• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Catholics, what exactly do you believe about Mary?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by melody5697, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goatee

Goatee Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    It does not state that Mary bore any more children.

In Jewish tradition it was always the immediate next of kin that took care of the mother or father. I thought you would have known that?

2. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    My friend, you claim to be correct while the CC is not. That is your view. I prefer the view of the 'True' church, the CC.

3. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
    It says that Jesus, whom the Bible identifies as having been born of Mary, had brothers and sisters, so don't say that there is nothing in scripture which speaks to the matter.

Jesus often departed from Jewish regulations and customs. I thought you would have known that.

4. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Brothers and sisters, as i pointed out, were called that in Jesus's time, even when they were not biologically related! You fail to accept that.

Nowhere in the Bible does it carry the word 'Bible'. Nowhere does it say 'Holy Trinity'

Do you pray any prayers that are not written in the Bible? Or do you only pray the Psalms?

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
    You fail to appreciate the point here. You claimed that the Bible was silent on the matter. It is not.

There is, as I laid it out in my previous post, certain information that undeniably bears upon this issue. You can argue for a different interpretation; indeed you have already told us that you chose the interpretation that you like best. You cannot also argue that the Bible offers us nothing that would guide us in deciding this matter...and certainly not the information that supports the most likely explanation.

6. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    I think you will find it is Peter not Paul my friend!

You say you read as it is written but decide to not read the scripture in 1 Peter as 'written' but the others as 'written'. Of course Peter is saying 'brother' and 'Son' in a loving way and not in reference to them being biological siblings. Much the same as scripture says about the 'Brothers & Sisters' of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

7. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    All authority does not stop when the Bible is closed shut. The Holy Spirit lives on in us, in the church.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be there all the time:

John 14
    Jesus Promises to Send the Holy Spirit

16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. 17 That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.

25 “I have told you this while I’m still with you. 26 However, the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything. He will remind you of everything that I have ever told you.

Matthew 18:16-18
    16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The church does indeed have authority

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
    Not to invent doctrines on its own. And neither of those two Bible passages suggests that it does.

9. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    You do realise that you can indeed be fallible in your reading of scripture. Give a portion of scripture to, say, 100 people and you will get many different interpretation. Which one is correct?

10. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    'Most likely explanation' as chosen by you.

This is what i like as it gives true facts about how people actually lived in Jesus time:

Brother Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

11. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Again, thats how you see things.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
    ]
    No, just the most likely interpretation--thinking that brothers and sisters might refer to brothers and sisters.

Notice that I haven't insisted that your interpretation is impossible, just that you have one, that it is unlikely, and that the Bible does speak to the matter and is not silent.

13. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
  14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
    Well, duh. Since I have spent some time explaining the situation to you, I guess I can agree that I have an interpretation, just as you do. Yes, that is right.:rolleyes:

15. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
  16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,601
    Anglican
    Married
  17. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    'Probably' not being 'fact'.

You left this out:

Bother:

18. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Brother. [N] [E]

The Hebrew word is used in various senses in the Old Testament, as,

1. Any kinsman, and not a mere brother; e.g. nephew, ( Genesis 13:8 ; 14:16 ) husband, ( Solomon 4:9 )
    2. One of the same tribe. ( 2 Samuel 19:13 )
    3. Of the same people, ( Exodus 2:11 ) or even of a cognate people. ( Numbers 20:14 )
    4. An ally. ( Amos 1:9 )
    5. Any friend, ( Job 5:15 )
    6. One of the same office. ( 1 Kings 9:13 )
    7. A fellow man. ( Leviticus 19:17 )
    8. Metaphorically of any similarity, as in ( Job 30:19 ) The word adelphos has a similar range of meanings in the New Testament.

19. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Also, people say that 'James', one of the 12 was the biological 'brother' of Jesus. But, if we look at this bit of scripture look what is said about 'James'

Matthew 10
    The Twelve Apostles
    10 And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity. 2 The names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zeb′edee, and John his brother; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus;4 Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

Why is he called son of Alphaeus when people say he is the biological brother of Our Lord?

James was indeed a 'brother' of Jesus. As were all the Apostles! Not 'biological brothers'

20. Goatee

+3,562
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    So, if that is so, do you believe the 'literal' meaning of this passage:

John 6:53
    53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.