Catholics need to start again in many ways, in how we live and participate in civil society....

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...And Cardinal Tobin isn’t helping

A plea for something better from people of faith.

Newark’s Cardinal Tobin has saidthat it is more problematic to vote for Donald Trump than for Joe Biden. With all due respect, I don’t know that he should be making that call in either direction. The bishops’ role is to inform consciences. He seems to think we are beyond “single issue” voting. Unfortunately, I think he buys into some cultural lies in his implication. By single issue, we, of course, know he means abortion. But here’s the thing: Abortion has never been a single issue. The riots in the streets? They are about a lot more than racism. I’d never do it, but I’ve lately had the urge to run through the streets screaming, “We’re still killing babies.” The primal screams we see and hear and read about in all sorts of manifestations have to do with the grave poison in our cultural, legal, and political bloodstreams. Abortion kills. And more than the baby. It harms the woman. It wrecks families. It always changes things. Think about little things in your life that have had enduring impacts. Sometimes unintentional things, sometimes evil. Abortion is evil. It pits a mother against her child. We pretend it is health care. We pretend it’s necessary. We don’t even say necessary evil. We celebrate it (Andrew Cuomo’s lighting up the Freedom Tower and the bridge he named after his father always seems to be a most perverse example) and literally have women shouting their abortions.

genocide in Iraq and Syria. He — and my friend Andrew Walther, now at EWTN — made the John Kerry State Department pay attention to the plight of the Christians and other religious minorities there. Anderson and Walther were helping them like no one else was, doing things the U.S. government wouldn’t and couldn’t do. Anderson has executive and even White House experience. If I thought I could have convinced him to run for real, I would have. He’s a good man. I have had sitting at my right hand while working for a few weeks Peggy Noonan’s When Character Was King. I don’t want to be nostalgic about that. I want to fight for that. Instead of telling Catholics whom they can vote for by name, I’d like to see bishops talk about virtue and how we are going to get beyond this culture of death we are living in. And like Tobin, I don’t just mean abortion. But, dear heavens, abortion is a scourge we are all poisoned by.

Continued below.
Donald Trump & Joe Biden: Catholic Vote? | National Review

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...And Cardinal Tobin isn’t helping

A plea for something better from people of faith.

Newark’s Cardinal Tobin has saidthat it is more problematic to vote for Donald Trump than for Joe Biden. With all due respect, I don’t know that he should be making that call in either direction. The bishops’ role is to inform consciences. He seems to think we are beyond “single issue” voting. Unfortunately, I think he buys into some cultural lies in his implication. By single issue, we, of course, know he means abortion. But here’s the thing: Abortion has never been a single issue. The riots in the streets? They are about a lot more than racism. I’d never do it, but I’ve lately had the urge to run through the streets screaming, “We’re still killing babies.” The primal screams we see and hear and read about in all sorts of manifestations have to do with the grave poison in our cultural, legal, and political bloodstreams. Abortion kills. And more than the baby. It harms the woman. It wrecks families. It always changes things. Think about little things in your life that have had enduring impacts. Sometimes unintentional things, sometimes evil. Abortion is evil. It pits a mother against her child. We pretend it is health care. We pretend it’s necessary. We don’t even say necessary evil. We celebrate it (Andrew Cuomo’s lighting up the Freedom Tower and the bridge he named after his father always seems to be a most perverse example) and literally have women shouting their abortions.

genocide in Iraq and Syria. He — and my friend Andrew Walther, now at EWTN — made the John Kerry State Department pay attention to the plight of the Christians and other religious minorities there. Anderson and Walther were helping them like no one else was, doing things the U.S. government wouldn’t and couldn’t do. Anderson has executive and even White House experience. If I thought I could have convinced him to run for real, I would have. He’s a good man. I have had sitting at my right hand while working for a few weeks Peggy Noonan’s When Character Was King. I don’t want to be nostalgic about that. I want to fight for that. Instead of telling Catholics whom they can vote for by name, I’d like to see bishops talk about virtue and how we are going to get beyond this culture of death we are living in. And like Tobin, I don’t just mean abortion. But, dear heavens, abortion is a scourge we are all poisoned by.

Continued below.
Donald Trump & Joe Biden: Catholic Vote? | National Review
If you ever feel down about US politics take a peek at the UK's political situation. There are no voting options. Both of the main political parties are bad. I'm not into politics because it makes me angry. I don't really understand who a Christian in the UK could support politically.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Even beyond the immediate issue of abortion there are other substantial issues to consider where I think Trump is valid for Catholics.

Such as:
1) Religious Liberty should be a major area of concern. The whole abortion and contraception mandates in Obamacare vs. groups like the Little Sisters, and past statements of Hillary that religious groups need to concede issues of conscience on abortion, homosexuality etc. Trump in contrast actually has been working in the opposite direction and wants to safe guard religious liberty from govermental intrusion.

2) Peace and Social Order at home. The Democrats have given lots of direct and indirect support to BLM, Antifa, etc. groups that have been committing arson, rioting etc.

3) Peace abroad. Trump actually wants less wars and military interventions abroad and wants to bring our troops home.

I guess the one issue that stands out in contrast is the Catholic support of illegal immigration, but that really is an issue I think they should seriously re-examined. It tends to always be framed purely in the most sympathetic terms, when there is lots of other stuff going on. I also am very surprised at simply from the rule of law perspective... Saint Paul supported the Roman government with all its flaws, and I think it is easy to make the case that the US government is better than pagan Rome's, and substantially better than ones like that of Hitler and Mussolini where you would actually be disobeying the law in secret much of the time.

Upvote 0