• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Catholics, what exactly do you believe about Mary?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by melody5697, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    NO! In fact the Bible teaches Christians to judge my friend.

People that say we are not to judge are just trying to get away from accountability or are hiding something they do not want others to know.

Matt. 23:23............
    “You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?”

1 Corth. 6:9-10............
    “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God”.

Homosexuals are going to hell. Isn't that judgmental and not very politically correct?

John 7:19..............
    as not Moses given you the law? Yet none of you keeps the law. . . . Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

Isn't that judgmental?

2. kepha31

kepha31 Regular Member

+582
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    How many times do you have to be told? There is nothing in scripture that says ALL bowing is worship! You are re-writing scripture to force it into your preconceptions.
    It has been repeatedly and carefully explained, that Catholics do not worship idols, you are just too prejudiced to accept the facts. It's also clear in the official catechism, that you reject anyway. You are too proud to be taught.

Again, you overlook "WORSHIP" of a man made object. That's what makes it an idol. Worship of anything other than God has been condemned as idolatry for over 12 centuries before the first reformer was born.

It's your opinion of what the clear word of God says, and you are wrong.

Scripture doesn't fit your preconceptions

God condemns the sin of idolatry, whether in the form of worshipping statues, or stock options, or sex, or power, or a new car, any thing as an idol. But He does not prohibit religious images provided they are used properly. For example, in Exodus chapter 25 God commands Moses to carve statues of angels.
    (Exodus 25:1, Exodus 25:18-20, Exodus 25:22; cf. Exodus 26:1).

This shows clearly that there are circumstances in which religious images are not merely permissible but actually pleasing to God. God is commanding idolatry according to you.

Another example is the rather humorous incident described in 1 Samuel 6:1-18

1 Kings 6:12 -12-14
    This statement is important because the Temple contained a vast number of statues and images including angels, trees, flowers, oxen, and lions (cf. 1 Kings 6:23-35, 7:25, 36). Solomon’s decision to include these religious images came from the gift of wisdom God had blessed him with (cf. 1 Kings 3:1-28).

And far from being displeased by such images, “the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually” (1 Kings 9:3).

Obviously, God would not have blessed Solomon and “hallowed” his temple filled with statues and images if He did not approve of them — further proof that images can be good when used to order our minds toward God and heavenly realities.

Remember too that St. Paul called Christ “the express image” of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15). The Greek word here for “image” is eikonos, from which we derive the word “icon.”
    http://patrickmadrid.com/did-you-hear-the-one-about-catholics-worshiping-statues/

You may object and say the items in the Temple were not worshiped. Fair enough. Neither are statues.
    And I don't think you have mind reading abilities to know the hearts and minds of devout Catholics. Just shallow observations.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You are free to have your opinion. I can not agree with you on this and since you have only your opinions and NO Scriptures to validate that opinion I will leave it as you left it. Your thoughts and nothing more.

If you find any Scripture I would be glad to speak to it.

However, "I think" and "I do not think" and "As far as I know" simply do not do anything for me.

You see........."I think" that President Obama was the greatest president to ever have lived.
    Is that true. Probably not to most but it is what "I THINK".

So what does it mean..............."NOTHING" to anyone except you.

4. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I can not agree with you. All you are doing is rationalizing.

Again. IT is your choice. DO IT. You do not need to keep disagreeing with me.

I do not care if you do it or you do not. All I am saying and have said is that it is not Biblical.

5. Goatee

Goatee Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

+3,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Waw! You are so confused aren't you my friend.

6. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You said.........."really you have no excuse for this nonsense."

LOL>>>>>>>>I agree 100%. So then why are you and others so eager to argue and disagree?????

There are at least two people who I have begged to stop talking with me about this and still they keep coming back again and again posting the same things over and over like that is going to make their thought acceptable.

It is almost like they are venting to substantiate their belief in something that is never going to be believable to me.

Don't you find that interesting????

7. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ugly.......yes, confused No.

By the way, what is that Bible verse that validate Apostolic succession which ends with the Pope?

8. Goatee

+3,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Major1 I am amazed at how you think you are the only guy here with the correct and truthful interpretation of scripture as opposed to the CC. Obviously, God will be your judge on that.

9. Goatee

+3,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Nobody is coming back to you. Please, come down off of your pedestal. You keep replying as we do.

You will never persuade me of you interpretation of scripture either!

10. Goatee

+3,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    You know very well, that if a passage was quoted you would try and shoot it down with YOUR own interpretation! Lol

11. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,597
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    (Answering the last sentence in your post)
    With deference to our Catholic friends; the topic is, "Catholics, what do you believe.."
    As long as you keep challenging them, I would presume they will keep responding.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,921
    Anglican
    Married
    This has nothing to do with beliefs about Mary.

13. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I was just playing with you . Actually there is NO Bible verse at all which validate Apostolic succession.

14. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You are right. Forgive the post.

15. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not me friend. I am afraid of heights.

16. paul becke

paul becke Regular Member Supporter

+791
    Catholic
    UK-Labour
    Hope springs eternal. A theological virtue, no less.

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,921
    Anglican
    Married
    There are a few hints, but it is mainly a policy that's derived from the decisions made by first century Christians. The real problem with Apostolic Succession comes in when the different versions of it are addressed. I had to say that because you continued on an off-topic subject, but let's stick to the Mary question.

18. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Fair enough. Lets see!
    It is nothing that I would argue over, but personally I do not believe that there is anything that leads one to believe that.

19. paul becke

paul becke Regular Member Supporter

+791
    Catholic
    UK-Labour
    And you think we're going to end up believing your man-made, heretical tosh, because you keep coming back, to fulminate some more, Major Major ? Before you respond, you might like to wipe the flecks of spittle off your lapels. If you do that - no don't thank me - and you tell me if you think we mistake statues of Jesus for the actual Jesus, maybe we'll be able to start taking you a little seriously. If only to persevere in our efforts to correct you ; depending on the promise or otherwise you show with your answer.

20. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,558
    Non-Denom
    Ah yes. The sure and certain indication of defeat - sarcasm and belittlement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.