Catholics, what exactly do you believe about Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What denomination are you major1?

I am a born again Christian. I was educated at a secular college and also undergraduate work at a Presbyterian University and attend a non-denominational church.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The Scriptures tell us that they were Jesus' actual siblings/brothers, that is, half brothers, sons of Joseph and Mary. That is the most logical way to understand those Scriptures.

I say again to you that the only reason to not accept them as the obvious answer is so that the perpetual virginity of Mary can be maintained. There is no other reason than that possible my friend.

That is why you accept them "cousins and others". It has NOTHING to do with what I think or believe at all. It only has to do with the Catholic doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary.
Now if that is what you choose to believe, fine and dandy with me. I really do not care.

Where does it say they were his 'actual' or 'biological' siblings? Can you quote that then as you say you read the Bible 'literally'. I must have missed that word in the text.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I am a born again Christian. I was educated at a secular college and also undergraduate work at a Presbyterian University and attend a non-denominational church.

I thought you were a retired pastor? Which denomination my friend?

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, what you favor is to be your own authority, rather than to be under the authority of the Church that Jesus founded. That is basically what it comes down to. You want to be in control and have everything be your way. You say "I will stick with God's Word" only as a pretense to do whatever you want, and to substitute your own judgement for the judgement of his church.

But I am not your judge nor your enemy.

You are incorrect. You are welcome to your opinion just as I am mine. The problem here and everywhere else is that when the truth of God's Word smacks up against your Catholic dogma, the only recourse left open to you is the personal one.

I have NO authority what so ever my friend. Never said I did.

I in fact have NO control over anyone. My own dog does not even do what I tell him to do.

You are just irritated at me because I dare to suggest that the Catholic Church you belong to just may not be doing the things we are asked to do in the Bible and it makes you angry.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where does it say they were his 'actual' or 'biological' siblings? Can you quote that then as you say you read the Bible 'literally'. I must have missed that word in the text.

The word you are needing to grasp is......"OBVIOUSE".

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Absolutely correct! It does NOT say that but that is the way I understand it.

So the question remains, did Jesus have siblings? Four men—James, Joses, Simon, and Judas—are mentioned as the brothers or siblings of Jesus. That is what is printed in Matthew 13:55; Mark 6:3.

The Scriptures tell us that they were Jesus' actual siblings/brothers, that is, half brothers, sons of Joseph and Mary. That is the most logical way to understand those Scriptures.

I say again to you that the only reason to not accept them as the obvious answer is so that the perpetual virginity of Mary can be maintained. There is no other reason than that possible my friend.

That is why you accept them "cousins and others". It has NOTHING to do with what I think or believe at all. It only has to do with the Catholic doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary.
Now if that is what you choose to believe, fine and dandy with me. I really do not care.
And yet having four brothers, Jesus decides to send Mary to live with not a single one of them, but with the Apostle John.

That makes a lot of sense. Not.

So the soldiers did these things, 25 but standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.​

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You are incorrect. You are welcome to your opinion just as I am mine. The problem here and everywhere else is that when the truth of God's Word smacks up against your Catholic dogma, the only recourse left open to you is the personal one.

I in fact have NO control over anyone. My own dog does not even do what I tell him to do.

You are just irritated at me because I dare to suggest that the Catholic Church you belong to just may not be doing the things we are asked to do in the Bible and it makes you angry.

From what i can see friend, it is 'you' that reads scripture with your own 'personal' view.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what i can see friend, it is 'you' that reads scripture with your own 'personal' view.

Not so at all. I am sorry that you feel that way but "Obviously" that is not the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but i looked at the scripture you linked but i don't see the word 'actual'.

I looked up "Rosary" and I could not find it in the Scriptures.

I looked up "Transubstantiation" in the Bible and could not find it either.

I looked up the need to pray to Mary in the Scriptures and I could not find it either.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Not so at all. I am sorry that you feel that way but "Obviously" that is not the case.

So how do you read it then? You said you are non-denom so i presume what you gain from scripture is from what 'you' as an individual believe.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And yet having four brothers, Jesus decides to send Mary to live with not a single one of them, but with the Apostle John.

That makes a lot of sense. Not.

So the soldiers did these things, 25 but standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.​

I have no idea what your point is.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I looked up "Rosary" and I could not find it in the Scriptures.

I looked up "Transubstantiation" in the Bible and could not find it either.

I looked up the need to pray to Mary in the Scriptures and I could not find it either.

I looked up 'Solar Scripture' and did not see it in the Bible

I still cannot find the word 'actual' that you said was in the scripture you linked too my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So how do you read it then? You said you are non-denom so i presume what you gain from scripture is from what 'you' as an individual believe.

No sir, not at all. It simply means that a church is not affiliated with a group of other churches financially.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
No dogma of the Catholic Church contradicts Sacred Scripture, and you have not proven otherwise.

And you also reject the authority of the Church that Jesus founded. You have no ability to discern the truth whatsoever. You are a reed shaken in the wind.

No, I am irritated by your lack of understanding of Scripture.

But I am not your judge nor your enemy.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I looked up 'Solar Scripture' and did not see it in the Bible

I still cannot find the word 'actual' that you said was in the scripture you linked too my friend.

2 Timothy 3:16
" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,".

I understand why you can not believe in Sola Scriptura as the Catholic church wanders so far from you would have to reject it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.