Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother in law is sick and I got distracted but plan on reading chapter 1 and 2 after lunch. I will be commenting on it today.

I am praying for her. I will read chapter 2 between today and tomorrow. I have both my jobs today - Saturday.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just finished the first chapter. I agree with your observations. And as the chapter is titled: The only person pre-announced. I have always seen the types and shadows throughout the OT so that was interesting to me to see it through Fulton Sheen's eyes. The main lines that stood out to me was at the end of the chapter and so timelessly true:

But He will not allow us to pick and choose among His words, discarding the hard ones, and accepting the ones that please our fancy. We need a Christ Who will restore moral indignation, Who will makes us hate evil with a passionate intensity, and love goodness to a point where we can drink death like water.

This seems to be very relevant to what we see people do with their faith today. They tend to leave out the parts that do not fit their agendas. They feel it should not cost them or inconvenience them. They want to fit in wherever they are or whomever they are with. I think these last few lines show that faith should be transformative and change our priorities.

Okay Michie. I read the first chapter :). I can tell you that this is going to be a great journey. Blessed Fulton Sheen is amazing. I have never thought about how Jesus is the only one to have had his coming written down and prophesied about. The part about Him splitting time between A.D. and B.C. was also very enlightening.

Going to be a fun Lent :)!

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm doing the same thing as usual for Lent...doing some readings every day, because there isn't much I could give up. I will try to do some good deeds during Lent as well.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Lent!

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I reread Life of Christ by Venerable Archbishop Sheen each lent if I can. I an doing that as well as rereading Cardinal Sarah's The Power of Silence. Then if I can I am going to read What Jesus Saw From The Cross.

I am also keeping a prayer and reading journal this lent. In CCD I am teaching classes on relativism, two of St. Thomas Aquinas arguments for God's existence, and the Catholic Church and Science.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's 12:25 now on the west coast, so it's officially Ash Wednesday here. I thought I'd make a big thread here on OBOB for us to tap into throughout the Lenten season.

I've been so busy since November that I haven't given it much thought about what I would give up for Lent. I think since I don't know at this point, that I'm not going to give up something, but I am going to read a book that my priest recommended a year ago called A Doctor at Calvary by Dr. Pierre Barbet. I've brought it up a couple times, and never got around to reading it (I've been bad at tackling my reading list lately... or for several years). Basically it digs into the physiological experience of Christ during his passion, and some of the more nuanced aspects of his pain that we don't realize.

One thing I remember my priest talking about on Good Friday last year was that Dr. Barbet noted when Christ was sweating blood in Gethsemane, that actually meant his capillaries were bursting and dilating, meaning they were much much more sensitive than normal, thus the pain he suffered from the abuse and torture thereafter was augmented.

Blows my mind every time I think about it.

Any special thoughts or plans for Lent? What's your tradition and ritual beyond the usual?

Well, I just got off work but I should get to bed... gotta get up in 7.5 hours to go to Mass.

Also, this:

t3p9vh3863g01.jpg

tapping your post. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums