[Catholics Only] What do you think about apostolic succession?

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The "Apostolic Churches" (our own Church and the Orthodox Churches), which have valid apostolic succession, make a fairly big deal out of this connection of ours to the apostles. Unfortunately, not every Christian has the same attitudes towards it, thinking that the concept is "unimportant" or even destructive. Others make false claims of having this connection to the first Christians. In any case, it's certainly worthy of discussion.

What do we all think of this Succession? How important is it that a Church have it? What do we say it even means? How do you go about showing the proofs for our claim to have it and its very importance?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My feeling is, that there are awesome and God-fearing Christians all over the place. But what I have also noticed among Protestants and even to an extent among the Orthodox, how much is up for debate. It's kind of incredible. And difficult, too.

Apostolic succession seems to help add a layer of concrete, spiritually, to the beams of the building, and gives something that we just don't have elsewhere. It does seem to make a difference. What I keep noticing is that even the holiest, kindest, and best of us on the outside can never, ever become a Saint Francis or Teresa of Avilla.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 10:15 - And how can anyone preach unless they are sent. That's a big one for me.

So many "pastors" today are pretty much self appointed or hired like a job.

Apostolic succession - what we have is that our teaching is based on Apostolic teaching. We may have some pastors (priests), that are lukewarm, or other issues, but we have 2000 years of teaching to lean on, and get us through the less than great pastors.

My brother and his wife are "church shopping" lately - main criteria - music and preaching style. They don't really even seem to be looking for truth.

I so wish our Church had better preachers, but Catholics are typically weak there, and our society puts high focus on that. But we have truth - and the truth is Jesus.

Is apostolic succession important - no - it's essential. It's a major part of unity and consistency. John 20:21 - "As the Father has sent me, so also I send you".

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apostolic Succession is the means by which the Holy Spirit guarantees that the Faith that was delivered by the Apostles from Christ remains unadulterated, meaning, what was believed in the beginning wasn't every truth of faith but what was believed is all true. There is nothing untrue that is believed. That is the fullness of truth. As the Spirit guides the Church in the Fullness of Truth The deposit of faith once delivered is continuously revealed until faith in Christ is complete in the knowledge of all Truth. Something that baffles me about not believing that is it's denial is a denial of God's power, knowledge and providence. If the Church apostisized in the first centuries and the fullness of Truth is lost, how could the Holy Spirit guide the Church to all truth? The yeast is bad the whole loaf is spoiled. I love our Protestant brother's but I can't understand how they find it difficult to believe that if God sowed the seed and committed to the care of the tree, tend it's growth, guard it from the enemy, how is it that it can die as a sapling? How is Christianity alive if their were no Christians for a 1000 years? Those kindsw of things are prevented because the Oral Tradition originated from the breath of Christ, continued it's Divine mission in the Preaching of the Word from the Apostles, handed down to men chosen by them to teach the Word of God to the whole World. There is no doubt in my mind that they expected their successors to teach the Truth in it's fullness until all Truth of Christ was known. Without Succession the whole thing crumbles and falls through the gates of hell. It's the Holy Spirit's glue that binds the Church as One Bread One Body of Christ.

Upvote 0