Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: The dictatorship of relativism Pope Benedict XVI warned about is here in full force.

With Donald Trump no longer president, Catholics in the post-Trump era face the question of how to best respond to the person and the presidency of Donald J. Trump. For many committed supporters, Trump and his legacy poses no dilemma. They are proud to vehemently defend him. For the Catholic voter who cast a ballot for Trump reluctantly, however, the matter is more complicated. Many fear social reprisals by a punitive cancel culture — by those who show intolerance to those with whom they disagree. I would like to speak here to those Catholics in particular, though my broader observations are aimed at all Catholics concerned about the state of the culture and country and where we go from here.

As for those who cast a vote for Trump reluctantly, perhaps as the lesser of two evils, and fear being attacked for your decision, I say this: you have no public responsibility to explain to anyone why you voted as you did. Your vote is your private affair. You need not divulge it to anyone. In a civic sense, your vote is sacrosanct. If an intolerant colleague in the workplace demands to know how you voted in order to browbeat or hold it against you, let that person know it isn’t his or her business.

Continued below.
Catholics in a Post-Trump and Post-Truth Era

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It will be an era most difficult, less because it’s post-Trump than post-truth."

The article makes it sound like truth goes out with Trump. In reality one of my biggest problems with Trump was his lying. I can handle difference of opinion on policy but blatant lying is a non negotiable for me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Guinan
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It will be an era most difficult, less because it’s post-Trump than post-truth."

The article makes it sound like truth goes out with Trump. In reality one of my biggest problems with Trump was his lying. I can handle difference of opinion on policy but blatant lying is a non negotiable for me.
The problem is you are are being lied to on both sides of the coin.

Upvote 0