Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is how Catholic colleges do things?

Sounds like how my liberal Quaker college did things. Why would a specifically Catholic college even allow a pro-homosexuality group on campus?
I don't think it's just catholic colleges.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catholic in name only it seems. How did this student take Catholic teaching out of context exactly? Shameful situation.

Actually, his poster was lovely, kind, and didn't even mention homosexuality. It mentioned Biblical marriage, husbands with wives, children, and creation.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly but yet he is being treated horribly. Depictions of him being anally raped, etc.
Actually, his poster was lovely, kind, and didn't even mention homosexuality. It mentioned Biblical marriage, husbands with wives, children, and creation.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly but yet he is being treated horribly. Depictions of him being anally raped, etc.
That's disgusting, and is definitely sexual harassment, and threatening. And sadly, sickly ironic.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Chick-fil-a was boycotted due to the remarks of the founder which were primarily critical of divorce. But the merest mention of traditional marriage, in any context, is enough to offend the modern soul.

Of course, in the case of Chick-fil-a the customer base continued to support the company, indeed they supported the company even more strongly in its time of adversity, so the boycott largely had no effect. But Catholic colleges won't have your back when you make statements in support of Catholic teaching.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is just embarrass and scandalous. Can't the church step in when Catholic schools act opposite to Catholic?
Maybe. Or maybe not. It used to be common that the bishop was the chairman of the board of a Catholic college, and that all board members were committed to the Catholic identity of a Catholic college. But then the Land O Lakes thing happened in 1968. And slowly the boards of Catholic colleges changed, bringing in more big money board members who might not be Catholic at all. And at a local college, when the new archbishop came in, he was not appointed to the board at all, as the other board members decided they didn't want him upsetting their school. So what we have is a decatholicising of Catholic college boards. There may be no option a local bishop has but to forbid them from calling themselves Catholic. Many such colleges are Catholic in name only and really are neither Catholic nor Christian any longer. Maybe a bishop can lobby a bit, but there is no way to actually take charge again in most places. I suspect the same trends have been occurring in Catholic hospitals and other Catholic institutions. The hospital where my children were born was a Catholic hospital. Through mergers the name is gone and it no longer appears to be Catholic in any way shape or form. I'm not going back to that hospital, preferring another independent one where many good Catholics are on the board.

Land O Lakes. That's the cause of the mess. And it may be too late for many formerly Catholic colleges. They engineered that outcome for fifty years, removing the Church step by step from the college. Now they are free of Church authority. If someone is looking for a Catholic college, beware of what you might be getting into. There are real Catholic colleges out there, but not as many as pretend to be Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There may be no option a local bishop has but to forbid them from calling themselves Catholic.
Then I firmly believe this option of forbidding them to use the Catholic label should be taken. It is a lie, and they are defaming the church. It's a form of fraud.

I ran into this problem in the CCD class I teach. My co-teacher has problems with the Church's teachings on premarital sex, and was telling the kids that they need to "search their hearts." I had to have a private talk with him that it was our responsibility to instruct in church teaching, not our private views. If he disagreed, and couldn't say, "This is what's true," then he could still say, "This is what the church teaches."

I think when teaching adults we should be by the book, although a little broader to give them the full picture. IOW "This is what the catechism says, this is what the CDF says, this is what the Pope has to say (and who knows what it means LOL). Further more, this is what trads have to say and this is what they base it on, and progressives make the following arguments, and sometimes these groups are within Church teaching, other times not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0