Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
https://nypost.com/2019/10/30/devine-mismanagement-stubbornness-have-set-california-ablaze/

Locking up forests and preventing tree clearing and the systematic fuel reduction required in any prudent management of nature has been a disaster in a state that is “built to burn.”

Now that the cataclysm predicted by world forestry and fire experts has come to pass, the culprits are blaming climate change.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

When I was young I was on a crew that cut fire breaks throughout our forest areas. Fires did not spread so fast in those days.
Thank you CA. politicians --
once again for nothing.
Now -- what Party are they from?
MB

Last edited:

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
https://nypost.com/2019/10/30/devine-mismanagement-stubbornness-have-set-california-ablaze/

Locking up forests and preventing tree clearing and the systematic fuel reduction required in any prudent management of nature has been a disaster in a state that is “built to burn.”

Now that the cataclysm predicted by world forestry and fire experts has come to pass, the culprits are blaming climate change.

When I was young I was on a crew that cut fire breaks throughout our forest areas. Fires did not spread so fast in those days.
MB
This is scary. It's almost as if they're instigating these fires.

God help California, in the name of Jesus, for the sake of the innocent people in California caught up in this horrific state of affairs.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe the forestry department could offer the excessive wood in question to lumber companies as pay for their removal. Win-win.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

MB
In Australia, we have trees that burn ferociously. A "green" town council insisted on such trees being planted around residences to hide them from view. I don't know how such people live with themselves. Bushfires, as we call them, are commonplace. So is utter stupidity. It's a dangerous mix.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi MM,

If it's a state that is "built to burn", who built it that way?

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Simple answer.
Long term democrats in most all offices.
MB

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simple answer.
MB

Hi MM,

I'll assume that you're just trying your best to be silly and sarcastic to make some point that you believe.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Simple answer.
MB
These issues with California, one-after-the-other, including these fires, reflects right on those in office.

God help us. Praying for California.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Trump months ago said they should clean up the brush in the forests and then we got forrest raking memes making fun of Trump.
Finns Mock President Trump by Posting 'Forest Raking' Photos Online

raking meme.jpg

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi MM,

I'll assume that you're just trying your best to be silly and sarcastic to make some point that you believe.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Just not sure you know California?
Have you ever lived here?
M-Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the forestry department could offer the excessive wood in question to lumber companies as pay for their removal. Win-win.

They used to have lumber companies in those area, but they have restricted that activity. I'm sure it was for good intentions, and they never expected the problem to grow like it has. At this point the bush problem is so big? It would be hard - and costly - to turn around. I'm sure they may look into trying at this point, but they have had those restrictions on for a LONG time now.

It's been so long since the restrictions have gone into place I can't remember the reasoning behind it. I'll have to ask out friends that live in that state to remind me. I do remember at one time we as a culture hadn't got as far when it came to recycling, and we had campaigns about 'saving trees'. My H retired from the paper business, and his company had land to grow trees in order to use for the business. Yes, it was a HUGE amount of land. The recycling aspect has grown so big currently? They were able to sell the land - most of it - because its not needed.

I think these restrictions need to be readdressed. Although, like so many government issues like this? It takes forever to do that.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found an article that points out part of the problem.

Way back when they started to restrict what is called 'controlled burns' due to their history with these awful fires. Controlled burns are healthy for forests, and do help with keeping the spread of these wildfires due to getting rid of Kindling or debris (for lack of a better term). THat's just one aspect of the controlled burn of course. It also helps with tree management among other things. Due to CA nature with their environment and winds and LARGE portions of forest? YOu can certainly understand why anything coming close to 'fire' can be pretty scary. You also have to fight with environment activists, etc because they want all trees saved.

At the very bottom of the article it shows what they are up against.

But cutting through the red tape to carry out a prescribed fire can be tedious and time-consuming.

In some national forests, the undergrowth has grown so thick, fire managers need to hire contractors to go in first and cut and haul away the dense brush and small trees before they light the match. If they don’t, they say, a burn could climb from the tall underbrush to the tops of the big, hardy trees the foresters want to survive.

That sort of pre-thinning requires its own regulatory approval, a process that can take years. Foresters then need to create a “burn plan,” which can take up to two years before it’s approved, officials say.

“Sometimes from start of the project to final implementation, it can take 15 years,” said Brian Crawford, a fuels technician with the Tahoe National Forest. “In some people’s career, they barely see the start to the finish. We should be putting fire in these ecosystems at a greater rate than that.”

Prescribed burns remain controversial among some environmentalists, who aren’t afraid to file a legal challenge to kill a burn in court.

Can you imagine projects like this taking up to 15 years to be approved due to red tape, lawsuits, and politics? Sadly, this isn't going away anytime soon. Problem will get worse if they claim its only climate change, and not good intentioned decisions of the government once upon a time. With political environments changing so much from the past? Politicians tend to worry more about their jobs and reputation, and if people will buy into blaming something else for these awful fires? They will take it, and it could take even longer. Most of our states - if not all - have politicians that take that route most of the time. THis project will be enormous due to their vast forest in this state.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found an article that points out part of the problem.

Way back when they started to restrict what is called 'controlled burns' due to their history with these awful fires. Controlled burns are healthy for forests, and do help with keeping the spread of these wildfires due to getting rid of Kindling or debris (for lack of a better term). THat's just one aspect of the controlled burn of course. It also helps with tree management among other things. Due to CA nature with their environment and winds and LARGE portions of forest? YOu can certainly understand why anything coming close to 'fire' can be pretty scary. You also have to fight with environment activists, etc because they want all trees saved.

At the very bottom of the article it shows what they are up against.

But cutting through the red tape to carry out a prescribed fire can be tedious and time-consuming.

In some national forests, the undergrowth has grown so thick, fire managers need to hire contractors to go in first and cut and haul away the dense brush and small trees before they light the match. If they don’t, they say, a burn could climb from the tall underbrush to the tops of the big, hardy trees the foresters want to survive.

That sort of pre-thinning requires its own regulatory approval, a process that can take years. Foresters then need to create a “burn plan,” which can take up to two years before it’s approved, officials say.

“Sometimes from start of the project to final implementation, it can take 15 years,” said Brian Crawford, a fuels technician with the Tahoe National Forest. “In some people’s career, they barely see the start to the finish. We should be putting fire in these ecosystems at a greater rate than that.”

Prescribed burns remain controversial among some environmentalists, who aren’t afraid to file a legal challenge to kill a burn in court.

Can you imagine projects like this taking up to 15 years to be approved due to red tape, lawsuits, and politics? Sadly, this isn't going away anytime soon. Problem will get worse if they claim its only climate change, and not good intentioned decisions of the government once upon a time. With political environments changing so much from the past? Politicians tend to worry more about their jobs and reputation, and if people will buy into blaming something else for these awful fires? They will take it, and it could take even longer. Most of our states - if not all - have politicians that take that route most of the time. THis project will be enormous due to their vast forest in this state.
Controlled burns are also good for the wildlife as they allow sunlight to reach the forest floor. Where I live when they do a controlled burn they reseed with natural wild grasses that are feed for wildlife.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Controlled burns are also good for the wildlife as they allow sunlight to reach the forest floor. Where I live when they do a controlled burn they reseed with natural wild grasses that are feed for wildlife.

They do the same here where I live. If they don't do the controlled burns? It leads to disease in wildlife and plant life. The last couple of years they have been planting things to encourage butterflies and bees. Yes, of course along with the grasses, etc for the wildlife.

They do the wildlife management that people don't understand either. I'm not hunter, but I know those that do. They break it down to when you can hunt, how many can be taken, which sex and what age. It's amazing how much they know about the ecosystem, and how to keep things healthy overall.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you CA. politicians --
once again for nothing.
Now -- what Party are they from?
MB

A lot of it seems to start with faulty PG&E equipment.

Upvote 0