jesus?

The real "false assurance" is telling people they had better look to their own behaviour and lifestyle to be saved. We look only to Christ. (Remember when Peter walked on water?)

On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand as the hymn goes, and it's true. We dare not stand on anything or anyone else. He alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life. We can know and trust that He did accomplish what He came to do. He did not fail.

And Scripture assures us that nothing can separate us from the love of God, and He will never leave us or forsake us. Jesus never fails.

God bless.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

You speak of context, well the context of those verses is that Paul is writing to already saved believers. He is reminding them that in Christ they are dead to sin. He is not telling them they can lose their salvation.

Really? We can lose a gift, freely given and unearned? If we couldn't do enough good or stop doing enough evil to earn salvation in the first place, how do we do enough good and stop doing enough evil to keep salvation?

What you're really saying is that salvation is a free gift, but after you receive it you had better behave well enough to keep it. (That is works based salvation).

Scripture doesn't agree. Verse after verse confirms that salvation is a gift, entirely unearned or unmerited by us, and that our salvation is by the power of God and through the death of One, Jesus Christ, the only One who has lived a blameless life. (Therefore the only One Who can save.) It is His precious blood that washes away our sin and makes us clean, not our good behaviour or righteous lifestyle.

Also, how can we who are "born again" by the power of God be "unborn"? You cannot even cause yourself to be physically unborn, how much less spiritually? You may also want to consider what Scripture says regarding our being "sealed" by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption, and how even when we are faithless, he abides faithful and cannot deny Himself.

Also, why would we need a Great High Priest and Intercessor if we are never to make another mistake? Scripture is clear that Jesus is that for us, always interceding on our behalf once we are saved and "in" Him.

There are no "conditions" placed on salvation. It is a gift, entirely undeserved, bought with the precious blood of Christ.

To say there are conditions is to tell people they must somehow earn or merit their salvation, which is to add "works" and therefore cancel grace.

If works are added, then grace is no more grace. This is why the cross is an "offense", because it removes all grounds for boasting in ourselves. It's either Christ's sacrifice or nothing. We do not add our righteous works, which are as "filthy rags", to His once for all and all sufficient sacrifice for sin.

False assurance in what? False assurance in who? Christ Jesus?

The real "false assurance" is telling people they had better look to their own behaviour and lifestyle to be saved. We look only to Christ. (Remember when Peter walked on water?)

On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand as the hymn goes, and it's true. We dare not stand on anything or anyone else. He alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life. We can know and trust that He did accomplish what He came to do. He did not fail.

And Scripture assures us that nothing can separate us from the love of God, and He will never leave us or forsake us. Jesus never fails.

God bless.
Hebrews 10, Galatians 5, and Romans 11 were written to Christians. The “those parts of Scripture don’t apply to me” excuse doesn’t work for those verses.

You set up a false dichotomy. Putting your faith and trust in Jesus is a condition placed on salvation. We also believe that avoiding specific sins mentioned in the NT (or sincerely repenting and asking for forgiveness when one does them) is a second condition. Satisfying each gives us no reason to boast in ourselves, nor has anyone here claimed that he deserves to be saved. These are simply straw man arguments.

The reason why some people recognize the former (trust) as a condition but reject the latter (proper conduct) is because with the first it is easy to profess one’s love and trust of Jesus and maintain a sense of security, while sin speaks for itself and cannot be denied. So these sins such as adultery, murder, rape, theft, etc. which are an obvious rejection of Jesus’s love and lordship over one’s life, cannot have anything to do with one’s salvation, and one can then go on blissfully believing that he can do these things “because I really love the Lord in my heart.”

Is God mocked?

You have multitudes of Christians walking around today living blatantly and unapologetically sinful lives, all the while convinced that they are saved because of a profession of faith that they made on “that day” ten years ago. This is a direct result of the theology, which as stated by Martin Luther above, ultimately leads to the logical conclusion that a Christian can murder and commit adultery thousands of time a day and still be saved without even repenting once, “because a person who is once saved is always saved.”

This idea that when a Christian does things like adultery, murder, rape, and theft, they have absolutely no impact on his salvation, is essentially the same lie that the serpent told Eve in the garden: “You will not die.” And it is the same lie that Satan has been trying to convince man of ever since, so as to cause him to sin.

Do not be deceived by this lie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The name JudgeB was not meant to be cute and if you lik e it so much why don’t you change it? I take personal posts personally , “ pal “.
Well it was cute pal, whether you intended it to be or not. Have a blessed day.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hebrews 10, Galatians 5, and Romans 11 were written to Christians. The “those parts of Scripture don’t apply to me” excuse doesn’t work for those verses.

Who said anything about them "not applying"?

You set up a false dichotomy. Putting your faith and trust in Jesus is a condition placed on salvation.

As I've said before, we've been over this. We don't see "trust" the same way.

We also believe that avoiding specific sins mentioned in the NT (or sincerely repenting and asking for forgiveness when one does them) is a second condition.

I didn't say not to ask God for forgiveness, now did I? Nor did I say we shouldn't try our best to refrain from sinning. Such is our "good and reasonable service." The point is, we know from Scripture, that our "righteous deeds are as filthy rags" and cannot and will not save us. We are saved by the obedience of One, Jesus Christ.

Satisfying each gives us no reason to boast in ourselves, nor has anyone here claimed that he deserves to be saved. These are simply straw man arguments.

If we are looking to ourselves even a tiny bit to be saved, then we are indeed "prideful", in that we have made salvation a matter of our own obedience and good works, and not Christ and His finished work, the one time and all sufficient sacrifice He made for the sins of the world. As it is written, "let him who boasts, boast only in the Lord."

The reason why some people recognize the former (trust) as a condition but reject the latter (proper conduct) is because with the first it is easy to profess one’s love and trust of Jesus and maintain a sense of security, while sin speaks for itself and cannot be denied.

Apparently it's not easy, as many cannot simply "rest" in Christ, our Sabbath, but instead "go about to establish their own righteousness." It does seem natural to mankind that we must do good to receive salvation, but Scripture is abundantly clear, salvation is a gift, not a reward for the good things we have done.

So these sins such as adultery, murder, rape, theft, etc. which are an obvious rejection of Jesus’s love and lordship over one’s life, cannot have anything to do with one’s salvation, and one can then go on blissfully believing that he can do these things “because I really love the Lord in my heart.”

Anyone whose reaction to the Gospel is some form of "thank you Jesus for giving me freedom to go murder, rape and steal all I want", does not understand that Gospel at all. And no one who truly does understand it and receives God's gift of salvation by grace through faith, just wants to go on loving their sin. So, that suggestion is absurd. When we understand the price Jesus Christ paid for us, we will hate the sin He died to save us from. I have yet to hear anyone who is truly resting in Christ's finished work say that they love sin and just want to go around doing as much evil as they possibly can.

Is God mocked?

Absolutely not. So we had better be sure we don't trample the Son of God underfoot and consider His blood an "unclean thing." (Insufficient to save).

You have multitudes of Christians walking around today living blatantly and unapologetically sinful lives, all the while convinced that they are saved because of a profession of faith that they made on “that day” ten years ago.

You don't get to say whether or not someone is living a "blatantly sinful" life. How do you know they aren't growing in God's grace and that He isn't working with them in their "flesh"? Can you see a person's heart as God can? We only see outward behaviour. Another thing to remember is that if you have sinned, even once, since being saved, you are no better than they are. Have you been unjustly angry with someone? Have you given into fear and worry? Have you envied anyone? Have you been lazy and under productive? Have you failed to help someone in need? We all fall short of the glory of God, and in our flesh dwells no good thing. The flesh wars against the Spirit.

This is a direct result of the theology, which as stated by Martin Luther above, ultimately leads to the logical conclusion that a Christian can murder and commit adultery thousands of time a day and still be saved without even repenting once, “because a person who is once saved is always saved.”

No true believer ever wants to do such things. They will hate sin, but they will still realize that their flesh "serves the law of sin." (Romans 7)

And remember, Jesus made it clear that hate is murder and lust is adultery. That's how High God's standards for absolute righteousness are. He who offends in one point, offends in all.

No one has lived a perfect, sinless, blameless life, but Christ Jesus.

This idea that when a Christian does things like adultery, murder, rape, and theft, they have absolutely no impact on his salvation, is essentially the same lie that the serpent told Eve in the garden: “You will not die.” And it is the same lie that Satan has been trying to convince man of ever since, so as to cause him to sin.

Do not be deceived by this lie.

There is no longer any condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, who have passed from death to life, been born again and sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. Satan's lie is "hath God really said?" Only Satan would want anyone to doubt their salvation, not God.

We can trust that Jesus does not fail and that He is able to save "to the uttermost" all who believe. He is our Great High Priest and Intercessor, we can "rest" in Him.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who said anything about them "not applying"?

As I've said before, we've been over this. We don't see "trust" the same way.

I didn't say not to ask God for forgiveness, now did I? Nor did I say we shouldn't try our best to refrain from sinning. Such is our "good and reasonable service." The point is, we know from Scripture, that our "righteous deeds are as filthy rags" and cannot and will not save us. We are saved by the obedience of One, Jesus Christ.

If we are looking to ourselves even a tiny bit to be saved, then we are indeed "prideful", in that we have made salvation a matter of our own obedience and good works, and not Christ and His finished work, the one time and all sufficient sacrifice He made for the sins of the world. As it is written, "let him who boasts, boast only in the Lord."

Apparently it's not easy, as many cannot simply "rest" in Christ, our Sabbath, but instead "go about to establish their own righteousness." It does seem natural to mankind that we must do good to receive salvation, but Scripture is abundantly clear, salvation is a gift, not a reward for the good things we have done.

Anyone whose reaction to the Gospel is some form of "thank you Jesus for giving me freedom to go murder, rape and steal all I want", does not understand that Gospel at all. And no one who truly does understand it and receives God's gift of salvation by grace through faith, just wants to go on loving their sin. So, that suggestion is absurd. When we understand the price Jesus Christ paid for us, we will hate the sin He died to save us from. I have yet to hear anyone who is truly resting in Christ's finished work say that they love sin and just want to go around doing as much evil as they possibly can.

Absolutely not. So we had better be sure we don't trample the Son of God underfoot and consider His blood an "unclean thing." (Insufficient to save).

You don't get to say whether or not someone is living a "blatantly sinful" life. How do you know they aren't growing in God's grace and that He isn't working with them in their "flesh"? Can you see a person's heart as God can? We only see outward behaviour. Another thing to remember is that if you have sinned, even once, since being saved, you are no better than they are. Have you been unjustly angry with someone? Have you given into fear and worry? Have you envied anyone? Have you been lazy and under productive? Have you failed to help someone in need? We all fall short of the glory of God, and in our flesh dwells no good thing. The flesh wars against the Spirit.

No true believer ever wants to do such things. They will hate sin, but they will still realize that their flesh "serves the law of sin." (Romans 7)

And remember, Jesus made it clear that hate is murder and lust is adultery. That's how High God's standards for absolute righteousness are. He who offends in one point, offends in all.

No one has lived a perfect, sinless, blameless life, but Christ Jesus.

There is no longer any condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, who have passed from death to life, been born again and sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. Satan's lie is "hath God really said?" Only Satan would want anyone to doubt their salvation, not God.

We can trust that Jesus does not fail and that He is able to save "to the uttermost" all who believe. He is our Great High Priest and Intercessor, we can "rest" in Him.

God bless.

I heard a preacher say that if you do not “know “ that you are saved you indeed are “not” saved.that is because you are basing your salvation on a lie,namely your ability to stay saved by your behavior.behavier can change.the Blood of Christ never changes. That is the as surance of our salvation. Now if you will excuse me ,I have a busy day of sinning to attend to David sure got away with his murderand adultery didn’t he? Think I’ll go out and do the same. On a related note.....how’s the “sins of omission “ going? Nobody seems to want to discuss that . Ever.

Upvote 0