• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Catholics, why is it necessary to believe that Mary was immaculately conceived?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Ecclesiastian, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    She was neither.

2. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+719
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    So what made the conception immaculate?

3. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,904
    Anglican
    Married
    The presumption is that God suspended the inheritance of Original Sin (with which mortals are born) in her case, knowing that she would conceive and give birth to Jesus.

4. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Nothing, as it never happened, and no such thing exists except in the erroneous dogma of Rome.

5. ChristianForCats

+719
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Are you saying Mary was never born despite the obvious fact she gave birth to Jesus?

6. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,721
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    I think all Protestants on here should know that the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception does NOT mean that Mary was herself conceived and born virginally.

However, it is significant that in the Greek NT, she is the only one called KEKhITOMENOI. The root of this word is KhARIS, which throughout the NT means "grace".

This is one place where the KJV committee fudged the translation.

Beyond this, I will go no farther. The only Marian doctrine that I will defend on line is that she is truly Theotokos, and her Son is God incarnate.

This is a new enough idea to many Christians.

7. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Strange question considering my reply.

Mary was born as any other child after Adam's sin, that is to say through sexual union in marriage between her father (Heli; Luk. 3:23) and mother, and she inherited the same flesh as all children do since Adam's fall, which is to say fallen sinful flesh.

There is nothing 'immaculate' about it.

8. doctorwho29

doctorwho29 Well-Known Member

+387
    Christian
    Single
    Honestly I've never understood this at all, even when I was Catholic. The Bible says nothing on the Immaculate Conception of Mary nor that she was sinless NOR that she was always a Virgin (Jesus had siblings people). If God could shield Mary from sin, then why not just do the same for all of us? Why the cross?

9. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,721
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    How do you manage to separate "Jesus" from "Christ"?

This is nothing but the old heresy of Nestorianism.

It was wrong 1600 (or so) years ago, and is STILL wrong today.

10. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,637
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    We know from scripture that God favored her before she conceived. The word used in Luke is 'charitoo' which is the same word used in Eph.

Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

So for me, I see Mary as being 'made accepted/favored/filled with grace, at some point before the conception. But that doesn't say to me that she was born without the nature to sin or that she never sinned or never would sin after Jesus was born.

Above all else, Mary must have been a very special young woman to have been chosen by God to care for, raise, and love as a mother God's very own Son and the Redeemer of the world.
    Thank you, Father for Mary and for your Son, Jesus the Christ.

11. Shimokita

Shimokita Well-Known Member

+255
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    If Cats is asking whether Mary is impeccable, I do not think the Catholic Church has any formal position on that, although many theologians seems to take that view. The fact that she did not sin is dogma, but whether or not she could have sinned is still an open question, from what I understand.

12. Shimokita

Shimokita Well-Known Member

+255
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Well, at least we have temporarily moved on from the beast of revelation. Progress.

13. ChristianForCats

+719
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Which Bible version do you read? If it truly did not state Mary was a virgin, nobody would suggest that to be true. There are Bibles that call her a "young woman," but they are new versions, not like the originals.

14. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,326
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Actually it never says they were the Blessed Mothers children.

15. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Correct, they were Joseph's.

16. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Being a virgin to start with (she was) and the false claim of staying a virgin (error of Rome) are two differing things. Not synonymous.

17. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,326
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Please do not correct my post, it is against the rules and you will be reported next time. I am sorry your heart harbors so much hate for Traditional Christianity and the Theotokos

18. doctorwho29

doctorwho29 Well-Known Member

+387
    Christian
    Single
    Very strongly implied as she appeared alongside His brothers and sisters. Honestly, either they were hers or Joseph has some explaining to do

19. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Do what evil you will. I will do as I will to correct error.

20. HeartenedHeart

HeartenedHeart Member

+75
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Another gross heresy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.