United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So I went to confession earlier this month, and then I went a second time yesterday to make sure I got everything, because I'm getting confirmed today. But just this morning, I remembered another sin I forgot to confess. I didn't confess it because I thought it only happened before my baptism, but then this morning I remembered it might have been after too. Also, at the time I committed the sin, I didn't know it was a sin. Am I in a state of grace?

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I went to confession earlier this month, and then I went a second time yesterday to make sure I got everything, because I'm getting confirmed today. But just this morning, I remembered another sin I forgot to confess. I didn't confess it because I thought it only happened before my baptism, but then this morning I remembered it might have been after too. Also, at the time I committed the sin, I didn't know it was a sin. Am I in a state of grace?
Hi P,
I'm not sure what they're teaching in RCIA these days,
but whatever they taught you is good.

I'm sure they said that today only mortal sins have to be confesssed, unless you choose to do otherwise.
And you must confess at least once per year, preferably at Easter time.

So...
1. Know what TYPE of sin you committed.

2. If it's a venial sin, you could confess it directly to God.

3. If it's a mortal sin and you can't get to confession,,,,you can still go through your confirmation, with the knowledge that you will confess it asap.

It's confession by desire in the case of mortal sin...but then it must be followed through.

If it's a venial sin, you are under grace...no problem.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Other comments have provided good information.

What I’ll say is that I understand the rules. But if I remember a forgotten mortal sin later, I go ahead and confess it next time anyway.

I don’t expect anybody else to do that so don’t interpret this a criticism. I only do this to ensure honesty on my own part.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi P,
I'm not sure what they're teaching in RCIA these days,
but whatever they taught you is good.

I'm sure they said that today only mortal sins have to be confesssed, unless you choose to do otherwise.
And you must confess at least once per year, preferably at Easter time.

So...
1. Know what TYPE of sin you committed.

2. If it's a venial sin, you could confess it directly to God.

3. If it's a mortal sin and you can't get to confession,,,,you can still go through your confirmation, with the knowledge that you will confess it asap.

It's confession by desire in the case of mortal sin...but then it must be followed through.

If it's a venial sin, you are under grace...no problem.
Please stop spreading lies.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Everything I hear tells me my sin was absolved even though I forgot to confess it (or accidentally didn't because I didn't realize I had to). But for some reason, because of my OCD, I just can't seem to shake the feeling that if I receive communion, I could be sinning. I can't get my mind off it. Please pray for me. It was absolved, wasn't it? I can receive communion like this, right?

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everything I hear tells me my sin was absolved even though I forgot to confess it (or accidentally didn't because I didn't realize I had to). But for some reason, because of my OCD, I just can't seem to shake the feeling that if I receive communion, I could be sinning. I can't get my mind off it. Please pray for me. It was absolved, wasn't it? I can receive communion like this, right?
Yes

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stop worrying about what God has forgotten.
Have a wonderful confirmation day.
You're confirming your baptism into the Christian faith.
Be happy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not going to derail the O.P. thread because it's very important to him...

But I'd LOVE to know what you THINK I'm misrepresenting...

You could PM me.
I could but I won’t. Just stop.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The title says Catholics only. I have no idea why some seem to think it excludes them when they no longer claim to be Catholic. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
I could but I won’t. Just stop.
I haven't stated anything wrongly.
If you think I have, you should state so for the benefit of those reading along.

What did I post that you believe is incorrect?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is an advise thread asking help from fellow Catholics. Please stop presenting yourself as a practicing Catholic on this forum. You are only allowed to fellowship. Not give advise or debate. It's simple.
I haven't stated anything wrongly.
If you think I have, you should state so for the benefit of those reading along.

What did I post that you believe is incorrect?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry for the derail Porpoise. Be assured your sins, even the ones honestly forgotten are forgiven. You can always mention it next confession to give you peace of mind. Prayers for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is an advise thread asking help from fellow Catholics. Please stop presenting yourself as a practicing Catholic on this forum. You are only allowed to fellowship. Not give advise or debate. It's simple.
Who's debating?
Every word I posted is correct.
BTW, Catholics are Christian too.
If it has to say "catholic" under my avatar then I do apologize....
If not, then one that knows Catholic doctrine SHOULD post...

Upvote 0