*Catholics only* Is one religion really as good as another?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't matter what Christuan denomination you join, as long as you're sincere. This may sound like a claim that we often hear in today's culture. We live in a world ruled by the dictatorship of relativism.

But back in 1887, Fr. John McLaughlin grappled with the question of whether one religion is as good as another. It's an age old question, reaching back into the early days of the Church.

Continued below.
https://epicpew.com/one-religion-good-another/

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think that most people adopt a position of indifferentism because they don't see religion as dealing with truth. It's more a matter of comfort or social status for many people, so asking about the "correct" religion strikes them as asking about what is the "true" sports team to root for or the "true" club to join.

How you can be part of a religion with teachings on the nature of God, the world, morality, etc. and not realize that religion says something about what is true is beyond me, but that does seem to be how many people approach the matter.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
No freedom of speech? Not even one short sentence? Will you burn me on a stake for that? :)

No id like you to read the headline of the thread before posting...

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A moderator has come in just a couple days ago and said you must respect *Catholic Only* in the title.

I'm a Catholic. I just don't make a big deal out of it. All who are believers in the Lord Jesus are as Christians as I am. I don't think denominations are of any importance. That's why I chose generic "Christian" designation when registering here. I didn't want to be dragged into any denomination-based arguments.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well if you want to post in the Catholic safe haven you need to identify yourself as such and change your faith status.
I'm a Catholic. I just don't make a big deal out of it. All who are believers in the Lord Jesus are as Christians as I am. I don't think denominations are of any importance. That's why I chose generic "Christian" designation when registering here. I didn't want to be dragged into any denomination-based arguments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Adding this to the long list of books I need to get! I haven't finished reading this article yet, but I really loved the part about the conversion of Cornelius the Centurion, I need to remember that!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can kind of understand that people want to be neutral about these things. They say stuff like that mostly to keep the peace. It's a polite way of changing the subject.

They mean well but they're simply wrong. Invincible ignorance could allow for the possibility that non-Catholics will go to Heaven but I think most of us agree that best practice is to join the Catholic Church for a greater degree of confidence.

Saying one religion is as good as another is a bit of a disservice to the martyrs who, needless to say, had a slightly different opinion about that subject. It's basically saying "Hey, that death you died which my Church is STILL inspired by was totally worthless. Religion is no big deal! You probably should've just gone along, you know?"

No freedom of speech?
Nope.

The Catholic Church teaches there's a wee bit more to it than you said. Therefore you're teaching against Catholicism, which isn't allowed on this board.

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church teaches there's a wee bit more to it than you said. Therefore you're teaching against Catholicism, which isn't allowed on this board.

I know. But I disagree. Is it a problem? I think some people think the same way I do even in my parish. I haven't asked everyone, of course.

• Haha
Reactions: SaNcTaMaRiA
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catholicism is not a denomination.

Interesting! Makes sense, though. English isn't my native language, so I thought the word "denomination" may apply to Catholicism as well. Like, any particular form of Christianity: Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Protestantism and all the divisions within the above.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know. But I disagree. Is it a problem? I think some people think the same way I do even in my parish. I haven't asked everyone, of course.
It is, because Our Lord said that if we Love Him, we would keep His commandments.

Upvote 0