Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yesterday on Reddit someone shared this document from Pope St. John Paul II, specifically pointing out this excerpt (from Article 8) :

To avoid creating confusion, certain practices are to be avoided and eliminated where such have emerged in particular Churches:

— the habitual use of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion at Mass thus arbitrarily extending the concept of "a great number of the faithful".

What do you think of this? I mentioned in the OBOB chat that even though I go to a Novus Ordo, I try to conduct my end of things as if I were at a TLM. That is, among other things, I only receive the Eucharist on the tongue, and I prefer only to receive from Ordinary Ministers.

How do you guys feel about EMHC's? I don't feel personally like I have judgment for them, I just prefer a Mass without them. That's just my opinion.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well speaking as an EMHC, I have mixed feelings about it. I was actually asked by my priest to become an EMHC. But I also take communion to nursing and county homes and hospitals. I have done it at Masses and funeral Masses but slowly eased out of that aspect of it. I think those who deliver communion should absolutely be trained to be an EMHC. For obvious reasons. But I do think they are overused when it comes to Mass. The only time I understand that they are truly needed is during the holidays. Those times can be overwhelming with an unusually crowded Church, people having to stand, etc.
Yesterday on Reddit someone shared this document from Pope St. John Paul II, specifically pointing out this excerpt:

What do you think of this? I mentioned in the OBOB chat that even though I go to a Novus Ordo, I try to conduct my end of things as if I were at a TLM. That is, among other things, I only receive the Eucharist on the tongue, and I prefer only to receive from Ordinary Ministers.

How do you guys feel about EMHC's? I don't feel personally like I have judgment for them, I just prefer a Mass without them. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well speaking as an EMHC, I have mixed feelings about it. I was actually asked by my priest to become an EMHC. But I also take communion to nursing and county homes and hospitals. I have done it at Masses and funeral Masses but slowly eased out of that aspect of it. I think those deliver communion should absolutely be trained to be an EMHC. For obvious reasons. But I do think they are overused when it comes to Mass. The only time I understand that they are truly needed is during the holidays. Those times can be overwhelming with an unusually crowded Church, people having to stand, etc.

That makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Speaking as an EMHC, we should only be used when not having us around would cause Mass to "slow down". At my parish, our deacon only comes once a month, and both he and our pastor stand in front of the altar, forming two lines for the laity to receive the Body. Two EMHCs stand at either wall next to the pews with the cup for those in both lines who wish to receive it. If we didn't do this, Mass could easily last an hour longer than it does. It is in this situation where our use is warranted- but we shouldn't be used just for the sake of letting us participate further in the Mass. If everyone can "get out on time" without our help, then our help isn't warranted.

• Informative
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0