• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Catholics

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Cristo Rei, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei New Member

+19
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Does the Catholic church make it mandatory to pray Hail Mary?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,331
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    No. I was taught it is not required when converting.

3. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    No, but it is massively encouraged and very common. Almost every Catholic takes it for granted that this is good and right to do.

4. nanookadenord

nanookadenord Well-Known Member

+477
    Episcopalian
    Single
    Nope. It is not a requirement, but very much encouraged. Same as the rosary.

5. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I would think so since I believe they say it at every mass...

6. Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei New Member

+19
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Im fairly sure they don't pray Hail Mary at mass

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    As a normal practice, no. You're right about that.

Now...having read the answers to that question, do you have any follow-up or other questions we could answer for you?

8. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,736
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Ask in the Catholic forum

9. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I am no expert on the RCC whatsoever but I have heard it at a mass I saw

10. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,895
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    No, you haven’t. Not at a Catholic mass. Unless it was “quoted” during the homily. It is not part of the mass.

11. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,742
    Catholic
    Single
    Some parishes will have special prayer intentions directly after the service
    Praying for persecuted Christians around the world, praying for the Pope, praying for vocations, praying for those watching (for televised services), praying for victims of natural disasters or war
    And in those the Lord’s Prayer, the St. Michael prayer, and the Hail Mary are probably the most common

• List
  12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    You might have, but it is not an inherent part of the Mass. Perhaps you witnessed some special observance that was scheduled in conjunction with the Mass.

13. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It was on EWTN...

14. tz620q

tz620q Regular Member Supporter

+572
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I hope not. I converted to Catholicism and it was 20 years before I learned the Hail Mary. During that time, I probably heard it said maybe 4-5 times and that was outside mass. The main thing that made me want to learn it was exposure to other Catholics that had a better prayer life and used the Hail Mary (among other things) as part of that. In general, it befuddles me that this optional prayer devotional is maligned by those who ramble around during extemporaneous prayer in which only one person is worshiping God while the rest are passively listening.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    That doesn't make it part of the Mass, however.

16. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It was a mass on EWTN

17. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    that may have been the case. Why is this such a big deal? I don't see a problem if it is recited by the RCC during a mass or anytime...

18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    Aren't you the one making it a big deal? We have explained that the Hail Mary prayer is not a part of the Mass itself but you may have heard it recited on TV in conjunction with the Mass in some special observance. Why isn't that the answer to your original question?

20. tz620q

tz620q Regular Member Supporter

+572
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I suppose it could happen and orders of nuns, like those who work for EWTN are particularly devoted to the Blessed Mother. The Catholic Mass in Roman Rite churches is supposed to align with the Roman Missal, which does have options. Usually these are delineated in the Order of the Mass by placing several items with an "Or" between them and the celebrant just picks one of the options to say. During those times they are required to use one of the options. The Hail Mary is not one of the options. So saying the Hail Mary during the Mass is unusual.

• List