Catholics, what Bible translations do you use?

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a main translation? Do you use others? Lastly, why did you choose those translations?

I'm not yet Catholic but I've been reading the Douay Rheims. The decription of the Knox Bible interested me but I don't really like it. ESV Catholic edition seems interesting but I really don't connect to the modern language as much.

Any other thoughts on this?

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a main translation? Do you use others? Lastly, why did you choose those translations?

I'm not yet Catholic but I've been reading the Douay Rheims. The decription of the Knox Bible interested me but I don't really like it. ESV Catholic edition seems interesting but I really don't connect to the modern language as much.

I should have said that I still use the KJV and I consider just using a KJV with the deuterocanonical books.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I usually use Douay Rheims myself. I've got the NRSVCE stashed around here somewhere. But honestly, I haven't read a whole lot of it. It's good, I have nothing against NRSVCE, I simply haven't read a whole lot of it.

I settled in with Douay Rheims because I liked the elegance of the language. Plus, I later found out that the FSSP priest who welcomed me into the Church also uses DRB exclusively for his own private studies and devotions, which added to its cred with me.

I have nothing against KJV. But I honestly doubt I'll ever return to it, with or without the deuterocanonicals.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh ok. The New Jerome Biblical Commentary is a Bible too but they're different.
I have Bibles stashed here and there. If I run across it, I’ll post a pic. It’s been awhile since I've read that one.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I usually use Douay Rheims myself. I've got the NRSVCE stashed around here somewhere. But honestly, I haven't read a whole lot of it. It's good, I have nothing against NRSVCE, I simply haven't read a whole lot of it.

I settled in with Douay Rheims because I liked the elegance of the language. Plus, I later found out that the FSSP priest who welcomed me into the Church also uses DRB exclusively for his own private studies and devotions, which added to its cred with me.

I have nothing against KJV. But I honestly doubt I'll ever return to it, with or without the deuterocanonicals.
Cool, yeah I agree it's very elegant. Because I'm so used to the KJV though occasionally I read a verse and it is worded better (imo) in the KJV. Most times though I don't have a problem.

I've been considering an FSSP Church but it's in the next town over. I'm in Liverpool and the church is in Warrington if you want to get an idea on a map. I'd have to go to the city centre and then get a train to Warrington. There is a positive though. The Church is very close to the Warrington station.

There's a church here in Liverpool that does the Latin Mass but not exclusively.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cool, yeah I agree it's very elegant. Because I'm so used to the KJV though occasionally I read a verse and it is worded better (imo) in the KJV. Most times though I don't have a problem.

I've been considering an FSSP Church but it's in the next town over. I'm in Liverpool and the church is in Warrington if you want to get an idea on a map. I'd have to go to the city centre and then get a train to Warrington. There is a positive though. The Church is very close to the Warrington station.

There's a church here in Liverpool that does the Latin Mass but not exclusively.
Give it time. Summorum Pontificum is still being implemented.

For comparison, when I converted five years ago, there was exactly one parish offering the TLM within a 30 mile/48km radius. I live in a major metro in the US, fyi. It was a parish by FSSP.

Today, there are six parishes (still only one FSSP) that offer TLM on a weekly and/or daily basis. That's big progress right there!

So hang in there. I think the future will ultimately be pretty evenly divided between Novus Ordo and the trad liturgy. Catholics of our generation adore the TLM and that seems to only be increasing.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I often liked the Old Jerusalem more than the New Jerusalem, but occasionally the other way about.

Douai-Rheims are on web pages & very good. I much used a 19 th century version of the Authorised at one time. I have often loved the old RSV.

I had a beautifully printed and supplemented Revised but have passed it on. Knox is very nice literature. Philips is highly spoken of but I never owned one.

I now have NKJV and, for discussion purposes, Amplified.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

All fine. My go to for several years now has been the RSVCE, Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. A bit dated, but the Vatican used to use it. Available on-line at The Holy Bible. RSVCE until China shuts them down. Also available in a study Bible via Ignatius Press.

Look at Ignatius Press for a bunch of really good books. https://www.ignatius.com

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I probably didn't understand properly but you can still buy Douay Rheims Bibles.
Probably the most interesting older Bible is the Haydock Bible. if you scour old bookstores you might find one still. It is heavily annotated to be pretty much a commentary. It uses the Challoner revisions to the DRB. The Reprint goes for about $135 on Ebay. The original is hundreds more and comes in a variety of bindings. I touched one of these once but do not own one.

Upvote 0