*Catholics only* Is one religion really as good as another?

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused. I do try to keep His commandments. Or what is the problem exactly?
Well, what are His Commandments? And does Holy Mother Church keep/conform with them?

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, what are His Commandments? And does Holy Mother Church keep/conform with them?
Love your neighbor and love God. But it doesn't end there. If these commandments are truly followed, you will cease to be Protestant, as you will understand that your works are so important.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love your neighbor and love God. But it doesn't end there. If these commandments are truly followed, you will cease to be Protestant, as you will understand that your works are so important.

Don't protestants strive to obey Jesus? One of the most holy and God-fearing Christians I've known are protestants

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well i dont want to sound uncompasionate and i do hope that all souls eventually get to heaven even the worst like hitler or stalin because i then i may have a slight chance myself.

However Jesus said no one comes to the father except through me.. so that kind of scuppers hindus muslims buddhists etc

As for none catholic christians jesus also said to his apostles whoever rejects you rejects me and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me... therefore i think it is of the utmost importance to make sure your in union with the church that has apostolic succesion.

Now i also believe the lord is mercifull and forgiving and he will save whom he wishes outside of the faith but to presume mercy is a sin against the holy spirit so its certainly not the chosen method ordained by God for salvation but i think none catholic christians who reject christ indirectly by rejecting the church have a better chance of salvation than those who reject christ directly such as muslims hindus etc

I firmly believe there is no salvation outside the catholic church so i would ha e to conclude that no.. one religion is not as good as another because because other than faithfully following the teachings of the catholic faith all other religions lead to eternal damnation except for maybe extreme or extremely rare cases where our lord in his love mercy and forgivness actually contradicts his own holy word.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry. In my attempt to lighten things up I did not get the wink in. It happens on a phone.
The link is to a humour isn't it? So I found it funny, though borderline blasphemous. Is it a Catholic resource?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I know. But I disagree. Is it a problem?
Yes, it is a problem. I urge you to humble yourself and submit to the Church's authority. If all Jesus wanted for us was to "believe in Him", our shortest gospel wouldn't be as long as 16 chapters. There's a lot more to Christianity than believing that Jesus exists: you also have to believe in what He taught, and it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Don't protestants strive to obey Jesus? One of the most holy and God-fearing Christians I've known are protestants
If that's the case, then you should strive to live as they do, so eventually a protestant can say, "You know what? One of the most holy and God-fearing Christians I've met is a Catholic".

It's great if a protestant is holy and God-fearing, but again- there's just a little more to it than that. Jesus instituted an ordained priesthood- if a church doesn't have priests, it's in error. Jesus taught that the Eucharist is His body and blood- if a church doesn't teach that, they're in error. Jesus revealed His divinity to His disciples- if a church doesn't profess Jesus' divinity, then they are in error.

Christianity isn't a cafeteria. You don't get to pick and choose. Jesus doesn't give us that option. You have to follow Him on His terms, not your own, and no one else's.

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is a problem. I urge you to humble yourself and submit to the Church's authority. If all Jesus wanted for us was to "believe in Him", our shortest gospel wouldn't be as long as 16 chapters. There's a lot more to Christianity than believing that Jesus exists: you also have to believe in what He taught, and it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

If that's the case, then you should strive to live as they do, so eventually a protestant can say, "You know what? One of the most holy and God-fearing Christians I've met is a Catholic".

It's great if a protestant is holy and God-fearing, but again- there's just a little more to it than that. Jesus instituted an ordained priesthood- if a church doesn't have priests, it's in error. Jesus taught that the Eucharist is His body and blood- if a church doesn't teach that, they're in error. Jesus revealed His divinity to His disciples- if a church doesn't profess Jesus' divinity, then they are in error.

Christianity isn't a cafeteria. You don't get to pick and choose. Jesus doesn't give us that option. You have to follow Him on His terms, not your own, and no one else's.

I understand. But then I start thinking, what if I as a Christian go to live, for exemple, to a City in central China with no Catholic chutch?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I understand. But then I start thinking, what if I as a Christian go to live, for exemple, to a City in central China with no Catholic chutch?
China is pretty hostile territory to Christians- Silence by Shusaku Endo comes to mind. Still, you can't sacrifice your Catholic faith because it would be "easier" to live as a non-Catholic Christian. It's unacceptable to God. You would be forced to live out your Catholic faith in a minimal way, but that wouldn't be an excuse to cease being Catholic and join a "less demanding" Christian sect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
China is pretty hostile territory to Christians- Silence by Shusaku Endo comes to mind. Still, you can't sacrifice your Catholic faith because it would be "easier" to live as a non-Catholic Christian. It's unacceptable to God. You would be forced to live out your Catholic faith in a minimal way, but that wouldn't be an excuse to cease being Catholic and join a "less demanding" Christian sect.

What I mean is, what if I live in a place there there isn't a church in a 500km radius?

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What I mean is, what if I live in a place there there isn't a church in a 500km radius?
Say your rosary and other prayers, make spiritual communions, avoid mortal sin, and love God and seek to do His will anyway you can.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The first step would be contacting the bishop of the diocese (every part of every country is considered part of a diocese, unless the Church isn't present there). He could grant a dispensation, which means you would not be obliged to attend Mass. He could also provide direction on how to live according to your particular situation.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No not every religion is equal. Unless we submit that truth is relative. Which we do not.

Personally I would rather follow the Church founded by Jesus Christ then the church started by a stark raving satan obsessed poop eating vow breaking lunatic.

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No not every religion is equal. Unless we submit that truth is relative. Which we do not.

Personally I would rather follow the Church founded by Jesus Christ then the church started by a stark raving satan obsessed poop eating vow breaking lunatic.
Could you imagine if everyone with OCD started a new church or religion?

Upvote 0