Catholics, what exactly do you believe about Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
2 Timothy 3:16
" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"
Amen brother! One of my favorite Bible verses.

Now why don't you provide us with a verse that teaches Sola Scriptura (or in your particular case, Sola Major1's Private Interpretation of Scriptura)?

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
2 Timothy 3:16
" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,".

I understand why you can not believe in Sola Scriptura as the Catholic church wanders so far from you would have to reject it.

Still does not mention 'sola scripture'.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No dogma of the Catholic Church contradicts Sacred Scripture, and you have not proven otherwise.

And you also reject the authority of the Church that Jesus founded. You have no ability to discern the truth whatsoever. You are a reed shaken in the wind.

No, I am irritated by your lack of understanding of Scripture.

But I am not your judge nor your enemy.

Then why are you still arguing with me over the obvious???????

You said............
"No dogma of the Catholic Church contradicts Sacred Scripture, and you have not proven otherwise."

But I have posted the exact word of the Scriptures which say that we are "NOT TO BOW DOWN TO ANY GRAVEN IGAGE OR STATU".

But that is what you do every time you bow down to the Statue of Mary in YOUR Church.

I posted the exact words of Jesus who said that......"We are to call no man our FATHER because our Father is in heaven".

But every time you address your priest YOU call him FATHER.

Get your fact straight my friend.

Then you said..............
And you also reject the authority of the Church that Jesus founded

That is absolutely not true. I never said such a thing. I am saying however that I do not accept the authority of YOUR Catholic church but the church of God is made up of born again believers.

Now......are you BORN AGAIN!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

You said............
"No dogma of the Catholic Church contradicts Sacred Scripture, and you have not proven otherwise."

But I have posted the exact word of the Scriptures which say that we are "NOT TO BOW DOWN TO ANY GRAVEN IGAGE OR STATU".

But that is what you do every time you bow down to the Statue of Mary in YOUR Church.

I posted the exact words of Jesus who said that......"We are to call no man our FATHER because our Father is in heaven".

That is absolutely not true. I never said such a thing. I am saying however that I do not accept the authority of YOUR Catholic church but the church of God is made up of born again believers.

Sorry but you were shown the answer to your questions above but still refused to accept them

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Still does not mention 'sola scripture'.

Again..........you are not grasping the word....."OBVIOUSE".

Please answer me a question. You keep repeating that "Sola Scripture" actual words are not in the Bible. I agree with that.

Now why do you reject Sola Scriptura based on your thinking that the actual words are not in the Bible but you accept the PERPETUAL VIRGINITY of Mary and those actual words are not in the Bible either?

Again, why do you accept Mary as sinless before and after conception AND THOSE ACTUAL WORDS ARE NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE EITHER.

Why do you accept the practice of repeating the Rosary AND THOSE ACTUAL WORDS ARE NOT FOUND IN THE SCRIPTURE.

Why is one way for you and different for me?????????

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry but you were shown the answer to your questions above but still refused to accept them

NOPE. I was given some opinions but not Bible Scriptures.

I am still waiting for the answers.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged

You said............

You can refer back to the articles that I provided to you. You have proved nothing, and by your nonsensical reading of the text, I would not even be able to draw a picture of an apple in an art class, or call my dad "Father" before dinner. And we do not bow down to statutes, we kneel in front of them to pray. You are not to be taken seriously.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

Statues of Mary and the Saints? Isn’t this idolatry? - Diocese of Brooklyn

Many Protestant Christians will accuse Catholic Christians of making idols and quote the above text. What they fail to do is understand the above text in its context. Throughout the history of God’s people, there is always a tendency to fall away from the worship of the One, True God and adopt the pagan practice of worshipping false idols. In modern times those idols are: money, sex, status, etc. When the Jews were under the bondage of the Egyptians there was a temptation to worship the animal like gods of the Egyptians. Many of the Egyptian gods were made in the images of jackals, birds and other animals. In the above text God is making an direct condemnation of this practice when he says do not make a graven image of anything in heaven, the earth, under the earth and in the water.

God is not condemning the making of all images, just images that one would worship as a false god. Just 5 chapters later in Exodus 25: 17-22 God actually commands Moses to make graven images of two cherub (angels) to be part of the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant.

“And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and on cherub on the other end; of one piece with the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out its wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim.”

Is God contradicting himself? No

Scripture enclosed!

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Statues of Mary and the Saints? Isn’t this idolatry? - Diocese of Brooklyn

God is not condemning the making of all images, just images that one would worship as a false god. Just 5 chapters later in Exodus 25: 17-22 God actually commands Moses to make graven images of two cherub (angels) to be part of the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant.

“And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and on cherub on the other end; of one piece with the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out its wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim.”

Is God contradicting himself? No

Scripture enclosed!

And where in the verse you posted does it say "Thou shall not bow down to those angels".

They are adornments not statues.

In YOUR church are 3 statues. One for Mary, one for Joseph and one for Jesus.
YOU BOW DOWN every time you pass them.

Now where are the actual words to be found that allows that to take place.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
And where in the verse you posted does it say "Thou shall not bow down to those angels".

They are adornments not statues.

In YOUR church are 3 statues. One for Mary, one for Joseph and one for Jesus.
YOU BOW DOWN every time you pass them.

Now where are the actual words to be found that allows that to take place.

Lol, lol, lol. 'Adornments' now? Really? They are not 'figures' then as is a statue? You are twisting it to suit what you want to say now my friend! :doh:

• Haha
Reactions: PeaceB
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its not and obviously you find it hard to see why!

Find it hard to "SEE".

LOL>.........Now it is me that finds things hard to see. Not long ago you said the opposite.

You "SEE" the reason why but the Word of God says.............

Ex. 20:4-5...........
“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me".

Do you see how silly this confrontation has become????

YOU have decided that it is OK to do what you want to do even though it is totally against the Scriptures.

Then you want to argue over what I "SEE" and what only I think is proper.

I think the word you are looking for is "Hypocrite".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lol, lol, lol. 'Adornments' now? Really? They are not 'figures' then as is a statue? You are twisting it to suit what you want to say now my friend! :doh:

First of all..........God told them to do it, so they were obedient.

Secondly...........NO ONE saw them so there was no bowing or worship done. The only one who saw them was the high priest once a year when he applied the blood to the Mercy Seat.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Secondly...........NO ONE saw them so there was no bowing or worship done. The only one who saw them was the high priest once a year when he applied the blood to the Mercy Seat.

What about the bronze serpent that God commanded Aaron to make, why is that not count d as an idol?
Or all the other statuary in solomons temple?

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I see. So by your reasoning God commands people to do things that violate his own commandments. This is why nobody can take you seriously.

I see. So by your logic I can put a statute of Mary in my apartment, stand in front of it, and pray, and I am good.

But the moment my daughter walks into the room and sees me, then I am in violation of the commandment.

With all due respect, your posts are getting more and more nonsensical by the minute. You should quit while you are behind.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Find it hard to "SEE".

LOL>.........Now it is me that finds things hard to see. Not long ago you said the opposite.

You "SEE" the reason why but the Word of God says.............

Ex. 20:4-5...........
“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me".

Do you see how silly this confrontation has become????

YOU have decided that it is OK to do what you want to do even though it is totally against the Scriptures.

Then you want to argue over what I "SEE" and what only I think is proper.

I think the word you are looking for is "Hypocrite".
The text states "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Do you beat your children every time you see them drawing a picture?

Do you keep them out of art class so that they do not violate the commandment?

Because if you do not, you have allowed your children to violate the clear word of God, according to your own nonsensical logic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The text states "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Do you beat your children every time you see them drawing a picture?

Do you keep them out of art class so that they do not violate the commandment?

Because if you do not, you have allowed your children to violate the clear word of God, according to your own nonsensical logic.

Are you just making this up as you go along. Do you realize how silly your comment is????

You are saying that a picture drawn by a child equals a statue/idol placed in a church.

What a stretch!!!! You are going to have to do better than that my friend.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.