Catholics, what exactly do you believe about Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have never accused non Catholics of being in the darkness.....Show me where?

You seem to have a very short memory. In Post #616 you responded to me with -

As we know, anyone who does not understand Catholicism gropes in the dark!!

I take that as a personal jibe.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to Holy Scripture, the Deceiver is indeed capable of performing miraculous signs and wonders, and in fact, we are told that he will certainly do so. Satan has been performing miraculous signs since the beginning, including taking physical form in the Garden of Eden, continuing through to the miraculous signs performed by Jannes and Jambres in Pharaoh's court by powers other than the True God.

Also according to Holy Scripture, on the SPECIFIC matters of healing the blind and the paralytic (both of which have happened at Lourdes), Jesus asked "Can Satan cast out Satan?"

So, you answer me - in light of the healing of the blind and paralytic at Lourdes - can Satan cast out Satan?

And if so, answer me: is what happened at Lourdes - the healing of the blind and the healing of the paralytic - done by the power of God or the power of Satan?

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You seem to have a very short memory. In Post #616 you responded to me with -

As we know, anyone who does not understand Catholicism gropes in the dark!!

I take that as a personal jibe.

For anyone to accuse Catholics of Worshiping Mary is a sure sign that they do not understand the Catholic faith! Simples

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Also according to Holy Scripture, on the SPECIFIC matters of healing the blind and the paralytic (both of which have happened at Lourdes), Jesus asked "Can Satan cast out Satan?"

So, you answer me - in light of the healing of the blind and paralytic at Lourdes - can Satan cast out Satan?

And if so, answer me: is what happened at Lourdes - the healing of the blind and the healing of the paralytic - done by the power of God or the power of Satan?

At Lourdes who is given credit - Mary or Jesus or Jesus because of Mary?

Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
When you have to rework the Bible to such an extent as this, you've already lost the argument IMHO.

Rework the Bible ?!?! That's a good one ! Are you another one determined to defy the Holy Spirit by refusing to honour Our Lady ? You're a brave man, if an egregiously foolish one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

You missed out 'Mary because of Jesus', the actual answer ! Not unreminiscent of Jesus changing the water into wine at the wedding feast at Caana - at Our Lady's urging.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I will answer your question if you answer mine first: a born-blind and a paralytic were both healed at Lourdes, a place at which Jesus Christ is worshiped as the Son of God and the second person of the Holy Trinity. Was this by the power of God or the power of Satan?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rework the Bible ?!?! That's a good one ! Are you another one determined to defy the Holy Spirit by refusing to honour Our Lady ? You're a brave man, if an egregiously foolish one.

Calm yourself. The quoted verse, as you can see for yourself, is incorrect. In the Bible, it's traditions, not tradition.

However, the topic concerned doctrines created by tradition or what's called Holy Tradition or Sacred Tradition. A verse that speaks favorably of traditions is obviously going to look more relevant to the topic if the word traditions is changed to tradition.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Calm yourself. The quoted verse, as you can see for yourself, is incorrect. In the Bible, it's traditions, not tradition.

However, the topic concerned doctrines created by tradition or what's called Holy Tradition or Sacred Tradition. A verse that speaks favorably of traditions is obviously going to look more relevant to the topic if the word traditions is changed to tradition.

Wrong thread! lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wrong thread! lol
:doh:Yep. My absence from the discussion for awhile cost me. :sorry:

But I was responding to the same poster and both times there was a reworking of the Bible's language in order to try to make a point, so......

Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

What's the latest on your 'contretemps' with the Holy Spirit, Albion ? Still refusng to honour Our Lady ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The first thing that struck me was that you are persisting in refusing to obey the Holy Spirit by honouring Mary
I really don't care about your guesswork concerning my standing with the Holy Spirit. Speak to the topic of the thread if you want to participate.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Your guesswork is not relevant to the question of the thread.
There was no guesswork involved. But it was part of a post I was deleting, having seen that you were answering the wrong thread, and then the editing seemed to take on a life of its own, and posted that part anyway. I amended it to #632 above it.

When are you going to honour Our Lord's mother, as one of her spiritual adopted sons, in fulfilment of the prophecy in her celebrated canticle ? Silence on the subject is no answer. Or rather, at best, it is the answer of a truculent primary-school child. Come on now ? What about it ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ssshhhh! We don't talk about that with our Catholic friends lest we stir them into a froth about Mary's children.
/chuckle. That's ok. I believe they were his step-brothers anyway.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
/chuckle. That's ok. I believe they were his step-brothers anyway.

Half brothers: same mother, different fathers. Step brothers would have different mothers and fathers and joined by marriage of one of each of their parents. Either way, discussing it would lead to this years 567th round of the perpetual virginity of Mary. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm persuaded that they were either his natural siblings, his stepbrothers and sisters, his cousins, or non-relatives who were called "brothers" and "sisters" in the way we sometimes describe any valued colleague. ;) And I'm holding to it.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Really?

It was evident that if Satan aided Jesus in casting out devils, the kingdom of hell was divided against itself; how then could it stand! And if they said that Jesus cast out devils by the prince of the devils, they could not prove that their children cast them out by any other power.

“Therefore they shall be your judges”: - They condemn you and your argument. They are conclusive witnesses against the force of your reasoning.

Christ was not satisfied by showing them the intrinsic absurdity of their argument. He showed them that it might as well be applied to them as to him. Your disciples taught by you and encouraged by you, pretend to cast out devils.

If your argument be true that a man who casts out devils must be in league with the devil, then "your disciples", and you who taught them, have made a covenant with him also. You must therefore either give up this argument, or admit that the working of miracles is proof of the assistance of God.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Half brothers: same mother, different fathers. Step brothers would have different mothers and fathers and joined by marriage of one of each of their parents. Either way, discussing it would lead to this years 567th round of the perpetual virginity of Mary. :confused:

Matt.13:55......
"Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?"

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.