[Catholics Only] What do you do when you face a real sudden dry spell?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not sure if I'm just emotionally rebounding from the stresses of finals and graduation, but since last week sometime I've very suddenly felt completely dry, indifferent, like all of my zeal for faith was sucked right out of me.

I've slid back into my pet sins in a BIG way, whatever the equivalent of falling off the wagon is for my habits (not substance abuse, fyi) that's exactly what's happened - committing the sin several times a day. I definitely need to go to confession, but I don't feel compelled the way I had before, at one point I went three times in one week and now it's going to have been about 12 days or so since my last. Part of it might be that I'm afraid of making confession simply a 'gateway' to receiving the Eucharist, rather than looking for genuine contrition on my part.

Have anyone of you felt this way? What have you done, said, thought, listened to, watched, etc to get back on track?

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
If I remember it correctly you're relatively new as Catholic, right?
I would recommend talking to a spiritual advisor and have him help you.

There are many (if not most of them) instances of grave sins committed that are not mortal sins.

Please talk to your priest, a wanker doesnt necessarily send you to hell.
And that's good :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If I remember it correctly you're relatively new as Catholic, right?
I would recommend talking to a spiritual advisor and have him help you.

There are many (if not most of them) instances of grave sins committed that are not mortal sins.

Please talk to your priest, a wanker doesnt necessarily send you to hell.
And that's good :)

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure! I think the hardest thing when falling into sin is going to confession afterwards. I tend to try to read something edifying and interesting to shake me out of it. Nothing too heavy or too light. Prayers that God helps me through the valley helps too. We all go through it. Those that haven't will eventually. Mother Teresa went through a decades long dry spell!

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
First, as said, talk to your priests. You just got through conversion and school exams. Lots of stuff. For me, the times it has happened, I focused on music that drew my mind to God and some spiritual reading. The reading could be Scripture or some other thing of worth. Also, just take it slow. Continue to move toward God no matter how you feel or how you fail. Sometimes God does this to show us how to get to Him over and over. That He is there no matter how we feel. That He is not brought through feeling but is a reality even when we are dry. I find personally going to youtube and watching some Fulton Sheen is helpful to refresh.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure! I think the hardest thing when falling into sin is going to confession afterwards. I tend to try to read something edifying and interesting to shake me out of it. Nothing too heavy or too light. Prayers that God helps me through the valley helps too. We all go through it. Those that haven't will eventually. Mother Teresa went through a decades long dry spell!

First, as said, talk to your priests. You just got through conversion and school exams. Lots of stuff. For me, the times it has happened, I focused on music that drew my mind to God and some spiritual reading. The reading could be Scripture or some other thing of worth. Also, just take it slow. Continue to move toward God no matter how you feel or how you fail. Sometimes God does this to show us how to get to Him over and over. That He is there no matter how we feel. That He is not brought through feeling but is a reality even when we are dry. I find personally going to youtube and watching some Fulton Sheen is helpful to refresh.

Thank you both, those have been insightful posts. I'm a Fulton Sheen fan so I'll check into that.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My spiritual director tells me that our spiritual path is like a walk in the desert. Sure the time in the oasis is cool and sweet, but at most times we're trekking through the dryness of the desert. It's the dry times that form us as spiritual people.

I don't think it's any mistake that my dry times coincide with the times when I haven't embraced the life of the Church. As I long as I go to mass and otherwise stay engaged with the Church, things seem to go fairly well. During some dry spells, which literally come in the summer, it was my Small Christian Community that helped get me through. I've found getting through dry spells is just like a long walk in the desert. You simply put one foot in front of the other until you get to end.

Walks in the desert are also good for birds. Birds, for me, are a constant reminder of the goodness of God in my life. I've made it a point to get out in the wild to enjoy some silence and solitude and of course, birds. My life has been hectic as of late and this seems to help me regain my inner peace.

Being married to a cradle Catholic doesn't hurt either.

Reading your post, it seems like all you really need is another heartfelt confession. You might also look for a Spiritual Director. They can help a lot since they know your quirks.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Morning, midday and evening prayed.

~Psalms 23:1-6~

The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Amen.

Prayed morning midday and evening.

Wear Jesus on His Cross and Mother Mary's Holy Miraculous Medal after asking Jesus The Holy Spirit and Mother Mary to Bless these Holy articles including The Holy Scapular Brown or Green worn daily.

The closer in our relationship with Jesus in depth, satan evil spirits try to tempt more in to us committing sins. Keep repenting to Jesus one on ONE just prior to prayer in between weekly Confession times - from your heart in remorse and do not fret or ever give up.

Consecrate your heart to Jesus Sacred Heart of a morning daily and your heart and soul to our Blessed Virgin Mother Marys Holy Immaculate Heart daily while focussing on Jesus Bitter Passion, His Sufferings and His temptations by satan during the 40 days spent in the desert.

During prayer call upon all of Heaven to pray for you against the temptations of sin and for all of Gods Holy Angels Saints and Martyrs to pray for Jesus Loving Holy Strength Grace and the conquering of all sins daily and weekly. The weeks I do this are the "good better fantastic weeks" if I keep up praying daily or twice daily The Most Holy Rosary to Jesus The Holy Spirit and Mother Mary. The more I pray The Most Holy Rosary the more I am protected against sinning at all weekly; magnificent how Jesus and Mother Mary with The Holy Spirit protect through Mother Marys Most Holy Rosary because God with Jesus and The Holy Spirit and Mother Mary delivered it to Saint Dominic and other Saints with God saying:

"It is the greatest weapon against satan for all of mankind"

Indeed it is in every aspect during life.

"It is mans last mean/s of Salvation" God said

Pray to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit and to Mother Mary Jesus Divine Mercy Chaplet or Novena daily at either 2.30 - 3.00pm or around 3pm when Jesus suffered His Bitter Passion as He has requested of mankind.

As I have been I pray you will feel see and notice the changes and breaking by God of the pattern of sins in between Confessions. Staying away from the news, websites, magazines, newspapers television movies facebook and electronic devices decreases all sins most powerfully. The more rubbish in our lives the more satan tempts and uses those as weapons against our hearts souls and minds and bodies. Keep life simple basic in our Lord Jesus and Mother Mary our Holy Role Models of Whom did not use these things.

Technology is for the most part causing people us to sin far too much.

Removing these are key.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums