*Catholics only* St. Peter: Rock or stumbling stone?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How often have you heard that Catholicism can't be true, or that the doctrine of papal infallibility can't be true, because of this it that sin of s particular pope? It's a vommon musunderstanding, as if the truth of Catholicism required the personal sinlessness of every successive bishop of Rome.

Continued below.
St. Peter: Rock or Stumbling-Stone? | Catholic Answers

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing helps me make the most sense out of what is now happening; Christ turning to Peter and saying "get thee behind Me, Satan". So obviously, a Pope can be deeply wrong, and also under Satanic influence. And have in mind the things of men, not of God.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't go so far as to say Pope Francis is some how possessed by Satan. He is a man with alot of compassion and love for people the poor most of all. His words might not always be clear but his love for us is.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT

The office the Papacy will always be respected. As far as the person holding the office even when we disagree on matters of Prudential judgement there will be no flaming, name calling, or implications that he is not the Pope.

MOD HAT

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How often have you heard that Catholicism can't be true, or that the doctrine of papal infallibility can't be true, because of this it that sin of s particular pope? It's a vommon musunderstanding, as if the truth of Catholicism required the personal sinlessness of every successive bishop of Rome.

Continued below.
St. Peter: Rock or Stumbling-Stone? | Catholic Answers

What does Jesus Christ say about St. Peter?

Well, I never read in Scripture that Jesus Christ said you are Peter a stumbling-stone. Therefore we must go by St. Peter aka Rock because Jesus Christ said so, now how easy was that? lol We can shut down this thread now. lol

PanDeVida

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"First, why would the Pope be called rock, from the name of Peter, except because of constancy and solidity? Certainly if he is rock, he will not be broken nor carried around on every wind of doctrine. He will not err in faith at least insofar as he is the rock, that is, insofar as he is the Pope." - St. Robert Bellarmine

Source:
On the Roman Pontiff (De Controversiis) - Vol. 2, p. 160
Mediatrix Press
ISBN-10: 0692678751
ISBN-13: 978-0692678756

Last edited:
Upvote 0