Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Some believe because Jesus cleanses us from all sin, that means sins that don't exist yet.

Scripture is clear that Jesus does indeed cleanse us (believers) from all sin. So, I would say with assurance that those who believe this are in complete agreement with the word of God.

But in reality Jesus cleanses us from all our past sins, there was no sin too great that His blood didn't cleanse.

When Jesus died on the cross, all our sins were "future", as we had not been born yet.

It is dangerous to believe that, okay, my past, present sins and future sins are all cleansed. "For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins." 2 Peter 1:9

Paul wasn't saying that Jesus only died to cleanse "old sins", but that all present or future sins are not cleansed. If that were true than the only people who could have been saved would have been those who were living when Christ died on the cross to cleanse all the sins they had committed up to that point in time. That doesn't make sense Scripturally.

What Paul was referring to was how even those who have been saved and cleansed from sin can still fall short and stumble.

When in reality, Jesus immediately gives us the POWER of God to not sin again with a willful spirit of a fleshly nature.

When we are born again and made "new creations" in Christ, the "inner man" is without sin, but this physical body is still mortal and perishing. As Paul said "in my flesh dwells no good thing", and we know the flesh wars against the Spirit.

One day we will receive new, incorruptible, immortal bodies.

Romans 6:2; Romans 8:9 We are dead to sin, and we are no longer in the flesh if we have the Holy Spirit. And if we do not have the Holy Spirit, we do not belong to Him.

Agreed.

I was in church for almost 30 years before I was dead to sin. That's a long time to be a "Christian" in name only, but not saved. I doubt I am the only person who had never truly repented of sin, the prerequisite to receiving the Holy Spirit.

Repentance is a change of mind, a turning to Christ in faith. It's not a promise that you will obey the Law/never sin again.

I'm saved now, but it is a scary thing to realize that there are many today that only want Jesus as their Savior - their ticket out of hell, not realizing that they are the one still in charge, having never yielded their lives to His Lordship.

What you wrote above troubles me. You suggest that it's not enough for people to "want Jesus as their Saviour." I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "yielded their lives to His Lordship", as He is Lord, and we don't make Him anything. Also, our salvation does not depend on our perfect obedience. That's the very reason we need Him as our Saviour, because all of us have fallen short of the glory of God.

The claim that you're not saved until you "make Him Lord of your life", is false. He is Lord, He does not become Lord based on some effort or acknowledgement from us.

During that first 30 years I had a problem with sin, but when that problem was something I wanted to overcome because of the PAIN, and tried and failed over and over, I told God I couldn't stop. I was helpless, and needed Him to take the object of my sin away from me where I couldn't get my hands on it again. Within one week, that happened, but I still wasn't saved. I looked for other things to replace the object of my sin, because now I was in PAIN more than ever. When God took that away from me too, and the PAIN kept increasing, I asked Him why. And He sovereignly showed me a vision of my sin, and that He couldn't bless me. It's a long story that I've already shared with you. But that was the night I was baptized in the Spirit and became dead to the desire to sin. And it was the first day I was finally saved.

I wish more people understood that we "rest" in Him and His finished work. Jesus Christ is our "Sabbath." I too used to believe that every time I messed up again, perhaps God would be finished with me. That's not what the Bible says.

Up until then the Holy Spirit was drawing me, as is the case with millions of Christians who have never experienced being born again. They say they are because they can quote the scripture that says Christians are, not realizing they haven't become one yet. You see repentance is the key. It is why John the Baptist came FIRST preaching repentance. We must also have the baptism of fire, not just water.

The key is properly understanding "repentance."

God bless.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think Paul was not saved in Acts 23?
In that chapter he rebuked the High Priest Ananias. Paul even said that it was written that one should not revile the High Priest.. You can say that he did not know that it was the High Priest that he was rebuking, in that case Paul's sin would be he did not follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.
What about Peter? Paul had to rebuke him in Galatians 2:11-14, because Peter was to be blamed.
And Barnabas was carried away with there hypocrisy.
What about the Peter and the rest of the Apostles in Acts 1?
Casting lots and telling God He only had these 2 men to choose from to fill Judas' position.
They were clearly not depending on the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Just in case you weren't aware, when Jesus paid the debt for my sin, all of my sins were in the future.
Romans 4:7-8
4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

This is a quote from David in Psalm 32. We see that not only are our sins covered, but God won't even impute sin to us.
In 2 Peter 1:9 when Peter says that people would forget that there past sins were purged he was referring to people who let the things they did in the past bring them down.
Jesus is the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.
In 1 John 3:9 where John says he that is born of God does not sin, does not mean I don't sin.
My body, my soul still sin, they are not born of God. Only my spirit is born of God.
My mind is being renewed to become like Christ.
My body will be changed when Jesus comes back.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some believe because Jesus cleanses us from all sin, that means sins that don't exist yet. But in reality Jesus cleanses us from all our past sins, there was no sin too great that His blood didn't cleanse. It is dangerous to believe that, okay, my past, present sins and future sins are all cleansed. "For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins." 2 Peter 1:9 When in reality, Jesus immediately gives us the POWER of God to not sin again with a willful spirit of a fleshly nature. Romans 6:2; Romans 8:9 We are dead to sin, and we are no longer in the flesh if we have the Holy Spirit. And if we do not have the Holy Spirit, we do not belong to Him. I was in church for almost 30 years before I was dead to sin. That's a long time to be a "Christian" in name only, but not saved. I doubt I am the only person who had never truly repented of sin, the prerequisite to receiving the Holy Spirit. I'm saved now, but it is a scary thing to realize that there are many today that only want Jesus as their Savior - their ticket out of hell, not realizing that they are the one still in charge, having never yielded their lives to His Lordship.

During that first 30 years I had a problem with sin, but when that problem was something I wanted to overcome because of the PAIN, and tried and failed over and over, I told God I couldn't stop. I was helpless, and needed Him to take the object of my sin away from me where I couldn't get my hands on it again. Within one week, that happened, but I still wasn't saved. I looked for other things to replace the object of my sin, because now I was in PAIN more than ever. When God took that away from me too, and the PAIN kept increasing, I asked Him why. And He sovereignly showed me a vision of my sin, and that He couldn't bless me. It's a long story that I've already shared with you. But that was the night I was baptized in the Spirit and became dead to the desire to sin. And it was the first day I was finally saved.

Up until then the Holy Spirit was drawing me, as is the case with millions of Christians who have never experienced being born again. They say they are because they can quote the scripture that says Christians are, not realizing they haven't become one yet. You see repentance is the key. It is why John the Baptist came FIRST preaching repentance. We must also have the baptism of fire, not just water.

Century lady... congrats on your accomplishment. That whole rising above sin thing....having mastered the sins o commission ,now you are free to work on those sins of omission that James discussed....do you spend all your spare time working at the hospitals or feeding the poor?
And we must remember! One unclean thought., one little slip up and you have broken all 613 laws. So be careful and good luck! God bless

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Century lady... congrats on your accomplishment. That whole rising above sin thing....having mastered the sins o commission ,now you are free to work on those sins of omission that James discussed....do you spend all your spare time working at the hospitals or feeding the poor?
And we must remember! One unclean thought., one little slip up and you have broken all 613 laws. So be careful and good luck! God bless

This is why it is dangerous to give a testimony.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Only “dangerous” testimony is one that is not Biblical...I do not intend to be mean, century lady..".but scripturally you r testimony has more holes in it tha n
Peter’s fishing net

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Somebody on the internet is offering a big reward to the person that can find ,”repent of your sins” in the Bible...this person claims it is not in there. Any takers?

What are you suppose to be repenting from, if not sin?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:9 "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Who on this thread says faith is all you need without repentance to receive the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Only “dangerous” testimony is one that is not Biblical...I do not intend to be mean, century lady..".but scripturally you r testimony has more holes in it tha n
Peter’s fishing net

I know you say you know the scriptures. I do too. You take the wide road, and I'll take the narrow road, and let's see who gets to Scotland.

What is dangerous in giving testimony, is there will be always someone who wants to bring you down to their level. Good try, but I will believe the scriptures. Only a few will find it.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know you say you know the scriptures. I do too. You take the wide road, and I'll take the narrow road, and let's see who gets to Scotland.

What is dangerous in giving testimony, is there will be always someone who wants to bring you down to their level. Good try, but I will believe the scriptures. Only a few will find it.

With all due respect your interpretation of scriptures is a unique one . May I ask you where you got your teaching?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The key is properly understanding "repentance."
I absolutely agree. The Greek word for repentance is metanoia. Meta means change, noia means mind. So repentance means to change mind.
Mark 1:15 Jesus said, Repent and believe the Gospel. Change your mind and believe that only Jesus can save you.
Don't think for one second that you can save yourself by your good deeds. Isaiah 64:6
In Matthew 27:3 Judas repented himself.
Strong's No.:
G3338
Greek:
μεταμέλλομαι
Transliteration:
metamellomai
Pronunciation:
met-am-el'-lom-ahee
Definition:
From G3326 and the middle of G3199; to care afterwards that is regret: - repent (self).

Judas regretted what he did. He did not metanoia.

Jesus told the man called Legion to go to his hometown and tell them what Jesus had done for him.
Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

How is it dangerous to give a testimony?

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
2 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.

2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. 6 Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

. . .

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

. . .

26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

. . .

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
With all due respect your interpretation of scriptures is a unique one . May I ask you where you got your teaching?

Yes, I have not found many who see scripture as I do. I compare scripture to scripture and ask God. I've also written a book on speaking in tongues, and 7 Pentecostal pastors had never heard my teaching before and hadn't compared the scriptures I did, and it changed their thinking. They asked me the same question, you have. Who taught me. No one in particular. I just study a lot, and above all, I ask God, who answers me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
2 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.

2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. 6 Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

. . .

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

. . .

26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

. . .

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I agree. It is good you brought up the sin of the Nicolaitans. I even saw a bit of that false doctrine spouted on this thread.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

• Agree
Reactions: PeaceB
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

. . .

. . .

. . .

Only one time out of these verses you cite does anything come close to repenting of sin.
It is where Jesus tells them to repent and do the first works.
They had left there first love, they now needed to change there mind and start loving God because He loved them first.

We cannot change our bad habits. We must let Christ in us do that. Philippians 1:6
If you try to do it, you will be unsuccessful. You may have good results for a little while, but it won't last long.
Repent and stop depending on yourself. Depend solely on God for everything.
We walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
As you have received Him, so walk in Him. Colossians 2:6
You received Him by grace through faith, don't start depending on your own ability to do good works.
And when, not if, when you fail remember God is still with you.
He is ecstatic over you, He rejoices over you with singing, even after you sin.
It isn't because you are so good or you are better than anyone else, it is because that is who God is.
Check out Zephaniah 3:17. And then the next time you fail, look at that verse again and I guarantee it will still say He is rejoicing over you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have not found many who see scripture as I do. I compare scripture to scripture and ask God. I've also written a book on speaking in tongues, and 7 Pentecostal pastors had never heard my teaching before and hadn't compared the scriptures I did, and it changed their thinking. They asked me the same question, you have. Who taught me. No one in particular. I just study a lot, and above all, I ask God, who answers me.

According to your studies and conversations with God..". What must I do to be saved?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
According to your studies and conversations with God..". What must I do to be saved?

Acts 2:38-39

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8:8-9
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

1 John 3

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Sin and the Child of God
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

The Imperative of Love
10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.

13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

The Outworking of Love
16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. 20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

• Agree
Reactions: PeaceB
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I know you probably didn't not agree with me, so give me a verse of scripture that contradicts what I believe and we can discuss it.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Paul’s Gospel in 1Cor:15says it will save us if we believe it... I believe it...According to you studies and conversations with God is that enough?

No. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!

The opposite of believe is disobey.

Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,

“The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone,” 8 and
“A stone of stumbling And a rock of offense.”
They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.

John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.

Upvote 0