[Catholics Only] Petition to stop "consecration" of a female episcopal "bishop" in a Catholic parish

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if anybody had heard about this yet but the episcopal diocese of Southern Virginia is planning, with the apparent consent of the Catholic diocese there, to consecrate a woman as their bishop (in the episcopal church) in the confines of a Roman Catholic parish. This is sacrilegious and should be stopped. There is a Change.org petition circulating to demand that this mockery not happen in a Catholic parish, I thought I would leave it here in case anyone is interested in signing it.

Sign the petition

EDIT: It worked!

Last edited:

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is this "consecration" Catholic? Or something else?

Either way, it has no business happening in a Catholic parish.

No, it's an episcopal church consecration, but they're doing it in a Catholic parish. Twisted on multiple levels.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, it's an episcopal church consecration, but they're doing it in a Catholic parish. Twisted on multiple levels.
I see. Pardon the confusion. It's been a day.

And it's been a week too, oy.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I see. Pardon the confusion. It's been a day.

And it's been a week too, oy.

No no, that's my fault for not being clear originally. I'll edit my OP. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that though, amigo.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The reasoning is that this parish is has a very large church building and reception hall, the Episcopalians, Lutherans, Catholics, and I think even the Methodist are in some kind of ecumenical group down there so this is seen as being a good neighbor

In reality this is using a building that has been dedicated to God to help a false religion hold a ceremony that has no merit
Episcopalians lack valid holy orders, this was declared by Pope Leo XIII
And the consecration of a woman as bishop means that the sacrament does not have proper form or matter

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if anybody had heard about this yet but the episcopal diocese of Southern Virginia is planning, with the apparent consent of the Catholic diocese there, to consecrate a woman as their bishop (in the episcopal church) in the confines of a Roman Catholic parish. This is sacrilegious and should be stopped. There is a Change.org petition circulating to demand that this mockery not happen in a Catholic parish, I thought I would leave it here in case anyone is interested in signing it.

Sign the petition
I read about it earlier. Did not have the energy. The news I find anymore makes me feel bad just for posting it. There might be a posse out for me as well. :eek: Petition already signed. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Michie, Be glad that you are thought worthy by your words and actions to be considered as a person who is being watched.

As for this monstrosity of a ceremony, I think that it is highly likely that our Bishop was put on notice during his recent trip to Rome that there was a price to be paid for his being elevated to the office of Bishop.

And this is just the beginning of evidence being presented that he is unfortunately being "compliant" with Rome.

What a shame for him and an embarrassment for us, as his flock. :sigh::swoon:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
P. S. Can anyone else see a connection between wanting to use a Catholic Church in which to consecrate a female Bishop of the Episcopal Church, and wanting to worship a statue of Pachamama in the Vatican gardens??

blurring the lines between what is sacred and what is not, anyone?
What a sad time to live in.

Meanwhile, keep on praying for and supporting our good priests, keep on studying the Catechism, and keep on believing what is right.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

quote from the Lifeite News article, quoted above:

"Paragraph no. 137 specifically states:
“Catholic churches are consecrated or blessed buildings which have an important theological and liturgical significance for the Catholic community. There are therefore generally reserved for Catholic worship. However, if priests, ministers or communities not in full communion with the Catholic church do not have a place or the liturgical objects necessary for celebrating worthily their religious ceremonies, the diocesan bishop may allow them to the use of the church or a catholic building and also lend them what may be necessary for their services.”

Our RCIA class covered this possibility specifically.
In fact, our own parish has in the past borrowed a monstrance and an extra tabernacle from another Catholic church so that we could have an indoor procession from our sanctuary into our social hall during Lent, without at the same time depriving those who chose to remain behind within the sanctuary itself for contemplation of Our Lord's presence.

We have also had the assistance of two other Catholic Priests come and help out with Confession during Lent, so that all who wished to be confessed could do so within the Parish, rather than having to travel to another Catholic Parish.

I think that the idea of sharing with others what one has in a time of their need is a good one.
But I also recognize the difference between a need and a "want".

I think that this occasion listed above would not qualify as a need, but would qualify as a desired "want", since it is an occasion where the venue of preference was chosen for it's amenities, and not for it's ties to the Church that is requesting to rent it.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
  • Winner
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Good for Susan Haynes. What a charitable and respectful gesture on her part. :thumbsup:

But the take-away fact from this incident is that as a future Bishop and a leader of her church, when she was given a second opportunity to book a place in which to hold her ceremony, she once again chose a different church that was not of her chosen and declared faith in which to have her ceremony.

What kind of a message does her example send to others?
And would she advise others to follow her example?

Yes, there are lessons to be learned from this incident, and you have pointed out one of them.
Thank you for doing so.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
And there are perfectly valid reasons why a Catholic Bishop should strenuously object to a church in his diocese being used for such a ceremony. He may well be sad that her wishes cannot be met in the church of her choice, but in the fulfillment of his office as a Catholic Bishop, He cannot in good conscience approve what he knows will harm her and those who follow her.

1. in the Catholic Church, women cannot be consecrated as a Bishop or as a priest. And yet if a Catholic Bishop were to show approval for an Episcopal woman that which he cannot also approve for a Catholic woman (saying yes to one and no to the other) then one of those answers is wrong.

The act of Giving public approval as a Catholic Bishop to such a ceremony being held in a Catholic church located in the Catholic Bishop's own diocese, would be giving the public appearance of approval to condone/allow something that the Church itself does not permit, as though the said Bishop has received permission to go against Church beliefs, and to do so from the Pope.

Bishops do have an obligation to counsel and lead their flock in the right way. And doing that (even though it may hurt feelings at times) will in the end prove to be a benefit to them, and to others who also may stumble at some of the rules.

Wanting to do what other people in the World do is natural. But in the long run, for Catholics, doing things the right way and in accordance with what the Church teaches is far better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married